Skiing 2020-21

Heading out on our third ski trip of 20/21 in 10 days. We have the Ikon pass and have skied in Utah and Colorado this season and will be at our "local" mountain Mammoth for our next trip. We have done road trips for all of our skiing this year and have been to 3 Utah resorts and 3 Colorado resorts and have felt safe even though we are not yet vaccinated. Most everyone has followed the rules and worn their mask where we have skied. The hard part is not being able to warm up indoors when it is really cold. We take our own food and water in a backpack and just stop and eat on the slopes, but we've had some cold days skiing where we would have liked to spend 20 minutes inside to warm up.

DW and I went to Big Sky Montana to ski this year. We went for a week in early March. The weather was outstanding. The slopes were not crowded except for Thursday leading into spring break week.

Masks were required inside and when in lift lines. While ski'ing there was no one masked. The only lodges for food open were the ones at the bottom. The ones higher up were closed. I was confused by that because it would seem you would want to maximize space for social distancing.

We go somewhere every year. Not sure where we will go next year.

Amazingly enough, the local ski resort is still open. They had snow a few days ago and I was tempted to go yesterday, but got busy with other commitments. Plus, mentally I feel the ski season is over.

I ended up going 18 times this season and skied about 90k vertical feet. This is a record for number of trips, but not vertical feet. It's hard to rack up vertical feet when the runs are short.

Either way, it ended up being a good ski season. I am looking forward to next year and hope that the Canadian border is open. I miss skiing in Whistler. But if that doesn't happen, then I will look at Utah/Colorado.

And good news: Epic pass prices have been reduced 20% for the 2021-22 ski season. If all goes well next year, I might try and spend 2-3 weeks up in Whistler or somewhere where the runs are longer.

Seasons not over! We managed about 30 days riding the lifts this year and I did maybe another 30 skinning and backcountry.

Mostly we skied at our local mountain (Sugarbush) but also used our IKON pass for 3 or 4 days at Killington and in late February braved the masses and flew to Big Sky and skied Monday - Friday. It was strange but glad we went. Wore a double mask in both directions and quarantined and got tested upon return.

Got the VAX now so next week getting in the truck and heading to CO to ski at A-Basin and do some spring backcountry before heading down to the desert to ride my mountain bike. Camping for the most part.

Just passed my 3 year FIRE anniversary so couldn't be happier.

Next year Europe and Canada hopefully!

Seasons not over! We managed about 30 days riding the lifts this year and I did maybe another 30 skinning and backcountry.

Mostly we skied at our local mountain (Sugarbush) but also used our IKON pass for 3 or 4 days at Killington and in late February braved the masses and flew to Big Sky and skied Monday - Friday. It was strange but glad we went. Wore a double mask in both directions and quarantined and got tested upon return.

Got the VAX now so next week getting in the truck and heading to CO to ski at A-Basin and do some spring backcountry before heading down to the desert to ride my mountain bike. Camping for the most part.

Just passed my 3 year FIRE anniversary so couldn't be happier.

Next year Europe and Canada hopefully!

Sounds like a lot of fun. How long is your drive to A-basin?

April skiing can be good, but my experience is that the thaw/freeze cycle that happens a lot then makes for bad conditions. It's rock hard first thing in the morning, and by afternoon it's stick slush. You might have about a 2 hour window in between that's good skiing.

trip

Sounds like a lot of fun. How long is your drive to A-basin?

I do it in three days - a night at a buddies in the Rochester, NY area, a night at a Campground off of I80 in Iowa and then I arrive in Summit county where I have relatives. Max I will do is around 11 hours a day.

Since FIRE I have taken 4 trips across the US in my truck - prior to that it had been 30 years. Liberating.

April skiing can be good, but my experience is that the thaw/freeze cycle that happens a lot then makes for bad conditions. It's rock hard first thing in the morning, and by afternoon it's stick slush. You might have about a 2 hour window in between that's good skiing.

In my experience that's only true for Eastern skiing. Western conditions are much drier and better. I've skied in Colorado at A-Basin in early June and it was pretty good.

I do it in three days - a night at a buddies in the Rochester, NY area, a night at a Campground off of I80 in Iowa and then I arrive in Summit county where I have relatives. Max I will do is around 11 hours a day.

Since FIRE I have taken 4 trips across the US in my truck - prior to that it had been 30 years. Liberating.

That's pretty interesting. I have enjoyed some long car trips over past year.

Relatives in Summit County-nice.

Not sure how many times I went up the hill but it was about 3 days a week from December through March - maybe 35 ski days, all during the week?

Got a FULL pass for next season for $450, which includes week day passes at other hills around the NW and in CO - Loveland is one.

In my experience that's only true for Eastern skiing. Western conditions are much drier and better. I've skied in Colorado at A-Basin in early June and it was pretty good.
Vail in early April for me a few years ago was exactly as I described.

It was unreal here in the south...resorts that normally are deserted after the last weekend in February were jammed (including weekdays) until shutdown the last weekend of March.

I'll post some pics from summit county next week. Forecast looks like winter. :)

Husband wants to head north to Mammoth to ski not this weekend but the next one since they could get a foot of snow early next week. Sounds like a great way to finish out April and start May

Yep! This is exactly what I experienced at Snowmass last week. Still had a great time though. I'm usually a March skier. I think I will stick with March.

We bought our retirement home on the Western Slope last year. So, this was a good year for the EPIC Pass. Almost 500K vertical ft.

21 Total days on the Pass. (19 Vail, 1 BC, and 1 Breck)
also 1 day at Wolf Creek

The reservation system was a bit of a pain. Several days were booked solid, but maybe I didn't want to be fighting the crowds on those days.

But after 2019-20, it was good to be on the slopes again.

Back
Top Bottom