Pick-up Truck Purchase

Yes. According to truecar, the model I want is selling for about $500 over sticker, but I would squeeze them down. If they don't want to play ball my current truck only has 30k miles so I'm fine with keeping it.

IOW, if I can't get a good deal I'll not do a deal.

They lowballed my trade enough that it wasn't worth dealing with them so I walked. I may just sell my current truck and then go buy a new truck.

They lowballed my trade enough that it wasn't worth dealing with them so I walked. I may just sell my current truck and then go buy a new truck.
Pb4,
I tried to buy a new Honda pickup about a year ago.
I had a beautiful perfect top of the line Civic sedan to trade in.
The truck was on an end of year sale, with a decent price. New year models were coming in.
They offered a terribly low trade in value. I told them it was in excellent condition, but I would accept the KBB "very good" trade in value. They came up some, but were still $200 below the VG value.
I basically walked away from the deal over $200, and they never counter offered. I'm not sure which one of us was more stubborn.
I bought a Colorado instead, and I really like it.
Take care, JP

Pb4,
I tried to buy a new Honda pickup about a year ago.
I had a beautiful perfect top of the line Civic sedan to trade in.
The truck was on an end of year sale, with a decent price. New year models were coming in.
They offered a terribly low trade in value. I told them it was in excellent condition, but I would accept the KBB "very good" trade in value. They came up some, but were still $200 below the VG value.
I basically walked away from the deal over $200, and they never counter offered. I'm not sure which one of us was more stubborn.
I bought a Colorado instead, and I really like it.
Take care, JP

I think it is safe to say the new truck market has been seller's market for the past year. It is not about stubbornness. It is about you walking into the dealership, all they see is fish on the chopping block. There is a long line of fish waiting outside.

I am glad I got my used daily driver right before the pandemic hit and before all these car market craziness started.

I liked my 70 Maverick I drove in college- 6 cylinder three on the tree. Got great gas mileage. Became a three on the floor after i broke the shifter off of the tree. Cheaper to cut a hole in the floor board an toss in a new shifter than pay for a new column one.

Unfortunately the location of the gears were backwards on the floor, ie. normal 1st gear on the floor was reverse. Would have loved to see someone try to steal it and drive away!

My first car in high school was a blue Maverick 4 door. Rusty. 250 straight six. Burned some oil, bit rusty. Cost me $400 in 1983.

Not exactly a collector and was not the Grabber model with the 302 V8. Not exactly a chick magnet either…… still isn’t I would imagine.

Swanee

As a follow up, I had a ‘71 Maverick Grabber in college. 302 V-8. Forest green with silver decal striping. No A/C. Bucket seats with 3 speed auto on the floor. Didn’t produce anywhere near the horsepower as the 302’s in the current Mustangs. Overall good car with no problems. Although the factory carburetor sucked in cold weather. Really had to warm the car up or it would cough and sputter and die a couple times. Needed an after market Carb.

I would not hesitate to get a Tacoma or 4Runner if it met your needs. (And I spent most my career in the domestic auto industry)

Back
Top Bottom