Leaving valuables in hotel room or?

The manager was “deeply concerned” and sorry but was absolutely sure that none of her employees could have been involved. :mad: Right. She said possibly I didn’t make sure my door was pulled shut securely, blah, blah, blah. Nope. I even put the “Do Not Disturb” sign out as I always do so it would appear I was sleeping. She also told me I might want to visit some pawn shops in the area to see if my jewelry turned up there.

I did contact corporate Hilton later that day and got the same platitudes without anything more. I got the feeling this wasn’t an uncommon occurrence. I mostly stay at Hilton properties and have a high “status” with them but that and $5 bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

That is unfortunate. I am very surprised that more hotels do not have hall security cameras, where they could at least record who is going in and out of the rooms.

This is one reason I have chosen to not buy expensive phones. I have not paid more than $150 for my smart phones, that is about the limit I will not grieve over if it is stolen or lost :).

Yeah, when I could no longer use my flip phone, I bought an Android clone for $89. Does what I need and a good thief wouldn't look at it twice. :facepalm:

We've used hotel safes for DW's jewelry, etc. But she hasn't been taking jewelry on trips for years. I do take a dslr camera and a couple of lenses on most trips, and sometimes leave them in my backpack in the room.

That is unfortunate. I am very surprised that more hotels do not have hall security cameras, where they could at least record who is going in and out of the rooms.

Most of them do! I was just looking at this at my recent Hilton property stays (Hampton and Tru). I'm a fan of the show "See No Evil" and it is amazing all the cameras out there. That got me looking. Both hotels had cameras at the elevator entrances that also shot down the hallway.

If it is just you asking, I am guessing they'll have an excuse about the cameras not working unless it is law enforcement making the request. They will especially delay and defer if an inside job is suspected.

As for jewelry; I asked DW for a silicon wedding band. Great gift! Helps avoid me having problems when working with electricity and tools. I also exclusively wear it on vacation. Wear the fancy stuff at home when you go to a nice dinner.

Last edited:
I have traveled extensively domestically and internationally for nearly 40 years. I occasionally use the in-room safe but in all my travels, I have never been a victim of in-room theft. From my experience, I would say don’t worry, be happy. The folks who clean your room needs the job and don’t need prison. The possibility of a cat burglar is extremely remote unless of course you happen to be traveling with the Hope Diamond.

Like other people have said, we don't take any valuables when traveling. Toiletries, some clothes, and an older cheap laptop that has no financial information on it. If someone broke into the room and took everything we wouldn't shed a tear.

We do the same when we go to Mexico for 8 weeks...toiletries, clothes, and a cheap laptop.

We both have decent mid-level cell phones but we always take them when we leave the room.

Like other people have said, we don't take any valuables when traveling. Toiletries, some clothes, and an older cheap laptop that has no financial information on it.
Yes absolutely agree with this. No valuables on travel. I do not even carry a laptop when traveling, extremely old tablet only. Additional bonus: it is easier to come through security at airport.

Back
Top Bottom