Ten Years Ago Today I Retired! An Update

To this day, I keep learning something new on this forum. I check in almost every day and most days, several times a day. I just want to see what my friends are working on each day!

Me, too.
Interesting how you obviously touched a nerve with a very insightful and well thought out post. (Certain individuals may take that as a hint.)

I've only been here half as long (but I have more posts so I must be one of those who needs a hint). OTOH, I began my ER just over 14 years ago and share essentially all of your feelings about it.

The most pertinent line (for me) in your post was
What a surprise to realize that RE includes an entire subculture from all walks of life and financial situations!

I think that has also been my biggest surprise, and it is truly delightful.

Great post !I am at 8 years and I can not believe how easy it has been to just relax .

Great post, and thanks for the write-up. It is always nice to hear real results and the voice of experience.

Thanks you for such an inspiring post. I am 35 days shy of my 10 years of ER.

PICT0186.jpg

Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful post; well written and gives some good food for thought. At just about 5 months into ER, this is valuable perspective for me.

Amazing! Inspirational. Thank you for a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm only 18 months into mine, but if someone had asked me to write down my thoughts and experiences so far it would read very much like your post.

That is, if I could manage to produce something as eloquent as you did. I doubt it. Well done, and thank you.

Congratulations on ten years, pal. Great post and +1 with everything you said. The collective wisdom of this forum is continually amazing to me, even though there seem to be few things we totally agree on other than retirement is the cats-a**.

I'm coming up on 4 years later this month and it has been wonderful.

Thanks for the post.

I retired from my company ten years ago today on 12.2.05, exactly 12205 days after I started. (note the numbers) I was 53.

Life is good!

Congrats... In just a little over two months my wife and I will be heading down the path you started 10 years back. I'm hoping to gain as much knowledge as you do we are successful in our retired years as you have been.

What if one thing you would have done differently if you knew then what you know now?

Congrats! And thanks for a reassuring post. Good wishes for many wonderful decades to come!

Thanks for a very thoughtful post. Hanging around here is like hanging out at the golf course putting green and talking with friends about their plans and experiences. It really helps to read others experiences before I take the plunge.

Wow, lots of insight in that post! Congrats.

Now I have to ask, how did that 12/2/2005 and 12205 days come about?

-ERD50

Happy 10 year anniversary! I agree with the other posters. This is a great post.

Congratulations! Good post. I guess this forum keeps your writing skills from degrading.

Good post. I am coming up on 11 years and can echo many of your sentiments.

Great post Marko, being a 10 year retiree myself, I can relate to most of your comments and observations. It is amazing how much we do identify with our job titles while we are working. Even as a retiree one of the most often asked questions asked when meeting someone is, what did you do before you retired.

Congratulations on 10 years of freedom marko.

It's only been 18 months for me but I'm glad to hear your 10 years experience has been good. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Nice summation Marko, congrats and wishing you many more happy years to come.

One more thank you for a great post. I find this forum very helpful in my early retirement at age 62. DW and I both got forced out of the work world. Best thing that ever happened to us. We had been planning retirement for the last 30 years. DW and I were both saving(investing) 20% to 30% of our gross income. Three years into retirement, currently age 65, life is good!!

Watertree

Congrats on 10 years and thanks for the great post. Inspiring for someone like me on the cusp of the RE cliff.

A toast to many more happy RE years for you!

I retired from my company ten years ago today on 12.2.05, exactly 12205 days after I started. (note the numbers) I was 53.

My last day at work is 12/31/15 when I will be 53 years and 364 days old. I am greatly heartened by your post. Thanks. :):cool:

Back
Top Bottom