Join Early Retirement Today

Purging the house
Old 07-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Purging the house

I donated a pickup truck to the Red Cross which had a value of 3k. My grandparents told the story of them surviving a tornado with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The Red Cross was there within a matter of hours and provided everything for their needs.
Donating the truck was a way to honor their memory.

When I moved into my RV in February I donated my furniture to the Salvation Army and my son.

My net worth is north of 2 million so getting money for these items won’t move the needle for me, but it might help someone in need.

I continually meditate on the concepts of gratitude and enough.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #22

Just got done helping clean out deceased FIL's house. It's finally empty as of a couple of days ago. This process helped me look at my own house's contents in a new light. I haven't begun a new "sweep", but I've got motivation now.

As for the FIL's house, tons of stuff that could have been put on NextDoor or CraigsList went to various charities because nobody on the team (DW, her brother, me, and SIL), wanted to take the time to sell stuff that was left over after family and friends picked through everything. I felt great if family and friends got something they were going to use and appreciate. I think a few items went with family and friends with the express purpose of turning it into cash, but not many.

So, because I'm loath to let something valuable go, I made my own situation worse: I brought a bunch of stuff home from the FIL's place. The stuff that I could really use, or stuff that might fetch >$50. But the many dozens of items in the $10 through $49 range that went to charities were difficult to dispose of, knowing if I took the time, I might have a thousand bucks or more. But nobody, including me, could muster the will to selling anything. Now I'm going to have to disposition this newly acquired stuff. Luckily the item count is pretty small.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We did that right after retirement, one day each week for a while. Started with work clothes.
Its been about 4 years, time to start again. We really want all of our "junk" out, so much stuff I don't use anymore and kids don't want.
It always feels so good when we are done.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #24

Our attitude changed dramatically after we de cluttered, sold, and traveled for an extended period.

We stopped keeping things that we did not need or want. Perhaps it was because of retirement. Our focus gradually switched from 'things' to 'experiences'.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

After I threw a conniption fit because my car wouldn’t fit in the garage, my DH is finally purging. The first 2week dumpster rental was picked up yesterday. He has also donated, “gifted”, burned & added to weekly refuse pickup. I’ve been after him for years to do this while he’s still physically able. I didn’t want him exiting with me having to handle all the carp, or inevitably to our only son/family. He still has a big garage/workshop to tackle which will require a second rental of a dumpster. He’s “finding” duplicates of things, tools, plus stuff he didn’t even know he had. Nearly 40 years of accumulations!

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I decluttered I like to hit it hard and work for hours most days. Depending on my mood I have sold it and given it away.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

When I moved in with DGF around 15 years ago, I had to get rid of some extra "stuff". I tend to keep things around, especially if there is a place for them. (If not, I find a place...!)

Two things helped me:

1. Trash Night. I approached things with a different paradigm, brought a trash bag from room to room asking "what can I throw out in here?" Some nights, I'd just fill the trash can. Others, I'd have 4 extra black bags n the curb before I realized what happened. It was like the goal became throwing stuff away vs putting it away.

2. Dumpster Rental, as previously mentioned. Thought a 5 yard one would be enough, rented a 20 yard one and arranged to keep it the whole 10 days. With all that space (that I had paid for) and the ease of discarding stuff, it was full by the time they came for it.

Good Luck in moving forward in your life!!
Scusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, this thread has been a wake-up call for me. We moved into our current house back in late 2018. We purged A LOT prior to our move (the one move that the USAF didn't pay for) and we were very happy with all the empty drawers and cabinets. Well, today I see that isn't the case anymore. My DW is moving her cell service to AT&T so I went looking for an older phone to use for porting/activating. I didn't find what I was looking for, but it occurred to me that we now have FOUR junk drawers that are full to the brim!! How in the world did THAT happen?!? I have an idea that if I looked at my AMZN order history, I would find an answer.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #29

It took us about four 'swoops' to purge our home prior to selling.

We traveled for part of a year, rented furnished apts for the balance, and then moved into what we thought was a short term rental of a one bedroom condo. Turned out to be four years before we purchased another home.

That intervening time helped to train us not to keep unwanted junk. The key for us was not having a basement or indeed three or four extra bedrooms where we could park things out of sight in order to avoid making a sensible decision.

Even now, three or four years later we catch ourselves holding on to things that we have no need for. So every two or three months something gets tossed or given away.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, a 20 yard dumpster works good. So far between my house, my wife's house and my parents house I've rented 6 of them.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

First I moved from ATL to a smaller home in AL.
Then my parents sold their home in the city (and lived at the lake.)
They moved to MEM where my sister could care for them.
My aunt had a large home we liquidated when she had to go to assisted living.
Then we moved into a really big house we bought as a foreclosure cheap.

I ended up with a double car garage, a single car garage and a 4 car garage full of "stuff". We took the best furniture and garaged the rest.

Simply put, I've been moving someone and something most of the last 12 years of my retirement. And I'm tired. No one's best friends should be the heavy equipment operators at their city dump.

We recently moved down 1000 square feet, and I have another triple car garage so packed I cannot walk thru it. Here we go again.

You know, we're now about 70, and we shouldn't be such a future physical burden on our children that have no need for any of this stuff. I guess more trips to the dump are in our future. But I'm at least down to 3 trips per month.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #32

I wish my mom would hear what so many folks here are saying, that the younger generation doesn't wasn't want most of the older gen's stuff. And that if you haven't needed it in a few years, you can do without it. She'll be 91 in a few days and still has three storage units plus a spare bedroom in her apartment full of stuff. She's had stuff in storage for over six years and is currently paying $324/mo for it. That's well over $20,000 so far. It would have been more if we hadn't kept some of the stuff in our garage for over a year. The only things we've needed to retrieve so far have been a few pictures that she gave to her neices and some paperwork for taxes. I've told her that if we move to another area, we are not taking all that stuff with us. I've given up for awhile trying to talk her into getting rid of things. She gets emotional about it, saying that we just don't understand about memories and such.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Long ago I used to work for a non-profit that provided housing for disabled folks.

We always appreciated it, when folks were going to purge a house, if they would phone us.
The donors of course wanted to get rid of everything, which we could not accept, but we could take numerous things and everything we took was put to good use.

It is some extra work, but if you have the time, I recommend checking with local charities to see if they need anything before filling a dumpster.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I wish my mom would hear what so many folks here are saying, that the younger generation doesn't wasn't want most of the older gen's stuff. And that if you haven't needed it in a few years, you can do without it. She'll be 91 in a few days and still has three storage units plus a spare bedroom in her apartment full of stuff. She's had stuff in storage for over six years and is currently paying $324/mo for it. That's well over $20,000 so far. It would have been more if we hadn't kept some of the stuff in our garage for over a year. The only things we've needed to retrieve so far have been a few pictures that she gave to her neices and some paperwork for taxes. I've told her that if we move to another area, we are not taking all that stuff with us. I've given up for awhile trying to talk her into getting rid of things. She gets emotional about it, saying that we just don't understand about memories and such.

The Washington Post has had some impactful articles on how many younger people are refusing to use or keep all their parents' stuff as previous generations did; so much so that I've linked to them fairly often in the last few years. These are mainly for you, although you might want to share them with your mom:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #35

Even after purging and moving our life into an 8X8X16 container we do silly things.

In my case it was an electric tile saw. Into the container for a year. Moved into the condo storage locker for four years. Moved again to our home.

It sat under the garage steps for another two years until I finally gave it away to a neighbour. Same for a few other items. Still don't know why I 'saved' them, let alone move bothered to move them. We still have a few boxes of fine china in the basement. Same story....moved and never used along with some crystal glassware. It has been in boxes for eight years.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Our attitude changed dramatically after we de cluttered, sold, and traveled for an extended period.

We stopped keeping things that we did not need or want. Perhaps it was because of retirement. Our focus gradually switched from 'things' to 'experiences'.
+1

In preparation for our E.R. 4 years ago, we embarked upon a de-cluttering campaign in all aspects of our lives. In addition to home/belongings, we also de-cluttered a few relationships in the process.

We've traveled almost perpetually for 3-1/2 years, living out of backpacks with only occasional, short term visits back to the U.S. - until the virus. Those travel experiences helped us more clearly define what are truly "needs" from "wants".

Completely agree about the experiential vs. the material. Reflecting upon the incredible experiences we've had tramping about the planet brings a fondness that no material thing ever could.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
The Washington Post has had some impactful articles on how many younger people are refusing to use or keep all their parents' stuff as previous generations did; so much so that I've linked to them fairly often in the last few year. These are mainly for you, although you might want to share them with your mom:
Thanks, I'll read them. I've tried to share such articles with her, and the AARP magazine she gets often has such articles. But she just gets emotional about her stuff and says we don't understand. She's been so upset lately about the virus and the protests in the area that I'm not going to bother bringing up the storage again anytime soon.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Freecycle and local FB freebie pages are what we are using to get rid of all our cr@p.

Curbside "free" piles work too.
partition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We either sell or give away stuff we no longer need. Thrift stores will also pick up stuff with a truck. We never throw away anything in decent shape. Someone else can use it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I wish my mom would hear what so many folks here are saying, that the younger generation doesn't wasn't want most of the older gen's stuff.
My in-laws are getting up there in age (mid 70s) and are still running several businesses. None of the kids are interested in the businesses and there is no monetary reason for them to keep running them. Nonetheless, in addition to the business inventory (and a lot of large equipment), they have not just a bunch of storage places, FIL has two warehouses that are STUFFFED with crap that he's accumulated over the years at auctions and such. Think of American Pickers, but on crack cocaine. If they don't deal with this MESS, it's going to an absolute pain for the three kids and I do NOT look forward to it.