Retirement in NW WA State?

I lived on Bainbridge Island for 15 years, moved back to Portland because our son and wife settled there (we are native Ducks).

Take a look at Pulsbo as travel to Seattle is easy and housing reasonable. Kitsap County has a fantastic library system.

Bellingham is ok (direct ferry to Seattle), lots of navy families and navy retirees. (My dentist was retired navy.. they don’t send submariners out with bed teeth.. he was excellent.)

Big box stores such as Costco between those towns.

Housing on Bainbridge is expensive because it is essentially a suburb of Seattle. That said the bus is timed to the ferry schedule and there are lots of community activities. If you have a heart attack on BI the local emergency services flys you to Seattle - included in your property taxes.

I lived on Bainbridge Island for 15 years, moved back to Portland because our son and wife settled there (we are native Ducks).

Take a look at Pulsbo as travel to Seattle is easy and housing reasonable. Kitsap County has a fantastic library system.

Bellingham is ok (direct ferry to Seattle), lots of navy families and navy retirees. (My dentist was retired navy.. they don’t send submariners out with bed teeth.. he was excellent.)

Big box stores such as Costco between those towns.

Housing on Bainbridge is expensive because it is essentially a suburb of Seattle. That said the bus is timed to the ferry schedule and there are lots of community activities. If you have a heart attack on BI the local emergency services flys you to Seattle - included in your property taxes.

Oops, Bremerton, not Bellingham.

Apologies OP, but I cant address your questions. However, in complete seriousness, here's an alternative idea. Move to Arizona, then in the blazing hot months, do a short term rental in the north Seattle area. Your kids will be eager to visit you in AZ during the winter and you can experience the best of the PNW in summer. That would probably be less expensive in the long run than living full time in the PNW and you can maximize your outdoor activity time. Also, if one or all kids move elsewhere in the country for a career move in the future, you'll still have a fixed home base and can just switch you location of summer abode.

Also, if one or all kids move elsewhere in the country for a career move in the future, you'll still have a fixed home base and can just switch you location of summer abode.

+1

This is a good suggestion and warning about following the kids around the country. I know of people who packed up and move thousands of miles to be 'near the kids and grandkids' . A few years later one of the kids gets anew job or takes a job in a far away city and they move. You get to follow them again. Worse you could be financially stuck in an area you otherwise never liked except for the proximity to your family who are no longer there. Be careful.

+1

This is a good suggestion and warning about following the kids around the country. I know of people who packed up and move thousands of miles to be 'near the kids and grandkids' . A few years later one of the kids gets anew job or takes a job in a far away city and they move. You get to follow them again. Worse you could be financially stuck in an area you otherwise never liked except for the proximity to your family who are no longer there. Be careful.

Yeah, moving for kids is rarely a good idea. Live where you want and visit the kids. Pay for the GKs to come visit you for 2 weeks. I've seen too many folks disappointed by moving for the kids/GKs. YMMV

Several of my former collogues purchased condos in AZ. Condo values are dropping to nearly giveaway values because of water. That would be the last place to move to IMHO.

Yes, find a home in a community that you will enjoy and has the resources you need. If you want something that will attract grandchildren choose Sunriver (south of Bend). It has activities for all ages (golfing, skiing, cycling, and a busy village center). We had a cabin in Sunriver when the kids were young but found the 4-hour drive from Portland too much and rarely used the cabin.

Last edited:
My brother has lived in Bellingham for 40 years and clearly loves it, but suggest that to preserve mental health you plan a 2-week winter vacation about February 1.

A friend who worked for Microsoft built a retirement home on Lopez Island, and it's beautiful. About a 40-minute ferry ride from Anacortes.

Do Google "Cascadia fault" and consider your risk tolerance. Even if you build above the inundation zone, PNW's economy and environment will be trashed for the rest of your life if a tsunami happens.

I have lived in Seattle my entire life (52 yo). If you think people "in Seattle" aren't friendly, I don't think you're going too be happy with the locals due north, either. I would avoid any counties where you are reliant on the ferry system. Also, Jefferson county has some severe housing shortages so for some of the more popular spots like Port Townsend etc. you really need to secure housing first before you decide to move.

If you have your heart set on north of Seattle, I think Bellingham is more what it sounds like you are looking for, it is not cheap, and it's hard to make a living there if you are bringing anyone with you who needs to be employed. For me, I can't really deal with being more than 2 hours from the SeaTac regional airport, so you kind of need to factor that in if you ever fly places (this would rule out living in Island county for me).

I would skip Cle Elum as it is very hot or very cold, and you'd be smack dab in forest fire country. I would skip eastern WA entirely as I can't deal with the heat or the politics.

I think there are some great areas south of Seattle - Tacoma is a rad town that often is overlooked and has more of that "Seattle" feel that people romanticize of 30+ years ago. Olympia has some really lovely neighborhoods and if you can deal with going a little further west, it is dirt cheap in Aberdeen and Hoquiam, but be advised that these places are kind of the remnants of the blown out logging ghetto and many consider them undesirable towns, they are among my personal faves.

The very bottom SW corner of the state has lots of interesting spaces, it does get pretty hot along the gorge but Washougal or Stevenson are quiet, quaint, bedroom community places with nice newer homes.

Where ever you want to try for, I would advise getting your feet wet first. Try and stay for a while to get the vibe. As a local, I notice that people often have a hard time putting down roots here - it doesn't work for everybody. I wouldn't worry too much about natual disasters, I dunno - I've lived through several - the two top ones I would worry about the most are lack of water and forest fires, so stay west of the cascades. Also maybe try and calm it down with the "seattle people are so unfriendly" attitude, it's really not helpful.

Last edited:
We moved to Seattle about ~5 years ago and really enjoy it. The medical and dental care is very good with many options. I have heard about the Tulip festival you mentioned but have not made it there yet. In general there are many types of events happening all year round. If you like boating, there is great access to the Salish Sea and the San Juan Islands. It is also just a short drive to the mountains and all the associated activities. In addition there is easy access to Canada for exploring further north.

I wanted to give an update, but first thanks to all for the wonderful advice. We ended up buying a home in Kitsap county at Rocky Point. We were lucky in that we found a home that checked all the boxes for much less than our max budget. However, the buying process was quite difficult due to very low inventory on the market while we were looking in March and April (especially for Skagit county). We are very blessed to have won the bidding war for the home we bought. I will also say that during our 2 month home search in Skagit, Whatcom, Island, and Kitsap counties that nearly everyone we met was extremely friendly and helpful. We've already made several really good friends so far. So thanks again!

Last edited:
That is a good location! We sometimes sail into that area. You also will get more benefit from the $8 ferry fee tacked onto everyone's vehicle registration than we do :LOL:

That is a good location! We sometimes sail into that area. You also will get more benefit from the $8 ferry fee tacked onto everyone's vehicle registration than we do :LOL:

Thanks. I've always wanted to learn how to sail. Noticed that the Bremerton Yacht Club down the street from us offer lessons. Maybe I'll take them up on it! :D

Thanks. I've always wanted to learn how to sail. Noticed that the Bremerton Yacht Club down the street from us offer lessons. Maybe I'll take them up on it! :D

We started up with Windworks (maybe still in business?) out of Shilshole Bay Marina. They have a fleet of boats and all of the courses up through blue water sailing. If you are a member and have passed the basic courses you can rent a boat for a day or more without a captain. In hindsight a pretty cheap way to sail vs our $360/month marina bill in Blaine lol. I think we rented out a 36 foot Beneteau a few times and it was only $100/day or something like that.

Nice area, glad you found a place to land!

Congrats. Good for you.

We lived in Vancouver, BC for 21 years. We spent a great deal of time touring all over Washington State and the San Juans.

We have not been to every State but from our perspective Washington State, and the area where you ended is our favorite. The state and the people.

Great choice. Not to mention the benefits..north and south exploring the coastline and the islands. And the western part of the state.

Jimmie, welcome to the PNW. I will be beating a trail past you while we build our new home in Sequim.
I want to organize a PNW get together from this forum in the future.
My personal experience with Rocky Point:
I worked for a utility contractor in 1993 and we replaced the ductile iron water main there.
We unloaded the trucks right there a block from the intersection at what is now the Islamic Center parking lot, and then I brought it all down the road on a single axle dump and equipment trailer.
It was a typical job till we got out to the very end, and it earned the name. Mathews is just a single lane with some turnouts, and we had to lay pipe and keep it open. it is solid rock.
There was a gas main on one side of us, and the old 2" iron water main on the other. We chiseled a slot between them with a hydraulic hammer on the hoe and managed about 39' a day progress. WHEW!

I wanted to give an update, but first thanks to all for the wonderful advice. We ended up buying a home in Kitsap county at Rocky Point. We were lucky in that we found a home that checked all the boxes for much less than our max budget. However, the buying process was quite difficult due to very low inventory on the market while we were looking in March and April (especially for Skagit county). We are very blessed to have won the bidding war for the home we bought. I will also say that during our 2 month home search in Skagit, Whatcom, Island, and Kitsap counties that nearly everyone we met was extremely friendly and helpful. We've already made several really good friends so far. So thanks again!

Be sure and do a river float trip in December or January along the Skagit River to view all the bald eagles!!!

Enjoy your journey, it sounds exciting.

Back
Top Bottom