Ready to launch, then chickened out...

Do this quick test: Sit on the floor indian style. Can you stand up without using your hands:confused:? This is a simple test with remarkable life expectancy prediction results.

That's easy, even at 64. All it takes is two legs and a small winch. No hands.

"Can you stand up without using your hands:confused:? This is a simple test with remarkable life expectancy prediction results." Wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Seems like a test of balance more than anything else.

Dawg;

I totally understand the concern about whether you will feel fulfilled.

But health and time....health and time.

How much of each do you really feel you have and will having either impaired make you regret not making the choice.

That is the verriding, strees inducing calculus, that overwhelms me.

.... My question is: are you healthy? Do this quick test: Sit on the floor indian style. Can you stand up without using your hands:confused:? This is a simple test with remarkable life expectancy prediction results. ....

I had never heard of this but I hope that you are right. I did it very easily... from sitting Indian style I extended my right leg out then leaned backward and then quickly leaned forward and let the momentum and pushing upwards with my left leg to to get up on my right leg and then to my feet. I'm 64 and out-of-shape.

But back to the thread, longevity was a factor in my retiring at 56. My dad passed at 75 and I had a great uncle who had scrimped and saved his entire career "for his retirement" and retired and dropped dead from a heart attack within a year.

Last edited:
Do this quick test: Sit on the floor indian style. Can you stand up without using your hands:confused:? This is a simple test with remarkable life expectancy prediction results.

I had never heard of this but I hope that you are right. I did it very easily...

Would you believe (credit to Maxwell Smart) we had a thread on that? Simple Test Predicts Longevity

Pb4, be sure you plug in living to 100+ when you run FIRECalc...

I'm right there with you Dawg. Been plotting and working hard toward ER but now that I'm "at the edge of the pool" I'm also having a really hard time taking the plunge. For me it's a combination of "not hating" my job (some days I do enjoy it), and also the fear of walking away from the stable & profitable life I've made for myself.

Since I cannot yet seem to make the big move, I'm working on massaging every bit of the j.o.b. into the best way it can work for me. For instance, I have a horrible commute, so I have just decided I'm leaving early to beat the traffic in the afternoons. So far no one is giving me a hard time. I figure if I can make it as close to a "dream job" using the might & leverage of being FI, maybe it'll just end up being a really sweet & satisfying situation until I'm truly ready.

Some things I'm asking myself in the meantime: What exactly do I want out of retirement? What am I really afraid of losing by pulling the trigger? Can I build that life within the context of holding a job? Or do my core interests & values best merit a life that's free from a regular gig?

^^^ Can you downshift to part-time? Say 3 days a week so every weekend is a 4 day weekend?

Since I cannot yet seem to make the big move, I'm working on massaging every bit of the j.o.b. into the best way it can work for me. For instance, I have a horrible commute, so I have just decided I'm leaving early to beat the traffic in the afternoons. So far no one is giving me a hard time. I figure if I can make it as close to a "dream job" using the might & leverage of being FI, maybe it'll just end up being a really sweet & satisfying situation until I'm truly ready.
Ha! Same for me! W#rking from the home office a lot, taking maximum time off and then some!

Ha! Same for me! W#rking from the home office a lot, taking maximum time off and then some!
Same boat also. I've done a little bit of the max time off, minimizing hours also. But when you are in management, it is much more visible and obvious and can be de-motivating for your team when the leader is putting in transparent minimal effort, so I feel guilty about it. Be much easier as an individual contributor. Easy solution, retire now, remove the guilt.

Same boat also. I've done a little bit of the max time off, minimizing hours also. But when you are in management, it is much more visible and obvious and can be de-motivating for your team when the leader is putting in transparent minimal effort, so I feel guilty about it. Be much easier as an individual contributor. Easy solution, retire now, remove the guilt.

Only because they want to retire early too. Don't read too much into that. Someone else will take your place

You sound like I did! Worked for megacorp 33 years: engineer, dept mgr, plant mgr, global director. Goal-driven, blessed with great $ compensation and good health, surpassed my magic retirement savings #, set a goal to FIRE by age of 58. Wasn’t sure I’d be able to avoid the OMY syndrome... then megacorp restructuring had me downsized when I declined to relocate an 8th time. Suddenly jobless, FI, happily married with a 13 yr old daughter, with not much time to prep for what’s next... at the age of 55.
Fast forward 3-1/2 yrs. Love this life! Have been some “quiet days” but never a “boring day”. Exercising regularly, more time with our daughter, more time for hobbies, more travel, etc. Doing some part-time consulting, as much to help an old friend out as to bring in some addl fun money.
Sometimes it takes getting kicked out the door... it did for me. Best of luck on your FIRE journey.

You sound like I did! Worked for megacorp 33 years: engineer, dept mgr, plant mgr, global director. Goal-driven, blessed with great $ compensation and good health, surpassed my magic retirement savings #, set a goal to FIRE by age of 58. Wasn’t sure I’d be able to avoid the OMY syndrome... then megacorp restructuring had me downsized when I declined to relocate an 8th time. Suddenly jobless, FI, happily married with a 13 yr old daughter, with not much time to prep for what’s next... at the age of 55.
Fast forward 3-1/2 yrs. Love this life! Have been some “quiet days” but never a “boring day”. Exercising regularly, more time with our daughter, more time for hobbies, more travel, etc. Doing some part-time consulting, as much to help an old friend out as to bring in some addl fun money.
Sometimes it takes getting kicked out the door... it did for me. Best of luck on your FIRE journey.
Much easier when the decision is made for you, but better to leave under your own terms if it is possible. With the latest meltdown, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger yet. Would have been a bit jarring to immediately witness the potential implications of Sequence of Return risk weeks into retirement. Wouldn't have actually affected my retirement enough to change the long term outlook, but glad to delay a bit longer. Glad to hear it worked out well for you at the same age. One more positive example from this forum.

...With the latest meltdown, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger yet. Would have been a bit jarring to immediately witness the potential implications of Sequence of Return risk weeks into retirement.
I left for a month-long vacation on 23 February to a country that had no known COVID cases at the time. I watched my portfolio drop by 33% over the first three weeks of the trip. My plan to buy a house vanished, as did the year's remaining travel plans. Since I'm confined to the condo for at least 35 more days, can't afford to pay cash for a house, and can't travel, I'll be w$rking a few more months, at least. I had planned to give 2 month's notice to the client on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom