One week till FIRE!

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi everyone,
DH and I will both FIRE on Nov. 4. We are very excited! Thanks to all on this site who have advised on various topics. I especially appreciate the advice not to extend my notice period beyond 30 days. That advice has proven to be very sound.

I have referred several others considering ER to this site. It has been an excellent resource for me and I envision that to continue as I adjust to ER.

Good job and congrats!

We just booked a scuba/snorkeling trip for July 2018, one year after our expected E.R. Looking forward to joining you!

The Nai'a in Tonga with the Humpbacks. Given our then-retired status, will probably will add another trip with them in Fiji a few weeks earlier to amortize the travel time/cost. Diving Fiji, especially with that boat, is amazing--as it should be for the price. :eek:

Never been on the Nai'a but sounds great. We did Palau earlier this year - Ocean Hunter III.

Never been on the Nai'a but sounds great. We did Palau earlier this year - Ocean Hunter III.

Nice! That is definitely on our list--trying to dive those destinations while working is difficult. We've only gone past Hawaii twice since 1990; having the time to make South Pacific and Indian Ocean trips (and extend them to get land time) is a major impetus/dream for early retirement.

Hopefully, you'll be able to take advantage with planning beginning this week. :dance:

Congrats to you and DH, Scuba! Welcome to a much calmer world. :D:D

Congrats.

It is amazing when you have no work time constraints and can piggyback one trip location on to another and thus make an extended trip out of it.

Plus, the ability to take advantage of last minute travel offers or travel during shoulder season, or make travel plans based on currency fluctuations in the country you plan to visit! With absolutely zero work considerations.

FIRED yesterday. So happy! [emoji41]

Congratulations!! Any immediate plans with how you want to spend your FIRE time? I need to live vicariously here...

We live in Southern CA and the weather has been awesome, so last week I went for a 6 mile hike, walked my dog for 15+ miles, went stand-up paddle boarding, went to two water aerobics classes, and went for a nice bike ride along the beach. Took a nap one day and have read two books so far. DH and I had a party for about 30 friends on Sat. night so we were also busy preparing for that. It was a great first week of retirement!!!

This week, I've been walking my dog but I've had a lot of other plans which have cut into how much exercising I can do. Had lunch with a university mentorship program director on Monday to discuss volunteer opportunities, went to a museum in LA on Tuesday with neighbors, and had lunch with a friend and former colleague today.

After being retired for all of 12 days, my advice is not to make too many plans initially. It's nice to just be spontaneous and see what you feel like doing each day. One thing I have only done twice since retiring is setting an alarm to wake up. It is really nice to wake up when I want!

Back
Top Bottom