Photographer's Corner - equipment

imo, drones, when used as toys for personal entertainment, are annoying. One person enjoys their use, and the rest of the people in the area have to listen to the annoying drone.

I fully support use in safety, crime & other areas where there is a social good or they replace even noisier, more annoying aircraft.

Far less noisy and less annoying than a neighbor cutting his lawn, using a chainsaw, the guy with the Harley, and a hundred other things we are required to tolerate. Don't really want one myself, though I wouldn't mind playing with one for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I went hiking in the hills over Palo Alto a few months ago. I expected to have a quiet picnic at the top, but when I arrived a group of 3-4 engineers were flying a drone around the summit (hey, this is Silicon Valley after all!). I think it was this model. The drone even invited itself into one of my pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_7890.jpg
    IMG_7890.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 15
imo, drones, when used as toys for personal entertainment, are annoying. One person enjoys their use, and the rest of the people in the area have to listen to the annoying drone.

+1

Went for an early morning walk around a lake the other day and had to listen to some dude flying a drone.

It didn't fly into my picture like with FIREd but still very loud despite how high it was.

Thanksfully they are banned from national parks.

Attachments

• 10428482_10204701909526616_377007579806583115_n.jpg
    10428482_10204701909526616_377007579806583115_n.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 10622861_10204701909566617_4959970263179835744_n.jpg
    10622861_10204701909566617_4959970263179835744_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 9
Finally got around to setting up my telescope and camera gear. Going to try for some moon pictures over the next few days. It's been about 20 years since I last used this setup. I'm waiting for some more attachment hardware that will let me do eyepiece projection photos so, right now, I'm limited to prime focus shots. The scope is a 3.5 inch Questar if I remember correctly it is about f15 camera is a Canon DSLR.

Attachments

• Telescope.jpg
    Telescope.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Being a photographer often means being a MacGuyver lol. Heard a lot of complaints about glare on LCDs during shooting. The old flat screen cameras had folding hoods or something to block light. Haven't seen for compacts. I had an old camera case for a Nikon EM, and the AW1 fit it, but I couldn't leave the camera in the case while shooting because it covered the LCD screen. A little trimming, and the front if the case became a hood for the LCD. It needs to be prettied up - the leather was cracking - but here's a couple iPhone photos of the concept.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409338532.768033.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409338559.524715.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409338595.224759.jpg

I tried it out in the sun today and it worked fine. It's not affixed, just slips on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Being a photographer often means being a MacGuyver lol. Heard a lot of complaints about glare on LCDs during shooting.
That is why I like an optical viewer in addition to the LCD. Standard in SLRs but uncommon in lower end cameras. My Cannon G11 has one and I use it more than the screen.

That is why I like an optical viewer in addition to the LCD. Standard in SLRs but uncommon in lower end cameras. My Cannon G11 has one and I use it more than the screen.

I, too, much prefer the viewfinder -- composition and other controls is much more intuitive and, of course, it is hard to hold any camera steady at arms length. However, my Canon EOS-M has only the LCD because it has no mirror. The same is true of my 7D when taking video (no mirror).

On the other hand, cameras like my SX30IS can take shots that are not easily taken with the viewfinder because the LCD flips out and swivels. I can take shots at ground level or from high above my head (over crowds, for instance) with ease.

In any event, Viewfinder is my choice, hands down.

I, too, much prefer the viewfinder -- composition and other controls is much more intuitive and, of course, it is hard to hold any camera steady at arms length. However, my Canon EOS-M has only the LCD because it has no mirror. The same is true of my 7D when taking video (no mirror).

On the other hand, cameras like my SX30IS can take shots that are not easily taken with the viewfinder because the LCD flips out and swivels. I can take shots at ground level or from high above my head (over crowds, for instance) with ease.

In any event, Viewfinder is my choice, hands down.
The Cannon G9-11 are not SLRs with mirrors but they have viewfinders and swivel screens. I like both features.

The Cannon G9-11 are not SLRs with mirrors but they have viewfinders and swivel screens. I like both features.

So how does the image get from the lens to the viewfinder? (I had a G-2 and a G-6 but never thought about it.)

I do agree that both methods are desirable but simply prefer the viewfinder.

So how does the image get from the lens to the viewfinder? (I had a G-2 and a G-6 but never thought about it.)

I do agree that both methods are desirable but simply prefer the viewfinder.
I don't actually know. The viewfinder acts like viewfinders in SLRs (e.g. the image zooms in an out with the zoom button) Maybe there is an lcd screen inside the viewfinder. Whatever, it works well.

I prefer the optical as well, but the AW1 is an underwater camera ( my only reason for having it) so no flash connector or attachable viewfinder. The McGuyvered case lets me brace the camera on my face. My visual focus is off that close to the LCD but good good enough for composition. I trust the cameras AF.

I don't actually know. The viewfinder acts like viewfinders in SLRs (e.g. the image zooms in an out with the zoom button) Maybe there is an lcd screen inside the viewfinder. Whatever, it works well.

Actually, all SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras have a mirror -- the viewfinder looks directly through the lens in a periscope-type manner. The "Zoom" is a function of the lens.

In looking at pictures of the Canon G11, it appears that the viewfinder views straight through the camera and is above and to the right of the lens. This would mean that when close to the scene, the photograph would be lower and off-center to the left of what you intended. I believe this was called "parallax" back in the days of cheap Kodak film cameras. If that is the case, there would, of course, be no mirror.

Actually, all SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras have a mirror -- the viewfinder looks directly through the lens in a periscope-type manner. The "Zoom" is a function of the lens.

In looking at pictures of the Canon G11, it appears that the viewfinder views straight through the camera and is above and to the right of the lens. This would mean that when close to the scene, the photograph would be lower and off-center to the left of what you intended. I believe this was called "parallax" back in the days of cheap Kodak film cameras. If that is the case, there would, of course, be no mirror.
Yeah, I just dragged it out and looked at it. The viewer is fairly close to the lens -- just above and slightly to the right. The parallax effects are noticeable but not a big deal with most vacation style photography that I do. Most notable is that the viewfinder displays a smaller image area than the sensor (and LCD screen) capture. Again, not really a problem for most of what I do. The greatest value is in bright sunlit situations. LCD screens can be difficult to see in bright light but the viewfinder is excellent. The viewfinder, of course, is not useful for closeup work. When I copy documents, for example, I use the screen to frame and focus.

Interesting.

Canon Celebrates 80th Anniversary of First Camera

Kwanon-1934-Camera.jpg

From Canon:

TOKYO, September 2, 2014—Canon Inc. commemorated today the 80th anniversary of the birth of Japan’s first 35mm focal-plane-shutter camera, dubbed the Kwanon, which was produced in prototype form in 1934.

The engineers who created the camera decided to name it after Kwannon, the Buddhist goddess of mercy, hoping the deity would share her benevolence as they pursued their dream to produce the world’s finest camera. The camera’s lens, called Kasyapa—after Mahakasyapa, a disciple of Buddha—also took its name from Buddhism. Additionally, the top portion of the camera body featured an engraving depicting the thousand-armed Kwannon.

[Mod edit]

Canon Celebrates 80th Anniversary of First Camera

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my eye-FI x2 card in the mail today and tried it out. Works great with the laptop, but RAW files don't transfer well to the iPad. I get a low resolution 11 mb file that is only as good as a thumbnail. The website said it's because some devices don't display RAW files, but I load and edit RAW files on my iPad on a regular basis. Not a problem - I'll just transfer JPEGs for previews and load the RAWs by wire when I'm ready (or wirelessly to the laptop). After previewing the JPEGs I can wipe them and any RAWS I don't intend to use.

Need a new archiving hard drive other than the old Linux box I'm using. Considering a Mac mini, with a 27" monitor for detailed and more professional work. Can take it in the RV and use something else as a monitor for mobile work - the iPad is great for FB and Flickr accounts. Need to think about it.

Anyone ever have a photo book printed? What service/software did you use? I just did one in Blurb out of Lightroom. Not impressed. Now I'm looking into Shutterfly.

Not sure about a whole book but yeah I tried a couple of prints out of Aperture, wasn't impressed.

Heard that you can get decent prints at Costco, Walmart but if you really want something ambitious, like larger prints, then there are more boutique services. Forget what they are though.

Anyone ever have a photo book printed? What service/software did you use? I just did one in Blurb out of Lightroom. Not impressed. Now I'm looking into Shutterfly.
I did one I liked on Shutterfly.

I've done several in Blurb out of LR just because it was easy to to the layout in LR rather than on a web site. I wasn't impressed either - four color printing and long ship times, but a good price especially if you get it on sale which I always did. And these were all the smallest size, 7x7.

All that fits. "You can have it fast, good, or cheap. Pick any two." Okay, I got it cheap and easy.

The family loved it though. The books were essentially photo essays (with almost no captions/narrative) of family gatherings. This made me, in their view, creative, imaginative, and smart. Who am I to correct them?:LOL: But only one other even owns a DSLR so the others don't even know what a good print looks like.

So if your target audience is family I'd say go with Blurb. If they are more discerning, then yes you have to look around some more.

I am given to understand that Mpix is often used by pros but have no actual experience: Photo Books | Photo Albums | Order Quality Photo Books Online : Mpix

To add to the Viewfinder vs LCD (called Live View in this article) discussion:

A layman's guide to Live View on a DSLR | Digital Camera World

When should I use Live View?
It’s best employed when the subject you’re photographing is relatively static. Landscapes and macro are both subjects that can be tackled effectively using the Live View mode.
On a DSLR, Live View is definitely better when you can sit the camera on a tripod, but you can get away with hand-holding and using Live View.
This is useful with cameras that have tiltable LCD monitors, so you can see the area framed in the display even when you’re holding the camera above your head or at ground level.

When should I not use Live View?
Live View has to use a different type of autofocus system, which is slower than the type used when viewing the image through the optical viewfinder. This means that it is not really suitable for fast-moving subjects where ultra-fast AF is essential.

Thanks Walt, donheff & explanade for the photo book tips and comments. I was going to do 1 book for each trip we take, but after thinking it over I think I'll do 1 book per year. That way I get can get more photos (and activities) per book. I now have several months to research and pick out the best provider.

Back
Top Bottom