Pickleball anyone?

I play with one player who is weaker, but a different twist.
He tries many highly difficult shots and makes a low percentage of them i.e. lots of unforced errors.
However when he makes the shots, they are difficult to return, so thus I don't think he truly realizes that he is the cause of being on the losing side most of the time.
So he appears better than he is.

My cabin is in a cooperative community of four cabins. The neighbors recently updated their concrete driveway, and they built it extra large to accommodate a pickleball court.

I've never played, but I was a decent tennis player into my early 50s before stopping with knee issues.

I paid for the net, and some tree trimming, and we have now declared ourselves a pickleball club. I bought a few decent paddles to be prepared.

Played for the first time yesterday. The neighbors winter in Phoenix, and she is a very competitive player. She taught me the rules, and it turns out my brother in law has played some.

We had 3 very competitive fun matches yesterday. We managed to beat the neighbors 2 of 3 in very close matches.

I think she was thrilled about the competition, and a little upset about losing.

Damn it was fun. I'm hoping my legs hold up. So far so good.

I spoke with a guy in my bike club. He also quit tennis, because of his knee, and he said his knee has held up very well playing pickleball instead.

JP

Our new community court as viewed from my back patio. 20200905_073205.jpeg

The neighbors texted me at 845am this morning, asking if it is pickleball time?

Funny.

It’s an addictive sport. We have four courts in our neighborhood and we have 50-60 people showing up every day trying to get court time.

That is a great idea for Pickleball. I had ACL right knee surgery at 40 y.o. and can still crouch a lot as necessary in Pickleball.
It is a great sport and I am totally addicted. Now playing 6x weekly at a 4.0 level.
I know 3 guys in their 80's who still play the sport.

Sunset,
My neighbor is talking about adding lighting, and wven asked if I would install it.

Dooh!

The crazy part is that we had two more great close competitive matches yesterday, and now I'm drinking the pickleball koolaid too.
Bring it on.

There are two tennis courts in my SWFL townhome community. Those have to be converted into permanent pickleball courts ASAP.

How many pickleball courts will fit in a standard tennis court ? Two?

JP
Good thing you like the idea, and that they didn't put up lights to play at night..

Some folks would find the sound annoying over time, as you are so close.

Sunset,
My neighbor is talking about adding lighting, and wven asked if I would install it.

Dooh!

The crazy part is that we had two more great close competitive matches yesterday, and now I'm drinking the pickleball koolaid too.
Bring it on.

There are two tennis courts in my SWFL townhome community. Those have to be converted into permanent pickleball courts ASAP.

JP

If you take the length wise tennis court and turn it around from a width point of view, you can probably get 2 Pickleball courts.

Two pickleball ball courts, and one tennis court seem like a reasonable plan.

I know people are playing pickleball on those courts with movable nets. Hopefully they have the lines painted .

Thanks Dtail.
If you take the length wise tennis court and turn it around from a width point of view, you can probably get 2 Pickleball courts.

Two pickleball ball courts, and one tennis court seem like a reasonable plan.

I know people are playing pickleball on those courts with movable nets. Hopefully they have the lines painted .

Thanks Dtail.

This concept also assumes that there is somewhere around 5 feet of space on each side of the tennis court to the fence or next court, which is fairly typical.

One of the courts I currently play on does have pickleball lines painted within the tennis court. One gets used to the different lines over time, although I mostly play on a stand alone pickleball court.

JP

Depending on the space around the tennis court, four pickleball courts can fit in one tennis court. Here is a picture from a local tennis club that converted one of their tennis courts. They left the tennis net there to keep balls from rolling into other courts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 36
while you can play singles, the vast majority of people play doubles so 4 folks, 4 paddles one ball.

Yeah, the singles game can be rough when in one's 60's.:D

Back
Top Bottom