Retirement home in Vermont or New Hampshire

Yes and in NH the total would only be the $16334. No state income tax.
Also no state sales tax. 6% in VT and 5.5% in Maine.
When your income is double that you double the savings (obviously).

Of course in retirement the advantage could be less as you most likely would have much lower taxable income and may have income sources that receive favorable treatment.
Not trying to make the case that ME taxes are better than NH's, but the difference between ME and NH, when adding in Real Estate taxes, is less than the example you set. The money has to come from somewhere, if not income and sales taxes, then real estate taxes.

VT healthcare

Quality of Healthcare should be top of the list for retirement.

VT healthcare and insurance is quite good for us. UVM medical is a good local option and Boston’s hospitals are 3 hours away from us.

Also pre-medicare insurance is good with non-age based premiums (older customers aren’t charged more) and there is still out of area coverage which helps us as snowbirds. Coverage is better and cheaper than if we insured ourselves in Utah (our winter home) but not sure about NH or Maine.

+1 Two teaching hospitals serve northern Vermont, UVM Medical Center to the west and Dartmouth-Hitchcock just over the border in NH to the east.

Vermont health insurance is priced similar to employer group health insurance coverage... not age rated... same price for everyone (other than catastrophic coverage)... also, no medical underwriting (even before ACA)... and costs is moderate... a bronze level policy is about $550/month.

Not trying to make the case that ME taxes are better than NH's, but the difference between ME and NH, when adding in Real Estate taxes, is less than the example you set. The money has to come from somewhere, if not income and sales taxes, then real estate taxes.

Yes that is the knock on Nh but I believe we still have one of the lower over all tax burdens. As I mentioned in post #11 we have been very lucky in my particular town because there are several lakes and ponds containing many summer homes which are assessed higher because of water frontage and thus reducing my tax burden and our town tax rate is very low by NH standards.

Interestingly Vermont came out very high(#3) as well as Maine(#4), both being higher than Massachusetts(#22).
NH was way down at number 45 but #1 in property tax as you said. The property tax varies wildly here. In retirement that could be an issue since the income tax could be way down and of course sales tax can be mostly controlled by consumption habits.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

+1 Two teaching hospitals serve northern Vermont, UVM Medical Center to the west and Dartmouth-Hitchcock just over the border in NH to the east.

Vermont health insurance is priced similar to employer group health insurance coverage... not age rated... same price for everyone (other than catastrophic coverage)... also, no medical underwriting (even before ACA)... and costs is moderate... a bronze level policy is about $550/month.

I never had any experience with VT-unique health insurance. But my experience with the health care at the two medical centers cited above was outstanding during the 8 years I was in the Green Miuntain State.

Yes that is the knock on Nh but I believe we still have one of the lower over all tax burdens. As I mentioned in post #11 we have been very lucky in my particular town because there are several lakes and ponds containing many summer homes which are assessed higher because of water frontage and thus reducing my tax burden and our town tax rate is very low by NH standards.

Interestingly Vermont came out very high(#3) as well as Maine(#4), both being higher than Massachusetts(#22).
NH was way down at number 45 but #1 in property tax as you said. The property tax varies wildly here. In retirement that could be an issue since the income tax could be way down and of course sales tax can be mostly controlled by consumption habits.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

New Hampshire is a wonderful state. I've spent a lot of time there. It is beautiful and the mountains can't be beat. I do love Maine though, but not because of its taxes.

Vacationed last fall in NH. We've been there, and VT, many times on vacation. Mainly in the north and remote areas. Liked it! Different and very friendly folks.

This time we stayed in the southern area due to visiting friends. The traffic was horrendous in both states, throw in MA, and the area is very over populated. Really, much of the east is unlivable anymore in our minds. MA drivers are insane!!! Folks born and raised in NH and VT agree! It's a joke with them.

Again, just an impression... To each his/her own!

Never lived there and wouldn't consider it. Again, no insult meant, just an opinion.

New Hampshire is a wonderful state. I've spent a lot of time there. It is beautiful and the mountains can't be beat. I do love Maine though, but not because of its taxes.

Yes. We love Maine as well. Spend most of our "vacations" there in the down east sections. Love the northern coastal areas Blue Hill, Deer Isle , Bar Harbor, Winter Harbor etc.

We have some friends who moved from Vermont to Maine and they say that Maine taxes are brutal.

It depends on what comprises that $100,000.

Since Maine doesn’t tax Social Security, $50k in SS income, instead of regular income, will cut the state tax bill quite a bit:

Attachments

• AB84E620-6A54-4682-A10B-2D34115016B3.jpg
    AB84E620-6A54-4682-A10B-2D34115016B3.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Yes. We love Maine as well. Spend most of our "vacations" there in the down east sections. Love the northern coastal areas Blue Hill, Deer Isle , Bar Harbor, Winter Harbor etc.

Wow! Wintah Habah. Not too many people have heard of it. Every time I mention it people ask if it's anywhere near Bar Harbor but don't know where WH is.

I was stationed at the (now defunct) Navy Base there from 1989-1992. Beautiful spot inside the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park. Wicked long winters, though. I returned for the formal ceremony in 2002 when the base was turned over to the Park Service.

My daughter, who is a novelist, wrote a book set in a fictional Down East fishing village that was based on her experience as a high schooler in that area.

Last edited:
Wow! Wintah Habah. Not too many people have heard of it. Every time I mention it people ask if it's anywhere near Bar Harbor but don't know where WH is.

I was stationed at the (now defunct) Navy Base there from 1989-1992. Beautiful spot inside the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park. Wicked long winters, though. I returned for the formal ceremony in 2002 when the base was turned over to the Park Service.

My daughter, who is a novelist, wrote a book set in a fictional Down East fishing village that was based on her experience as a high schooler in that area.

Yes we have camped at Schoodic Woods the last several years. Love the campus of the former Base. We hike in there a lot and love to sit up on schoodic point after a storm and watch the big waves breaking.:)
It's a beautiful area and much quieter than the touristy Bah Hahbah.
We didn't go this year because the National Park service closed the campground for the entire year:(

Attachments

• schoodic point waves resized.jpg
    schoodic point waves resized.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
We wanted to live in Vermont (we are from upstate NY). We vacationed there for many years (23 to be exact). In fact we are in VT right now on Vacation. But having our SS and retirement income taxes and the sales tax made NH a better choice. Heck - even NY does not tax those things.

Also, VT is too liberal leaning for us politically.

On top of this. there are few communities anywhere in New England that have that 55 and over Florida type vibe. And near amenities we wanted (shopping, lakes, mountains, restaurants, entertainment, etc) and near some healthcare and close to the main highway and so forth. But not in an urban area either.

And we found a one and only in NH. It is not a 55+ but it is like one with a clubhouse and pool and low HOA fees. It is very unique for New England. Some people are full timers and some snowbirds. Golf carts driving around and so forth.

So we moved this past February to the Lakes region. We were able to get a brand new construction cottage (1100 square feet) for under $300,000. We thought that pretty good as housing in NH (and VT to a lesser degree) is expensive. Property taxes $4500. I can live with that tough still high for the small house we have. I think property taxes in VT are lower than in NH in most places.

PS In NY we lived in a wooded isolated area and for aging we did not want that. So farm in the new community we are in in NH we have met some friends and never feel lonely. Best decision we could have made.

Last edited:
Actually, Vermont exempts SS from state income taxes for lower income taxpayers. The exemption phases out between $45-55k for a single and $60-70k for MFJ. The exemption is probably of little worth for most people here but is valuable to Vermont's lower income taxpayers.

ssGraph.png

Actually, Vermont exempts SS from state income taxes for lower income taxpayers. The exemption phases out between $45-55k for a single and $60-70k for MFJ. The exemption is probably of little worth for most people here but is valuable to Vermont's lower income taxpayers.

ssGraph.png

Yes. I know. Key words- lower income. They made that change back in 2018 when the governor realized older people were leaving the state because of these taxes on SS.

I in no way would live in southern NH. Correct- traffic. And now with COVID, NH is being over run with Mass. people/tourists visiting.

Concord and north is good to live in. Also- you are not far from Boston (good in case of medical care needed). Concord has Dartmouth-Hitchcock satellites as well.

Then again you could live in Portsmouth, NH just across the bridge from Portland, Maine and enjoy the best of both worlds. But it is expensive there.

We summer in VT at a remote cabin, and spend the winter in Asheville. It's a great way to live. Amazing summer weather and great community in VT, then a delicate taste of mild winter and lovely flowering spring in Asheville.

It's like having two different lives, the back and forth is a little tiring driving and leaving friends is hard, but worth it. Property taxes are steep in VT compared to Asheville.

Winter in VT would be too harsh for us.

Do you own both the cabin in VT and a home in Asheville or do you rent in either place? Winter in Asheville has also been on our dream list for retirement. Either that or year round in Asheville.

Doesn’t t your retirement income get taxed? Either state taxes it. Which one is your official residence?

Everyone’s financial aspect is varied. So you must take a detailed look at your individual situation

My Aunt moved from VT to NH, thinking she would pay less. Welp it’s not a reality. Yes no state income tax, but the property tax, car insurance and State fees (car reg, ....) all eat up the income tax savings.

Myself - comparing moving Permanent residence from VT to FL, a very slight savings. Vermont car and home owner insurance rates are extremely low compared to other States. These two items alone eat up the income tax saved.

Because I’m able control what my income is with Roth rollovers. We receive Aca subsidy’s and vermont property tax rebate. If my income increases over those limits, it will probably be wise to switch my residency.

Everyone’s financial aspect is varied. So you must take a detailed look at your individual situation

My Aunt moved from VT to NH, thinking she would pay less. Welp it’s not a reality. Yes no state income tax, but the property tax, car insurance and State fees (car reg, ....) all eat up the income tax savings.

Myself - comparing moving Permanent residence from VT to FL, a very slight savings. Vermont car and home owner insurance rates are extremely low compared to other States. These two items alone eat up the income tax saved.

Because I’m able control what my income is with Roth rollovers. We receive Aca subsidy’s and vermont property tax rebate. If my income increases over those limits, it will probably be wise to switch my residency.

But the taxes on SS and all other retirement income in VT and estate taxes down the line. Then NH does not have a sales tax.

I am also on an ACA plan in NH just until next June when I turn 65. I get full subsidies on a silver plan. My husband Medicare supplement much less expensive than in NY. And car and home insurance very inexpensive here.

But the taxes on SS and all other retirement income in VT and estate taxes down the line. Then NH does not have a sales tax.

I am also on an ACA plan in NH just until next June when I turn 65. I get full subsidies on a silver plan. My husband Medicare supplement much less expensive than in NY. And car and home insurance very inexpensive here.

As I said everyone’s financial picture is different.

My Aunt is retired with SS and military pension, but overall doesn’t save versus living in VT.

Vermont estate tax only effects those with over 5 million.

Back
Top Bottom