Short-term leasing - house/condo/hotel room in europe or asia

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When we ER, we will travel. I am wanting to tour Europe. Probably start with Western Europe. I am thinking about staying in a central location and use it as a hub to explore the area then move on. I have not fully worked it out, but I suspect that we may spend as much as 1-2 months in some areas. I am looking for ways that are less expensive than a hotel room. We are not looking to scrimp, but we do not want to spend $200/night either. we are not interested in RVs or campers for this trip. We might consider hostels for a short stay of a day or so.

Do any of you have experience in short-term leases of furnished apts or cottages in Western Europe? Where is the gold mine of info? Or do you have a better ideas for accomodations?

There are many sites that have apartments you can find... just Google...

I used to do that for short term trips..... Usually they have a 'day rate', a 'week rate' and a monthly rate... The day rate was still cheaper than the hotels and you got a real living room with couch and a separate bedroom... and all had a kitchenette so you could cook etc..

All over Europe you will find small B&Bs (not the Laura Ashley style, but often just 2-4 rooms) or private rooms or a small apt rented out by private persons in their house. Normally breakfast is included and very often you could use a kitchen for some cooking if you want.
Search the websites of the city's tourist information for contact data and pricing information. If you rent for more than some days, pricing is often up to negotiations.

In some countries youth hostels do not have age restrictions and offer a private room with own bathroom for a couple or family.

Or try subletting, for example via http://www.mitwohnzentrale.de/staedteliste.php.
Many students try to sublet their appartment while they spend a semester abraod or have an internship in another city.
You will also find regular holiday homes all over Europe.

Try to avoid July and August due to school holidays.

this is how i want to travel as well. i've only been doing my mini-roadtrips so far over the last year and each time i find that after a few days in hotels, i just want to come home. i won't start extended travel until after inherited house sells. but at that time my hope is that setting up house in an apartment or studio for a few months at a time will keep me from seeking my home.

i've been studying how to do this and so far craiglist seems to be a very good resource for housing in the united states & canada. for international travel i've been googling area real estate, local newspapers, sublet sites etc. i always find people willing at least to lease for a few months at a time. sometimes the minimum is 6 months but i think i might like traveling by spending a half year here and there if i can become comfortable with here & there being home.

You might try craigslist. That's how I found apartments and spare bedrooms for rent in Prague. I posted what I wanted, and a local offered his services... it was a bargain and by having an in with a local, I got lots of help with local customs, best tasting inexpensive food and avoiding touristy spots, as well as maps and directions.

Granted, not everybody will provide that kind of service... but on craigslist there's a lot more opportunity for the smaller operations like that to distinguish themselves.

Try www.VRBO.com for USA and other countries too. A certain amount of trust is involved. But I rented a place from owners in Hawaii who only wanted a deposit and the balance on arrival, just like a hotel.

I have used VRBO.com for European Apartment rentals instead of hotels, and have had great experience. You might was to rent for a short period, get over there and then look for a longer term when you can "see" the neighborhood and unit involved.

We rented an apartment the last time we were in Paris. It was really a nice apartment, except for the creeky floors and the people that lived one floor below. We had to tip toe around after 7 pm and that was hard to do with those old floors....other than that it was a wonderful experience.

Back
Top Bottom