Shall I take up Gardening?

Gardening can be fun if you grow easy things like tomatoes, squash, zucchini and herbs. Otherwise I find it to be tedious and time consuming.

I like to grow kale, it's pest-resistance and so easy to grow. I harvested some this weekend after several days of frost, which makes it sweeter. It overwinters well so we can have fresh kale early the following year. There are many ways to prepare it, and if we get too much, I'll blanch it, squeeze out the water, and freeze it to add to soups or casseroles later.

We grew kale, dinosaur kale for the first time this year and we were so happy with it. We basically did nothing and they kept on growing. We would just go to the garden and snip off some leaves for stir fries as we needed them. They were still standing until the snow hit us. We should have done what you mentioned (blanch and freeze).

Of course the most awesome thing to grow is tomatoes, because you just can't get anything like home grown tomatoes. You have to have a warm enough climate and plenty of sunshine.

Unless you find something great in a farmer's market, you just can't buy anything resembling home grown really ripe tomatoes anymore.

I've had a small veggie garden for years. However, I think I'm going to stick to herbs, since that is very cost effective. I have sage, thyme and oregano as perennials. Cilantro is easy but bolts early, so you have to plant batches of seeds. They are all very insect resistant as well-except basil. Japanese beetles seem to love basil. One year we were overrun with Japanese beetles. I found that if I put a fine mesh over the plants they liked (beans and basil, I had virtually no problem. They have to find the plants from above, apparently.

Another mainly herb gardener here. We're far enough south that oregano, sage, thyme, parsley, and rosemary are perennials. I also grow several varieties of basil each year. I have had no luck with squash of any kind - either squash vine borers kill the plants (most years) or the plants grow and bloom but never set fruit. This year I had several tomato plants - they didn't do squat in the spring but survived the summer and I had a bumper fall crop (harvested the last ripe ones just a few days ago, and also had a nice harvest of green tomatoes to pickle). Highly recommend drip irrigation - makes it easier for things to survive when you are traveling or just busy.

+1 for drip irrigation. You put it on a timer, set how long to run and that's it. You can buy adjustable heads to tailor the water to each plant.
I have 2 zones. One for the front that gets moire sun, and another for the side.

+1 for the timers. You may also want to get a water hammer arrester. Most timers that you attach to your faucet have valves that snap open and hammer the pipes. This is not only loud but can damage the pipes over time (according to DH, who used to work for the City water department). You can get arresters made for washing machines for ~$12-$20 at the hardware store.

Rabbits showed up in our neighborhood about 10 years ago. Migrated here, apparently. They were good at eating all my green bean plants as soon as they sprouted. I used to try to scare them off, for the first few years, but they wore me down eventually. Now I grow my green beans in pots, up on a table away from the rabbits, and transplant them into the garden when they are about 8 inches tall, when the rabbits no longer find them tasty enough to eat. I second the idea of growing tomatoes. Cheap to get them as young plants ($1.25 each where I get them) , grow well, and often produce a lot of fruit. Every year they get some sort of leaf blight that kills them off in late August or September, but that's after I have harvested a lot of good tomatoes.

Of course the most awesome thing to grow is tomatoes, because you just can't get anything like home grown tomatoes. You have to have a warm enough climate and plenty of sunshine.

Even here on the Canadian prairies, tomatoes grow very well.

My mother has a large garden...probably 100' x 100" (she grew up on a farm). I do the heavy lifting for her, but she still spends hours tending it. My recommendation is to do it because you like it not to save money. Start small with containers or a little 10' x 10' plot. It's a lot more work that some people think.

Absolutely take up gardening if you have an interest. Gardening is a wonderful hobby that has so many benefits and the fun part is learning about what you are growing and how and when to harvest the fruit of your labor. It is also an outdoor activity and there us nothing more pleasurable then being outdoor and getting your hands dirty from the earth.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Vegetable gardening is a very enjoyable hobby. I have a few raised gardening beds which make working the soil really easy. And by living in Sacramento, you're the envy of at least 80% of members on the Gardening Forum.

Keep it small and include some items you know you will enjoy using like fresh basil and chives. One successful tomato plant in a small raised bed can be a joy to a beginner versus a weedy patch in the yard that you don't even want to look at.

I love to garden and we have over three dozen different types of fruiting trees and vines.

I try to plant one or two varieties new to me each season as part of the fun. This summer a new sweet corn variety and serrano peppers. Also planted some White Jade pineapples in large pots.

This year we planted some Comfrey to try in the little herb & medicinal kitchen garden we keep adjacent to the back door. It's leaves are good for soothing fire ant stings. The most handy are the fresh herbs, especially fresh chives & oregano for garnishing meals.
This fall trying Asparabroc. Next spring will be Jicama.

Each year in the garden is a unique experience, been doing it since I was 5. Grew up in a family with a 2 acre garden we shared with a neighbor farmer & worked with a small tractor. My dad made it fun, not just hard work.

Last edited:
I mostly grow Okra and Tomatoes for great summer meals. This year I am considering a couple raised gardens as I have always just tilled and planted. I like the idea of being able to control the weeds and soil composition in a raised garden. Any tips out there from raised garden folks?

I now grow only a few tomato plants, but LOTS of flowers in pots and in the 12x12 garden and borders....mostly day lillies, cosmos, zinnias, nasturtiums, and lilliums...

I like herbs too....especially fresh rosemary.

Used to grow a lot more veggies but found for the cost and work I could get what I needed as a single person at a local farm market. I recall tossing zucchinis the size of small bombs into the field behind my house...couldn't keep up with them!!!

I REALLY like flowers. I like to go out each early morning and deadhead them and just enjoy them.....I find the physical act of deadheading...bending to reach the farthest ones, walking around with scissors and pail, watering if needed, and just enjoying summer mornings for an hour, VERY enjoyable...it helps that I have a really nice view of a large pond and mountains behind the house....

Also it gently stretches out the kinks I'm beginning to encounter with old(er) age.

Flowers make my world go round in summer!!!

I like the idea of being able to control the weeds and soil composition in a raised garden. Any tips out there from raised garden folks?

If you're planning a raised garden, I highly recommend laying a hardware cloth (a wired mesh) at the bottom and staple it to the sides of the box, to keep voles from entering your garden from the bottom. Then I lay landscape cloth to keep weeds from growing through but still allow good water drainage. Then add good soil and organic fertilizer/amendments. Because summers in Placer County get pretty warm, I did set up a drip system on timers so plants didn't wilt during heat waves and I could go on vacation without everything dying.

It takes some effort to set up initially, but once it's done, there's so much to enjoy.

If you're planning a raised garden, I highly recommend laying a hardware cloth (a wired mesh) at the bottom and staple it to the sides of the box, to keep voles from entering your garden from the bottom. Then I lay landscape cloth to keep weeds from growing through but still allow good water drainage. Then add good soil and organic fertilizer/amendments. Because summers in Placer County get pretty warm, I did set up a drip system on timers so plants didn't wilt during heat waves and I could go on vacation without everything dying.

It takes some effort to set up initially, but once it's done, there's so much to enjoy.

Thanks for the great tips. I will set up irrigation drips as well. I am guessing the hardware cloth is available at Lowes/Home Depot?

Is the use of cedar sides recommended or should it be composed of composite sides?

Thanks again,

VW

Redwood lasts longer, cedar is next. You can use concrete blocks too.

I get two 12 foot x 1 foot redwood boards and cut 4 feet off the end. Then I have two 8 foot lengths and 2 4 foot ends. Use a couple of L-brackets at each corner to keep the boards together.

For soil, our farm advisor recommends using 70% top soil and 30% compost. As the compost breaks down, you still have plenty of top soil. Then add compost every year or two as needed.

Yes Dear!

The 80 acres, zone 5b, the Wife grew up on is in CRP-2. However her Brother passed away and after the auction 3 months ago there are 5 empty outbuildings and 13 acres of 'lawn.'

Yes Dear is Milkweed(Monarch Butterfly) and Pollinators(Prairie flowers for bees and butterflies). I have been to the hobby store and installed a solar pond aerator. Next will be some hobby level wind turbines. and maybe more solar panels.

This is dangerous. We have both spent 30 plus years 'in da city.'

heh heh heh - keeping it local, I have been to Seymour Missouri and will visit Mansfield before Spring. Nothing like ER for time and discretionary cash to make one susceptible to a new hobby. ;) :facepalm: :cool:

Have you tried Rosemary bushes? I hardly ever had to water my rosemary bush, but it kept on growing. I also planted a small bay leaf tree. ]...

+1 enjoy my bay (soup, boiled potatoes) and rosemary (chicken, soups), zero upkeep except pruning the bay. I also enjoy the mint growing in a soggy part of my yard (tzatziki). In PNW, raspberries and blueberries grow great with little care, but the birds like them too.

I like the idea of being able to control the weeds and soil composition in a raised garden. Any tips out there from raised garden folks?

I have been using raised beds for 10 years now, and I follow a method called Square Foot Gardening. I recommend that you get the book "All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. He was a retired civil engineer who developed a method to maximize production in a small and manageable space.

I love gardening! That’s what I want to do when I retired! U can subscribe to some YouTube gardening channels! Pinterest! And all~~~ so many free resources out there! Join ur neighborhood gardening club or start one! :)

I can relate on the snow peas. Mine got so much mildew (this was in Northern California..)

Have you tried Rosemary bushes? I hardly ever had to water my rosemary bush, but it kept on growing. I also planted a small bay leaf tree. I had to prune it every year since it grew so fast, but I just loved having fresh bay leaves for cooking, any time I needed them, and the fragrance was so much nicer than the dried.

Just get some whole milk and mix with 4 parts of water and spay! That kills the mildew, but it’s a on going process.

Have gardened for years and still learning about things. One doesn't have to be retired to start. I've found that gardening can be hard on the back. Particularly if you have a back condition like I do.

So I've done a few things that help me to reduce back issues like:
1) Only do it maybe an hour at a time if you are bending down a lot
2) Mix the activities during your gardening session
3) Make a stoop worth it. Like use a small container to take up leaves rather then scooping by hand and moving up/down.
4) Use your thighs and bend down the right way
5) Maybe do some gym work to strengthen back, shoulder, arm muscles

I think gardening is an excellent way to add to one's exercise routine if done the right way. Oh, and don't forget the suntan lotion. :)

I would like to have a garden but any food out in the yard starts a wildlife food chain starting with rats and the rats alone can do a lot of damage, let alone predators that eat rats. We had to have an air conditioner repaired and a washing machine replaced due to rat damage, and had a long saga of trying to keep them out from under the house. Spray on foam insulation that hardens after it dried finally worked for keeping them out from under the house, but even that has gnaw marks!

I'm going to try herb gardening this year. I'm hoping rats won't eat garlic. If they do then I give up.

Back
Top Bottom