Poll: At what age did/will you FIRE?

At what age have you/will you be FIRE (no 9-5 job)?

• Under 30

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 30-40

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 40-50

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • 50-60

Votes: 118 62.4%
  • 60+ or never

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpencerM

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, just want to get an idea of the average age of those already fully FIRE or with firm plans, with no 9-5 job anymore...
I plan at 56...

S

Last edited:
I hope to hang it up by 2020, assuming my wife's ministry gig is going well and she still has the option to buy into a group health insurance plan through the church wide body. Actually, '17 or '18 might even be doable under those circumstances.

Still, I'm not sure whether this will be a full retirement or a "semi-retirement" where I work part-time at something I prefer to do where pay and benefits won't be the main consideration.

FIRE'd 4 years 10 months & 6 days ago, at 49.....only a few days shy of my 50th birthday!!!

Had they not offered an ER buy-out back in '07, I would be retiring in just less than 7 weeks from today. I'm super thankful for that buy-out!!!!

14 months ago. Wish now I had done it earlier, took several years to make the break.

I Er'ed 6 weeks before my 55th birthday, DW ER'ed a month before me, and she was a little over 54.

Now into our 3rd year of retirement :dance:

16.5 years ago. Now I work for myself counting my shekels, reading proxy statements, etc. 0430 - 1200 Mon - Fri and 0600 - 1100 on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Well, I don't quite count, as I'm ESR and considering working part-time. FWIW, I ESR'ed last year at the age of 47.

It was unplanned due to a layoff and my life has been pretty basic (fairly marginal net worth), but the freedom of doing whatever I want when I want suits me very well. If I hadn't been laid off, I would have been thinking of ER in my mid-50's.

In 2010 at 57 and DH 3 months later @56. We are still loving it.

I think it was totally around 60. Megacorp at 55. Although with rentals, some would rightly point out that I'm still working, but as little as possible. From the looks of this group, I didn't really retire early. But people still look at me critically when I tell them I'm retired.

I will RE in 313 days and at age 56. FI? At this point, I don't care!! I'll have enough I suppose. HA!!

Quit work at 57 in summer of 2007, formally retired Jan 1 2008 at 58.

How about that, basically the same result as the poll started on Jan 10th. Imagine...

DH was planning to retire in 2013 at age 58 but his employer decided it for him in 2010 at age 55. He's happy to be done and financially it's worked out better than we expected.

I've also kept a little of an eye on the increasing chance that DW and I won't be eligible for Medicare until 67, as that does have the potential to move the bar a little to the right on the "FIRE age axis". My oldest siblings will almost certainly be grandfathered at 65 by reforms. I quite possibly won't. Not that I'm bitter.

Back
Top Bottom