"Retirement Makes You Stupid"

Me thinks the author of the study is showing his ignorance of the mental stimulation available to one in retirement.

Like some of the other folks posting here I have also jumped into photography in a big way. Sold my old stuff and have been collecting gently used much better glass to do with my new camera that I got for free with credit card points. Free is good.

Let me see if I can recall when in my 4 year ER journey I started losing IQ...Hmmm; was it when I explored the country coast to coast twice and enjoyed what the various parts of the country offer? No, that could not be it since it was a learning experience and therefore exercised my brain. How about getting back into SCUBA diving after a 25 year dry spell and moving up a level in my certification? No, that can't be it since that requires study of many different aspects of physiology, marine biology, physics, equipment use and maintenance, underwater navigation, dry suit mastery, compressed gas management, and a few other mental and physical skills. How about starting a new business in a field you never experienced before? No, that can't be it either...learning accounting, business law, taxes, local and Federal regulations on payroll, purchasing, store management and various software programs to run the whole thing. You get the point.

Most of us are far to busy using our brains and bodies in ER to lose any IQ points (what ever they are anyway...). You don't have to read many posts in this section of the Forum to see that most of us are over-achievers in most things...so why would ER be any different?

Oh, I believe in the old saying that alcohol kills off brain cells. I believe the strongest ones survive and the weak ones are killed off. Natural selection at its' finest....Darwin would be amused.

Me thinks the author of the study is showing his ignorance of the mental stimulation available to one in retirement.
Me thinks the author of the study is showing his ignorance of the mental stimulation available to one at work! There are an awful lot of mentally deadening jobs out there!

Most of us are far to busy using our brains and bodies in ER to lose any IQ points (what ever they are anyway...). You don't have to read many posts in this section of the Forum to see that most of us are over-achievers in most things...so why would ER be any different?
Exactly!!!!

Retirement makes you stupid?

Naah....I was stupid long before I retired. :)

Yeah, like "stupid like a fox"

Most working stiffs only wish they could ER but the reality of it is that most have no idea of how to invest, blow $$ on useless stuff, then pine about how life would be so nice if they could only ER.

I think most on this board have more than enough IQ points to stand losing a few and still being way ahead of the crowd.

I worked for 44 years and hated every minute. As far as I'm concerned, my life started 4 years ago when I retired. Am I dumber now? Don't know or care; I'm happy!

Back
Top Bottom