"Retirement Makes You Stupid"

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This one is a real jewel:

Economist Todd Buchholz in his book "Rush," says retirement makes you stupid. "When people retire early they lose IQ points."

"Human beings need stress in their lives".

Retirement Makes You Stupid, Author Says - MarketWatch Video

From Amazon:
... in this provocative book, Todd Buchholz will convince you that what you really want is to chase your tail-even if you never catch it.
Not a chance...

Last edited:
there are a few studies that document this phenomenon.

use it or lose it applies to your (other) noodle too !

I believe our capabilities atrophy if we don't use them. And it probably is a mistake to retire early if all you're going to do is sit and watch T.V. all day. But there are plenty of ways to challenge yourself without having to let someone else call the shots.

There are also plenty of studies showing deleterious health effects for people working long hours. Apparently Mr. Buchholz thinks the goal is to maintain peak mental acuity so you can fully appreciate the heart attack that claims your life.

Instead, I think I'll take my chances that things like figuring out new environments every week and how to communicate in languages I don't speak will be enough mental stress to keep me sharp.

Economist Todd Buchholz in his book "Rush," says retirement makes you stupid. "When people retire early they lose IQ points."
Whut kin you git with them thar points anyhow? :uglystupid:

Eh...never mind, the only 'test' I care to take these days is dipping my toe in the water to make sure it's just right. :)

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

From everything I have heard, the best thing you can do for your brain is take care of your body. Exercise and good food. Low stress is in there somewhere as well.

Since I was bored by the lack of intellectual challenge at work, I don't think I lost much by retiring. There are plenty of ways to stimulate the "little grey cells" outside of a professional setting.

Stupidity is under-rated.

I spent at least 18 hours watching Tampa Bay Rays baseball in the last few weeks. That is more baseball than I have watched since I was 9. I know the batting order, approximate batting averages, and numerous personal anecdotes about most of the players. Sounds really stupid, I guess.

But what do you think is the first topic of conversation these days when the kids phone home? My DW, not a long-time baseball fan, now knows what an ERA is, what it means to have runners in scoring position. She knows a slider from a fastball, and knows my dislike of the designated hitter rule. She knows that I think I know more than the coaches and managers most of the time, and also knows I'm not to be taken seriously.

Our latest ritual is to watch a day game, and a big portion of guacamole appears in the 6th inning with a nice cold Negra Modelo.

Sure miss the smart old days. Not. Sure hope I can find lots of other ways to get stupid.

P.S. I even got to keep a few reminders of when I used to be smart, by volunteering in a charity clinic a couple of times a month. The patients are grateful, the students are entertaining and challenging, and I am superman because I work for free. My younger (and presumably smarter) still-working colleagues are the only ones with furrowed faces, rushing for no particular reason, whining about the latest bit of paperwork inserted by others into their daily duties.

Moderation in all things. I'm convinced you indeed 'use it or lose it' with your mind like your muscles. I plan to stay active to keep my mind stimulated, just not with the inevitable pointless issues and false "emergencies" that some [-]loser[/-] schmuck at work dreamed up...

Stupidity is under-rated.

I spent at least 18 hours watching Tampa Bay Rays baseball in the last few weeks. That is more baseball than I have watched since I was 9. I know the batting order, approximate batting averages, and numerous personal anecdotes about most of the players. Sounds really stupid, I guess.

But what do you think is the first topic of conversation these days when the kids phone home? My DW, not a long-time baseball fan, now knows what an ERA is, what it means to have runners in scoring position. She knows a slider from a fastball, and knows my dislike of the designated hitter rule. She knows that I think I know more than the coaches and managers most of the time, and also knows I'm not to be taken seriously.

Our latest ritual is to watch a day game, and a big portion of guacamole appears in the 6th inning with a nice cold Negra Modelo.

Sure miss the smart old days. Not. Sure hope I can find lots of other ways to get stupid.

P.S. I even got to keep a few reminders of when I used to be smart, by volunteering in a charity clinic a couple of times a month. The patients are grateful, the students are entertaining and challenging, and I am superman because I work for free. My younger (and presumably smarter) still-working colleagues are the only ones with furrowed faces, rushing for no particular reason, whining about the latest bit of paperwork inserted by others into their daily duties.
:)

Yeah, well I'd rather be stupid than have a heart attack or stroke working.

I haven't read the book so I am speculating about his findings, but I would expect that early retirees as a group lose a statistically significant few IQ points or are a few IQ points lower than an otherwise demographically similar group of their working peers. Most early retirees retire early due to loss of job or disability. That makes them different and not surprisingly leads to a lower IQ. We, on the other hand, are a rarity - ERs who worked to achieve our status. We are a lot smarter than the average worker, let alone early retiree. :)

Most early retirees retire early due to loss of job or disability. That makes them different and not surprisingly leads to a lower IQ. We, on the other hand, are a rarity - ERs who worked to achieve our status. We are a lot smarter than the average worker, let alone early retiree.
Pretty smart. Surprised a retired guy could come up with that. :)

I really don't care if I get stupider as I age as long as I live long enough to say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Here's a link to one of the references regarding ER and mental health. The article claims that brain function decline is not inevitable given mental use.

Mental Retirement

Note- I should tread a little easier on some of you now. That is now that I know that you are and have been impaired - I'll try to be more supportive of your condition.

I was stuck in a bureacracy doing the same old same old, mostly in "hurry up and wait" mode. Everything was so confined and predictable. Talk about brain-drain! :(

In FIRE, I am finding my brain is more challenged by the variety of projects and activites that I plan and accomplish, with no interference from the cluster flies ;) , and can actually see results in short order.

Sometimes I get lazy and do mindless things with no productive purpose, but you know what? It is MY choice to do so. :dance:

I work part time doing computer programming. I still like the problem solving.

Work is actually not so bad now that I am no longer a manager.

"Human beings need stress in their lives".
The presumption seems to be that the only reliable source of stress in this world is the workplace. I can believe that. However I'm not sure that I need to have the workplace give me more stress than I already have.

Seems to me the ratio of stupid:smart things that I did dropped precipitously after I retired-- by three or four orders of magnitude. I'm not sure how that correlates with a loss of IQ.

I'd rather be a stupid, unstressed ER than a smart, stressed economist. I'm sure that "publish or perish" doesn't contribute to his stress, either...

Joining Mensa is not on my bucket list! ;)

Great... life advice from a former hedge fund manager that stopped and wrote a book.

Probably funded by some group of employers... Wooork,,,, WoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOrk

Here's a link to one of the references regarding ER and mental health. The article claims that brain function decline is not inevitable given mental use.

Mental Retirement

Note- I should tread a little easier on some of you now. That is now that I know that you are and have been impaired - I'll try to be more supportive of your condition.

From the article cited above:

the prospect of early retirement may bring about a decreased level of mental exercise while still on the job. Since the human capital production function requires a person to combine cognitive ability, stock of knowledge and effort to produce additional human capital, mental exercise tends to be an increasing function of the volume of investment. For workers late in their careers, the value of continuing to build work-related human capital is very sensitive to the length of the remaining working life. For example, a 50-year-old worker in the United States who expects to work until 65 has a much greater incentive to continue investing in human capital than does a worker in Italy who expects to retire at 57. Thus, we hypothesize that differences in retirement incentives across countries create a reduction in mental exercise at work that may begin well before actual retirement. We call this the “on-the-job” retirement effect.

So even thinking about and planning for early retirement affects our mental capacity. By extension, even for those of us still working, spending time surfing the ER forum makes us less engaged and stupider.:eek:

I do think there is something to using your brain----but I don't know that even the highest paying, most prestigious jobs are constantly requiring new learning. I thought the required continuing ed courses weren't the least bit challenging intellectually---just eight hours of boredom a day to maintain my license.

I'm still learning new stuff in ER. Today at the gym was a special type of kick boxing class. With all the Meetups I do, I am learning new names and interacting with a variety of people. Am learning Japanese style mah jong. On Saturday I will attempt to learn Korean. Lots of reading. Independent and foreign movies. And of course, this site never fails with new info daily...

The level of Stupid I want to discover = gloss over the b s from megacrap.

I would pay $$ to be a few points lower on the IQ scale or stupid scale as it would help me tolerate some of the day-to-day nonsense at w*rk!

But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom