Need help finding a mover for my parents in AZ

sirsavesalot

Dryer sheet aficionado
My parents retired in northern Arizona 5 years ago and want to come back to central Ohio. They are having a rough time finding a reputable mover to take their things. At first they thought about using PODs, but they don't go to Prescott Arizona. Then, Upack was an option, but again, only service in Phoenix. Mayflower came highly recommended but they also will not drive to my parents. The only luck they're having are brokers that act as middle men and take a cut. You don't know what company/business/Joe is going to show up and take your stuff.

I drove the moving truck out there 5 years ago with my Dad (the largest Penske you can rent; I can't believe they let non-CDL drivers drive those things). But, my parents have accumulated some very nice furniture and my mother donated a lot to Amazon during the pandemic so a larger truck is needed. They're thinking 3/4 of a semi.

If you have any recommendations we would greatly appreciate it!

A friend's son moved from Prescott a couple years ago. He's in the military. I sent him a message and will post if he remembers.

I moved myself multiple times between major cities. I would usually choose a mover from the corporate websites of United Van Lines, Allied, American Van Lines, North American, etc. They all had locally owned affiliate companies that actually do the moving. The trucks are branded Allied, for example, but it's a local company. A metro area the size of Phoenix should have these, I would think.

Looking at United Van Lines website, you can initiate the quote process from their website. That would likely put you in contact with the local company who would come out and do an assessment of your full needs and then quote it.

For example, using United Van Lines website, I found 4 agent companies in the Phoenix area.

But this can be an expensive process. 10 years ago or so, I was paying around $6000 to move a house full of furniture from Dallas to Pittsburgh, for example.

Last edited:
I ran into similar moving from Tucson to a small town 1500 miles away... the major van lines would not unload at my destination. Claimed no local agents to hand off to.
I ended up going with hiring a moving company based at the destination. Service was great because the same people loaded the truck, drove it, and unloaded at the destination. No hand offs. No finger pointing on damaged items. Turns out the driver lives a couple of blocks down the street at the destination.
Price was shocking but then a chuck roast is $8/lb now.

We had great experience with National. Moved twice in the past 20 months. First move was 1000 miles and 2nd move was 2000 miles. I can provide the agent's contact info if you wish to check out if they load in Prescott. He's based out of IL.

Uhaul has U-Box (similar to PODS) and they pick up in Prescott. Also check 800Packrat

The sides on UBox inventory sitting in the parking lot at the local UHaul were flapping in the wind. I walked up to one and could push the "tarp" to the side and see inside the box.

The logistics with the UBox are not as convenient as PODS "load one, have it hauled away and the next empty delivered". I would have had to receive all of the empty UBox's at once in a single delivery and then a single pickup X days later. I didn't have room in my driveway or yard for 12-15 of them and the time crunch made it little different than loading a truck.

With Pods or U box you get to load your stuff. But do you want to load heavy furniture etc?

We packed boxes last year and let the movers load and unload it all, about 8,000 pounds worth. A real big job. The 150 mile move cost a little over $5,000. Not cheap but no way we could do it on our own.

Just a question, what really needs to move? If you can seriously minimize the stuff, sell/donate what you can, then not only is moving easier and less time, it's a lot less cost. Use the cost savings and buy replacement/new for what's needed at new place. Plus the potential issues of damaged goods during the move is reduced. Lot less physical labor as well.

The U-pack from ABF is maybe an option. They drop a trailer at your place, you load, they drive to new place and drop trailer for you to unload. Or they also do the U-pack containers.

Sorry, the Air Force moved him and he doesn't remember what company it was since it was all hands off.

Just Google it. Several reputable companies came up during a Google search for Prescott, AZ.

Back
Top Bottom