Poll:Not working vs. more free time?

What's the best aspect of retirement for you? No work or free time?

• Not having to go to work

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • Having more free time to do whatever I like

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Toward the end, I started to see myself as the sponge that sopped up the sh*t that fell downhill so that it didn't splatter on my staff. If cynicism includes feeling your role is to protect your staff from the bureaucratic BS and allow them to get something done, then I became a bit of a cynic. I also became the guy who wasn't afraid to give a honest opinion, even if was contrary to what the 'brass' thought. Many of these opinions were formed after listening to opinions of my team. Isn't FI wonderful? ...

Agree, sounds a lot like my last 5 years on the j*b. I had already retired at 50 from MegaCorp. as had my DW. I found a smaller company with a unique technology that actually wanted me badly to work there. They paid the freight etc. for our move half way across the country (back to where my kids and many friends lived as we had both w*rked in the area several years previously. Being FI at the time created a unique ability to not cave into the Corp. BS or to poor managers. I saw it as part of my role to filter a lot of the crap that flows through an organization so my people would not have to deal with it and could just do their job the best they could. I was also a mentor to many young managers which gave me a positive outlet for my 30+ years of experience with a couple of different MegaCorps. and especially dealing with management issues and more technical issues with the Quality process and regulatory compliance.

I tried to retire twice in my last j*b but various things kept happening to either me or the local site that compelled me to stay around and make sure "my people" were left alone to do their j*bs and to have some consistency of management directives and styles. I think it worked out well all things considered. I also salted away an other couple of $100k during the process and delayed living off my investments for a while to let them grow a bit more.

Here is the answer.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes we have all heard of it... and it is remarkable that it seems to provide insight into one answering this question for their situation.

Assuming one is FI... does work provide for Friendship/Social Interaction (mid-level) or above? Many have level 4 covered by family, friends, church, social organizations, etc..

I suspect most (that really do not need the money) and work are seeking level 4 or 5.

Of course, there are some who get moderate level 4 or 5 and use the extra money to feed their travel habit or to buy toys.

BTW - Volunteer work fits into this model... providing various amounts of level 3 through 4 or 5.

And sleep is so much better - my brain has learned it does not have to get up to go any where early !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom