Prescott AZ or Albuquerque, NM

Bluemoon

Recycles dryer sheets
About 6 years ago my wife and I were considering retiring to either Prescott AZ or Albuquerque, NM. Since that time my situation has changed. I am now a 73 year old widower. I am again considering making that move, I live on Long Island, NY.

I would appreciate any comment or opinions about these two cities.

Prescott, even though my favorite adult beverage spot in Whiskey Row burned up.

About 6 years ago my wife and I were considering retiring to either Prescott AZ or Albuquerque, NM. Since that time my situation has changed. I am now a 73 year old widower. I am again considering making that move, I live on Long Island, NY.

Bluemoon, I am sorry for your grave loss. These two communities are very different, do some research and then spend at least a few months in each (like in an Executive Suites extended stay hotel to really get the feel of it). Also think long and hard about leaving your friends and family that may live around Long Island. You don't say when your wife died, but be very wary of too many changes too close together. Losing a spouse is a very big stressor. Moving is farther down the scale, but different stressors can potentiate one another.

Ha

I live outside ABQ and although I'm not a true* senior yet, I am very impressed with how well the city takes care of its seniors. There are lots of well-run community centers with plenty of groups meeting to exercise, take bus tours, hiking, skiing, as well as crafts, all for $13 a year. Rio Rancho is a new city to the NW of ABQ, and it also has good centers opening up. You would never be bored. http://www.cabq.gov/seniors

I have a friend who lives in Prescott. While I liked the town for a visit, there would not be anywhere near as much to do there.

But I agree that you can't beat living in a place for a bit. You might also keep in mind that the Sales Tax in ABQ is 7%; most places in AZ seem to be around 8-9% for sales tax (Sedona is more like 11%!). The AZ economy overall is not as good as NM (perhaps because there is more drilling in NM?). I also just like the more relaxed politics of NM - there's at least a sense of bipartisanship here.

* I am over 50, so qualify for some of the ABQ senior center activities. Our local community center in the mountains though is free for 55 and older.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have visited both cities. since I own 2 dogs & 4 cats I would have to rent a house (which I intend to do) before making a final decision of settling in a place. My wife passed away 2 1/2 years ago so this is not a rushed decision. My family is spread out all over the country so that isn't a factor for me. Sales tax here in NY is 8.75% so that doesn't mean too much to me.

I am not thrilled with the current political bent in AZ but that can be temporary. I guess it comes down to medium sized city vs small town. I've lived in NYC and now live in a town of 7,500 and I prefer the quiet atmosphere here. As long as there is a good library, a decent supermarket and medical facilities nearby I could be happy.

PaddyMac, I have been to Rio Rancho and I did like it.

My sympathies, Bluemoon.

I visited ABQ about 6 mos ago. I did not feel safe in most areas of the city, except for Nobb Hill, an area that they are revitalizing as a shopping district.

Suggest visiting Sperling's Best places....you can put in two cities and compare crime and cost of living and other things.

According to this site, both property crime and violent crime were significantly higher in ABQ compared to Prescott and Prescott was above the national average.

Compare Crime Rates

web_civa,

I wouldn't be living in downtown ABQ I would be in the suburbs or a small town near the city. I grew up in The Bronx, NY and worked for most of my life in Manhattan, as a kid I learned to stay out of the bad areas. This goes for every city in the country and probably a lot of the towns too.

I have used Sperling's Best Places and the places that were picked for me had no appeal. Having visited 5 places in the southwest (Prescott, ABQ, Las Cruces, El Paso & Reno) I know which of them does appeal to me and which didn't and this is how I narrowed it down to ABQ & Prescott. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! :)

We like both of these areas too. We were just in ABQ yesterday. Have you considered Tucson? That is our top choice - actually Oro Valley. When we asked people who moved to Prescott what they thought - many said boring, not much to do. I found this amazing since it's easy enough to drive to many great areas.

Also, ABQ is at 6700 feet. We cannot sleep well at this elevation so you may want to consider this. Some of our family lives in Santa Fe at 7K feet and they are full of stories of people who bought there and had to sell. They have been living above 7K for 10 years (Santa Fe and Colorado) and admit when they come to sea level they sleep like babies.

Good luck you have some great choices!

Tucson is much too hot for me. Having been to ABQ I had no problem in sleeping. I think ABQ is going to be it!

X2 on the health aspects of high altitude.

Be ware if you have a history of heart problems, which are worse with less oxygen avail. (Hopefully you are in great heath !! )

Good Luck

We really like Prescott, AZ - it is only 5372 feet, so it would be like home for us. We are at 6000 feet. I noticed when in town, that you can turn right or left and you are quickly in the forest. Library is nice and shopping is right there. Perfect! Only problem we would have - 1 day drive from our grand kids. We love them from a distance, but 50 miles is our limit.
Friend of ours got a retirement place in Snowflake AZ area, that is also high up (5585 feet) and they have a lake.

Hello Moonbeam - now that a year and a half has gone by where did you ultimately land? I will be moving to Albuquerque this coming February/March sight unseen. I am eager and excited. I hope your move was exciting as well.

Hello Moonbeam - now that a year and a half has gone by where did you ultimately land? I will be moving to Albuquerque this coming February/March sight unseen. I am eager and excited. I hope your move was exciting as well.
I doubt you'll get an answer. Bluemoon hasn't been on the forum in a...uh, since January. :)

Last edited:
Or...

Attachments

• image-984563024.jpg
    image-984563024.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 166

Hi RoadTripJunky, I too have ABQ on my radar. Will you post and update once moved and settled? Thanks. I hope Bluemoon chimes in too.

Hi Cassie - How exciting for you. When do you plan to relocate to ABQ? I would like to find an apartment that is privately owned. I've rented from a family who owns my small six unit apartment bldg since 1995 and it's worked very well for me. People who privately own are more thoughtful towards renters and they are less likely to raise the rent every year. At least that’s been my experience. I've been checking Craigslist every week to see what’s available.

I wish you great success in your move.

Tommy

Back
Top Bottom