Silly Frugality?

I try very hard not to waste food. The only thing that is hard not to waste at times is salad--greens often go back before I can use them. Otherwise I'm quite frugal with food.

You take salad greens back to the store?

I've read about the woman who returned the cut Christmas tree because it died, but this is a new one.

The only thing that is hard not to waste at times is salad--greens often go [-]back[/-]bad before I can use them. Otherwise I'm quite frugal with food.

Butter lettuce wilts very quickly and there is nothing to be done except to toss it. My solution, if I’m not sure I can use it quickly, is to buy spinach, kale or chard instead. These are more resilient and can be sautéed or included in soups.

I buy spring mix and spinach in large containers at Costco. Even though I can seldom use it all before it goes bad, it works out significantly cheaper than buying it a grocery store.

Luckily my lettuce and spinach raised beds here in FL are just about ready to start harvesting. I shouldn't have to buy any of either for the next few months.

Here is a "silly frugality" for those who are still working. And somewhat related to leftovers...

Megacorp used to reimburse you for actual daily costs when traveling. Of course, you had to turn in receipts to provide it. And then someone had to process your expenses, verify the receipts, call you with questions, receipts would get lost, etc.

So... Megacorp decided no more having to turn in receipts, as the cost of processing expenses reports was (in some decision makers mind) too expensive. Based on their analysis of years of travel expenditures, you get a set allowance per day. If you exceed it, tough luck. If you come in under it, fine, Megacorp does not care, you keep the balance, no questions asked. So you you just put down the number of travel days and you get the allowance amount automatically reimbursed.

So... the "silly frugality" is to see how much of that allowance one can hang onto. It usually boils down to where are the cheapest and healthiest places one can find to eat. Mickey D's 5/6 nights in a row will not cut it.

An informal network of folks has developed who share good but cheap places to eat at various travel locations (we call them "price performers" :)). Some to adhere to this as much as possible. Some think "why bother", and see the per diem as helping to subsidize their big fancy meal. Guess which group is more likely to reach FI/RE... :cool:

It gets really "silly" when the travel event is a conferences. Some of these conferences will have informal evening "networking" session where appetizers are served. Sometimes these are really, really good appetizers... and the "silly frugalers" see if they can make a meal of it to avoid having to buy dinner somewhere else that night. If one is staying in a hotel where the room has a fridge and microwave, the "extreme silly frugalers" will try to figure out a way to bring some of the food back, and have it as leftovers for some of their meals the rest of the week.

Here is a "silly frugality" for those who are still working. And somewhat related to leftovers...

Megacorp used to reimburse you for actual daily costs when traveling. Of course, you had to turn in receipts to provide it. And then someone had to process your expenses, verify the receipts, call you with questions, receipts would get lost, etc.

So... Megacorp decided no more having to turn in receipts, as the cost of processing expenses reports was (in some decision makers mind) too expensive. Based on their analysis of years of travel expenditures, you get a set allowance per day. If you exceed it, tough luck. If you come in under it, fine, Megacorp does not care, you keep the balance, no questions asked. So you you just put down the number of travel days and you get the allowance amount automatically reimbursed.

So... the "silly frugality" is to see how much of that allowance one can hang onto. It usually boils down to where are the cheapest and healthiest places one can find to eat. Mickey D's 5/6 nights in a row will not cut it.

An informal network of folks has developed who share good but cheap places to eat at various travel locations (we call them "price performers" :)). Some to adhere to this as much as possible. Some think "why bother", and see the per diem as helping to subsidize their big fancy meal. Guess which group is more likely to reach FI/RE... :cool:

It gets really "silly" when the travel event is a conferences. Some of these conferences will have informal evening "networking" session where appetizers are served. Sometimes these are really, really good appetizers... and the "silly frugalers" see if they can make a meal of it to avoid having to buy dinner somewhere else that night. If one is staying in a hotel where the room has a fridge and microwave, the "extreme silly frugalers" will try to figure out a way to bring some of the food back, and have it as leftovers for some of their meals the rest of the week.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and got over it. I used to worry about pocketing per diem but after a decade of business travel I got over it and started living better on travel. I didn't stop going to the networking sessions - some of those had really good food - but I didn't hesitate to go to a good restaurant.

I still looked for happy hours and other frugal deals, but after a while - with a per diem coming in - it was better to "blow the dough".

Of course directly expensed "business dinners" were a whole 'nother story.

I quit buying shampoo and conditioners 3 years ago. No-poo for me 2 x a week. No more dry, itchy, flaky scalp and dry, brittle hair. Baking soda and water 1:3 and ACV 1:4 is way cheaper than commercially prepared hair products and achieves a better result. Several family members have also switched after seeing the results.
https://www.nopoomethod.com/

Also, reduced household cleaning supplies to a fewer number of non-toxic products which also cost less.

I find golf balls on the course when walking my dog in the mornings and run them through the ball washer. Most are good as new. Old one's and off brands I hit into the practice range. Can't remember the last time I purchased a golf ball. Am I frugal or what? ;)

No wonder I can never find my ball.

Great stuff. Our local food bank has an organized program to routinely pick up food close to the end of its shelf life from the local grocery stores for redistribution to where it is really needed. There is an astonishingly high level of food insecurity in the US.

Close to a third of food produced never makes it to the fork in developed countries. The energy waste from food loss (including production, transportation, and methane from spoilage) is massive and a leading contributor to atmospheric CO2.

Yeah, avoiding food waste is far from silly frugality.

Now always coasting my car down the hill we live on might cross the line into silly territory. Along with hanging on to bent paper clips and used nuts and bolts and wood scraps. And I counted four patches on the bicycle tube I finally tossed today.

In January I return my Christmas tree for refund since it is dead. (No, I do not do that.)

So is four patches the new rule?

A complex calculation keeping the ratio of laziness over cheapness high enough. Or maybe the ratio of original rubber to patch - hey, those patches cost money too.

So you still go to the drive in? Do you sneak people in by putting them in the trunk? :LOL:

If there was a drive in movie around here, I would take DW and go. That would be like a run back in time when, as a youth, GF and I would go and steam up the car windows.:LOL:

So you still go to the drive in? Do you sneak people in by putting them in the trunk? :LOL:

Where we went the theaters didn't charge per person. They actually got logical about it and charged per car since a car with one person in it took up the same space as one with six or more in it.

One place I remember was $1 per car. With five of us in the family that one got most of our movie-going business.

If there was a drive in movie around here, I would take DW and go. That would be like a run back in time when, as a youth, GF and I would go and steam up the car windows.:LOL:

I remember asking my parents why all the cars in the back row had steamed-up windows. They always changed the subject.:LOL:

Trying to combat frugality.

We have a 17.5 hr. flight tomorrow to Singapore. Just upgraded our seats to business class.

DW thinks I may have had a little too much of the grape!

My fear now is that she will think that this is a bottomless pit.

Back
Top Bottom