Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Signing up for that class is certainly one motivator. Long term, though, I think you need to find something that you genuinely like to do. Keep trying things until you find what you like. I enjoy my exercising, but if that's not your "thing" keep looking for an enjoyable pursuit. One thing to consider: pickleball. I didn't think I would like it, but after only 4 classes DW and I are hooked.
+1 on Pickleball.
If one plays competitively, it is a great cardio substitute.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
What would you like to be able to keep doing as you age? What would you like to accomplish from exercising?

Perhaps making a list of goals that you refer to will help you with your heart getting on board with the program.

Also, staying within age-related norms can be a very motivating goal. For example, you could check where you score on something called the 5-repetition Chair Stand Test, which tests functional lower extremity strength.

Description of how to do the test here.

A meta-analysis study by Bohannon, 2006, revealed the following:

Analysis demonstrated that individuals with times for 5 repetitions of this test exceeding the following can be considered to have worse than average performance: 11.4 sec (60 to 69 years), 12.6 sec. (70 to 79 years), and 14.8 sec. (80 to 89 years).
I didn't take the test, but I'm pretty sure I'm well past (in a good way) anything in that test range. I can do three set of goblet squats with a 25 pound weight as well as lunges as part of my routine. I guess one of my goals is that I never have to take a test like you mentioned above. Of course you do not know me or see me, but if a professional asked me to take that test, I'd be ashamed of myself (unless I had a stroke or something). My goal is not to deteriorate and to improve if possible. I'm about 15 to 20 pounds overweight so improving my diet is another challenge, but as far as physical ability, I'm doing pretty well at 59. I do all my own yard work, house work and get around well without any pain. I want to keep it that way as long as possible. I don't like cardio, but I can keep my heart rate at about 140bpm for awhile but I stop at 20 minutes from boredom and then go do my weight training.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Also, staying within age-related norms can be a very motivating goal. For example, you could check where you score on something called the 5-repetition Chair Stand Test, which tests functional lower extremity strength.

....[/I]
Not the OP but thanks for this, such a neat idea. Thankfully I ďpassedĒ this test with time to spare (though not sure I always would have). Got any more? Lol.

I googled and came up with https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20046433 but some of those I donít think Iíd even attempt...never been a runner for instance and their age ranges are not what some would need.

Iíll have to try some of them though.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I didn't take the test, but I'm pretty sure I'm well past (in a good way) anything in that test range. I can do three set of goblet squats with a 25 pound weight as well as lunges as part of my routine. I guess one of my goals is that I never have to take a test like you mentioned above. Of course you do not know me or see me, but if a professional asked me to take that test, I'd be ashamed of myself (unless I had a stroke or something). My goal is not to deteriorate and to improve if possible. I'm about 15 to 20 pounds overweight so improving my diet is another challenge, but as far as physical ability, I'm doing pretty well at 59. I do all my own yard work, house work and get around well without any pain. I want to keep it that way as long as possible. I don't like cardio, but I can keep my heart rate at about 140bpm for awhile but I stop at 20 minutes from boredom and then go do my weight training.
LOL! Well there you go! A good goal is to never have to take a test like that! It's my goal, too!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I.... I don't like cardio, but I can keep my heart rate at about 140bpm for awhile but I stop at 20 minutes from boredom and then go do my weight training.
1) I’m with you there, but for your cardio could you find some active fun thing to do like a few have suggested? Basketball, pickleball, racquetball, tennis, working on a farm coop, part time 2 men and a truck worker, etc.??

2) Also, have you considered HIIT for your cardio? It is shorter than long cardio workouts (as little as 10 minutes), similar or better results depending on what you are measuring, you have to concentrate on what you are doing so time passes faster. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-hiit Or I’m sure thousands of other articles out there.

Edit to add an article comparing HIIT to standard Cardio: https://www.verywellfit.com/is-hiit-...better-4126506
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
1) Iím with you there, but for your cardio could you find some active fun thing to do like a few have suggested? Basketball, pickleball, racquetball, tennis, working on a farm coop, part time 2 men and a truck worker, etc.??

2) Also, have you considered HIIT for your cardio? It is shorter than long cardio workouts (as little as 10 minutes), similar or better results depending on what you are measuring, you have to concentrate on what you are doing so time passes faster. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-hiit Or Iím sure thousands of other articles out there.
I will look into HIIT. As for the other things like sports, unfortunately that never appealed to me. Never been competitive. I like golfing, but thatís not really cardio. I have been thinking about getting a cart and walking in order to get something more out of it.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #127

I love swimming best. But that alone isnít enough. My routine:

-Swim 1800 meters minimum 2-3 days/week. The last 400 meters I do intense intervals mixed up with different strokes (back stroke and breast stroke) to use different muscles.
-Walk 2.5-3 miles 2-3 times/week. I listen to podcasts and look for birds while walking, and take an interesting path near my home.
-Weight machines at the gym once per week.
-Tai chi class-for balance and meditation.
I also want to do HIIT. But some of the suggested exercise arenít possible yet due to weight and joint issues.
I also donít stretch enough.

A suggestion: listen to fast paced music that you like, or a podcast while working out. I subscribe to 3 physician oriented podcasts: Peter Attia, Low carb MD, and Diet Doctor (a cardiologist runs this one) and also a fun Harry Potter related podcast, for laughs. Peter Attiaís podcasts have something for everyone. The biggest problem with going to the gym is that it seems tedious. With the phone in a pocket or a fanny pack and wireless earbuds, my walks and workouts are much more fun.

Also, when you work out regularly, notice and cherish breakthrough moments. I started my fitness journey with swimming in college . At first I was exhausted swimming laps and couldnít go more than 500 meters without breathlessness. Five weeks in, suddenly I could swim as long as I wanted without being out of breath. The same thing happened with running two months later. I couldnít go more than a mile for awhile, then suddenly I could run 3-5 miles without a problem.

Just recently returning to regular working out, I noticed during my last few walks that my body told me to run a little. During swimming my core ďwantedĒ me to swim with faster strokes and stronger kicks. The activity itself seemed to trigger a physical joy.

If you get discouraged, due to the tedium, change your routine and pay attention to those breakthroughs.

Iíve been into working out since my senior year in college. Work and early child rearing got in the way to some degree. I was inconsistent during residency and when my son was small. From 2007-14 finding time and energy for the gym was very difficult due to a very heavy workload and life obligations.

One of the great joys of retirement is taking care of myself.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

I'm finding that hiking through snow with big boots and ice spikes makes for good cardio.

here's a good dumbbell workout.

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I also don’t stretch enough.
I’ve always been guilty of not stretching before doing activity. Even in college I just warmed up to get the blood going and mentally ready, but didn’t stretch like others when I had a choice.

It turns out these days static stretching seems to have lost favor with a lot of physical trainers, and there are articles that there are no measurable benefits to stretching, such as:

https://www.painscience.com/articles/stretching.php
Old 02-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Pickleball 3X/week, Bike ride 3X/week, Tai Chi 2X/week,40 Min Gym work out 4x/week, balance/exercise class 1 hour weekly. No time for a much needed nap...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

My workout includes 6 oz curls every evening around dinner time, usually cabernet or merlot.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I have a set of resistance bands which are certainly better than nothing and easy to take on a road trip. However, I have been advised that actual weights (dumbbells) are better since the load on the muscles does not vary during the exercise routine.

My home is small and I don't have room for much exercise equipment, so, I am thinking of getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I found that they are rather expensive. One can easily pay $200 - $300+ for a set. So I would appreciate some recommendation s from those who have used adjustable dumbbells.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

I have the Bowflex 552 set with the stand. Up to 52.5 lbs each. I really like them. Changes weights easily.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #134

I’ve thought about those dumbbell sets too, but I can get past how large they are even if you’re using lighter weights. Especially that brand that is square. I don’t think it’s the Bowflex.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morricol61 View Post
I wake up, get dressed, have a pee and brush my teeth, drink a glass of water and then put on my shoes. At that point I have been awake about 5 or 10 mins. I walk out the door and keep walking for about an hour. I wander all over the place, over hill, down by the train tracks, through the park, past both the high school and primary school, sometimes I even wander down the main street if I am over that way. I walk briskly and when I get home I am tired and happy. The earlier I wake, the nicer the walk.
This sounds a lot like me. I retired a few months ago & most days, unless I know I'll be doing a lot of walking with other activities, I'm out the door within 10 minutes of waking up & walk for an hour or so. Love being out early when the streets & nearby park are quiet, just a few dog-walkers & joggers, love watching the sun rise & the city waking up, & love the feeling afterwards, knowing I've done at least 7000 steps before the day has barely started. I also go to the gym about 3 times a week for weights, yoga, exercise classes. And I have some nice-looking hand weights (3, 5 & 8 pounds), which I use occasionally with exercise videos.

What motivates me is knowing that I've done something good for myself, which makes me feel more optimistic generally, & knowing that if I don't do this I'd feel the opposite.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #136

[QUOTE=Ronstar;2371883]I'm finding that hiking through snow with big boots and ice spikes makes for good cardio.

This will make a guy sleep very well at nights. I agree with Ronstar and very physical workout and especially if climbing is involved in that hike.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have a set of resistance bands which are certainly better than nothing and easy to take on a road trip. However, I have been advised that actual weights (dumbbells) are better since the load on the muscles does not vary during the exercise routine.

My home is small and I don't have room for much exercise equipment, so, I am thinking of getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I found that they are rather expensive. One can easily pay $200 - $300+ for a set. So I would appreciate some recommendation s from those who have used adjustable dumbbells.
We're currently in a rental in Mexico for a month and there's no gym...I really miss my weights. I'll get a set of resistance bands for our next trip if there's no gym available. For the time being I'm doing pushups and some half-assed pullups on the pool railing.

I don't like the adjustable dumbbells. I have a few sets of dumbbells that have a threaded collar so you can add or remove plates. They're inexpensive and you can probably find used ones and some plates for sale.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

We're currently in a rental in Mexico for a month and there's no gym...I really miss my weights. I'll get a set of resistance bands for our next trip if there's no gym available. For the time being I'm doing pushups and some half-assed pullups on the pool railing.

I don't like the adjustable dumbbells. I have a few sets of dumbbells that have a threaded collar so you can add or remove plates. They're inexpensive and you can probably find used ones and some plates for sale.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm looking over this thread again ... I may need some encouragement and ideas. My very old pedal (i.e. non-electric) treadmill is giving me problems. It's the only exercise that's ever worked for me. I hate gyms. I've dropped out of every exercise class I've signed up for ... but I was faithful to my treadmill. I'm scared to do without it.

This may be an opportunity, if I look at it correctly. I don't do strength training. I don't do balance training. Maybe I can add them, if I try that fun-looking H20 workout recommended by onemorehappycamper.

But I am turned off by all those strength training things that require you to work at achieving "perfect form" or exercises that are supposedly useless if not "done correctly." I tried all one summer to use machines at the gym and then had an acquaintance come and tell me I was doing them "all wrong." I tried a half day with a trainer who was awful and completely indifferent to middle-aged females. I tried a hatha yoga class where the instructor was into a Buddhist silence and never said a single word to me nor offered a comment for all the six sessions I attended.

So I'm looking for strength training that works even if you're not doing it perfectly, and for balance training that works even if your form is off.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #140

There’s always room for improvement but if you were lifting weight, moving the machine’s weights, you were benefiting. If you get into higher weight, incorrect form might hurt you, but moving lighter weight, getting your heart rate up and finding yourself just a little sore in the right places will be good for you. Best to find a better trainer though.