secrets to happy retirement

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Today's Wall Street Journal weekly Clements' article is about improving odds of a happy retirement. He has seven pointers gleaned from "happiness research" by economists (?). Some are common sense, some are debatable, but to summarize:

1. Value your time. Clements says that people become more and more unhappy as they get older, with unhappiness peaking in the 40s, and then people get happier. The theory is you are happiest when you have more time and more freedom and control over your daily life.

2. Think ahead. Clements says those who plan their retirement are usually happier than those pushed out of the workforce.

3. Expect less. Clements says researchers have found that greater income and wealth lead to greater happiness, but what is most important is relative wealth, including your wealth relative to your expectations. What matters is the gap between what you have and what you think you ought to have.

4. Pick your neighbors. People care about how their standard of living compares to their neighbors, so don't move to a neighborhood you can barely afford.

5. Buy yourself income. Retirees who receive traditional company pensions are happier than those with only their own savings plans, like 401(k) plans, probably because of the sense of security which comes with a guaranteed, predictable income. Clements suggest using some of your assets to buy an immediate annuity if you are in good health to provide a "guaranteed" stream of income.

6. Work at retirement. One economist found that working in retirement seems to increase satisfaction. However, retirees are less satisfied is they aren't working, but their spouse is.

7. Invest in friendship. Research suggests that seeing good friends will make you happier than having material things.

I wonder if any of the economists that did the study are retired.

This seems a lot like the Catholic Priest doing Marriage Counseling. :D

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

I like that one!

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

I don't think Clements is retired.

It is interesting the part about the one spouse working makes the other spouse less happy. In a way it would seem good for the non-working spouse just to have some alone time. But I guess if the work interfers with making travel plans, etc (like DH still working right now) I can totally see the point.

Maybe if the working spouse had a part-time, flexible job it wouldn't be as bad.

shiney said:
It is interesting the part about the one spouse working makes the other spouse less happy. In a way it would seem good for the non-working spouse just to have some alone time. But I guess if the work interfers with making travel plans, etc (like DH still working right now) I can totally see the point.

Maybe if the working spouse had a part-time, flexible job it wouldn't be as bad.

Being a selfless individual, I'm more than willing to share the pain and become the non-working spouse for a while...hey, it might work? :D

Right! I shouldn't be unhappy at all to be the non-working spouse.

In fact I am SO happy not to have to wear panty-hose this summer! That in itself should make for a happy retirement. :)

Martha said:
5.  Buy yourself income.  Retirees who receive traditional company pensions are happier than those with only their own savings plans, like 401(k) plans, probably because of the sense of security which comes with a guaranteed, predictable income.  Clements suggest using some of your assets to buy an immediate annuity if you are in good health to provide a "guaranteed" stream of income.

I wonder how many that post here have purchased and immediate annuity or plan to do so?

Have not and no plan to do so. My pensions may be the equivalent anyway.

DOG50,
I considered using part of my 401k to buy an immediate annuity, but the Vanguard person said not to buy it. I'm too young (58); said wait until I'm at least 65 to even consider such a thing.
That's why I like Vanguard - they don't push you into bad investments !
Ray

Also, the interest rates are low right now. You would be locking in very low rates for life if you bought now.

Michael said:
Also, the interest rates are low right now.  You would be locking in very low rates for life if you bought now.

True! Many overlook the importance of this.

JG

The state of mind for sucess in any venture, including retirement, includes optimism tempered by good judgement derived from experience.

To summarize...

"And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine"

Life is only as good as you make it - do not neglet the vices!!!

DOG50,
I considered using part of my 401k to buy an immediate annuity, but the Vanguard person said not to buy it.   I'm too young (58);  said wait until I'm at least 65 to even consider such a thing.
That's why I like Vanguard - they don't push you into bad investments !
Ray

R U kidding, VG makes more if you don't do the annuity - that's a low fee overall for them since it's fixed.

I think they got you good on that one.

They did push the bad investment... I think :-\

Beststash said:
To summarize...

Good advice! Maybe Beststash can run as "Vice" Pres. on the 2008
ticket with Unclemick :)

JG

A little New Orlean's advice:

Never plan to party - party now - but never burn yourself out - so's you can plan on being in shape for the next party.

Bon Temps Rolliere - let the good times roll.

Beststash said:
To summarize...

Whites? - speed?

Just a song that came to mind during my "Happy Hour".

Not sure about the whites - probably speed (legacy drug) - I am not sure they even make that stuff anymore....probably nowdays there is some exotic prescription??

Seriously though, I think the secret to a happy retirement is to never forget you are on "permanent vacation".

Retirement is a permanent vacation, but you never know when it's going to be over. So I go for the gusto every day!

One thing I really miss is the good old days of summer vacation back when I was a kid. I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was, and wouldn't even know it was Saturday until you realized Mom and Dad hadn't gone to work! And that's one thing i look forward to, when I do retire...taking things at my pace, and nobody else's, and even losing track of time on occasion!

Nowadays though, it almost seems like you blink your eyes and summer is over. I still get a bit excited when summer comes around, I guess it's still some of that carefree little kid in me. And even though all I do is work all summer, and it's usually too hot outside to really do much, I still miss it when it's over, and the days start getting noticeably shorter.

Andre1969 said:
One thing I really miss is the good old days of summer vacation back when I was a kid.  I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was, and wouldn't even know it was Saturday until you realized Mom and Dad hadn't gone to work!  And that's one thing i look forward to, when I do retire...taking things at my pace, and nobody else's, and even losing track of time on occasion!

Nowadays though, it almost seems like you blink your eyes and summer is over.  I still get a bit excited when summer comes around, I guess it's still some of that carefree little kid in me.  And even though all I do is work all summer, and it's usually too hot outside to really do much, I still miss it when it's over, and the days start getting noticeably shorter.
The days are getting shorter. Doesn't really bother me until daylight savings time changes and then I'm getting off work in the dark. But when I retire in 16 months.....that will no longer be a problem. I will be able enjoy every season of the year as though its my childhood summer vacation.  :D

I've noticed that there always seems to be one day in August where, suddenly, it hits me. HEY, it's getting dark at 8:00!! :eek: In fact, I still remember, back in 1996, when I had a second job delivering pizza for Little Caesar's, looking out the front windows from inside and commenting on that. Kinda put a downer on everybody's mood in the store. But then, the following year, I was still there, and sure enough, one day in August, I said the same thing. And then it hit me...I'd said the same thing the last year...amazing sometimes just how fast a year can go by!

I used to really dread it when we went off Daylight Savings Time, but for some reason it just doesn't bother me anymore. Still get excited when we go back on it, though!

Andre1969 said:
I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was...
I don't know why the retirement metaphor is a gold watch. It should be a calendar...

Back
Top Bottom