Snowbird in reverse?

After more than 40 years living in Phoenix, I have been telling newcomers when they ask me if one can get used to the heat "No, it's tougher every year". Maybe global warming is real.

That's why I got a 2nd home at 7,000' in the AZ high country. Nice, cool, and no mosquitoes, insects. And it's only a 2.5-hour drive between the homes.

I am not moving out of state, and will stay NW-Bound in name only.

Pine Top?

For some reason I thought you lived in the Pacific North West.
Because of my screen name...

He didn't get that far.
Yes, I did. Quite often, and so many times over the years that I lost count. However, I did not stay. :)

Thought about relocating up there when I first signed up on this forum, hence the chosen screen name. Even went up to look for some properties in the town of Port Ludlow. Finally decided to stay in AZ. My grown children would get mad at me if I left them here. Lots of AZ hardcores in the extended family.

Pine Top?

Yes, somewhere around there. :) I am actually in an unincorporated area, not in any township.

Last edited:
Even went up to look for some properties in the town of Port Ludlow. . :)

gorgeous area, beautiful golf courses

I still plan on keeping my rental house in PA. Sold one of the parcels in Agnew. Hopefully the other one will sell soon. I'd like to tear down the rental and build a nice summer place - PA is so nice in the summer.

We travel a lot, and see so many places one can live.

They are all compromises though. Even in places bragged to be paradise, people still go on vacation elsewhere, oui?

So, one cannot look forever, and must learn to be happy with a choice he has made.

They are all compromises though. Even in places bragged to be paradise, people still go on vacation elsewhere, oui?

people here tend to "flee" to McCall or CDA in the summer - it can get hot - nice now tho

We travel a lot, and see so many places one can live.

So, one cannot look forever, and must learn to be happy with a choice he has made.
I think people vacation away from home to take a break from their routine and other people, and not so much the location itself. Even in paradise you still have to put up with other people.

Even in paradise you still have to put up with other people.

Will that be true in the real paradise too, up in the sky?

Will I get to find out? Hmmm... There would be nowhere else to go, if one were still not happy. Going down to h***?

We look forward to our snowbird friends now just like we used to look forward to our cottage friends.

Will that be true in the real paradise too, up in the sky?

Will I get to find out? Hmmm... There would be nowhere else to go, if one were still not happy. Going down to h***?
Not according to George Bernard Shaw, as expressed through Don Juan. :)

We look forward to our snowbird friends now just like we used to look forward to our cottage friends.
For us, one of the biggest challenges of seasonal migrations is the difficulty building a network of friends. This also came up when I began traveling heavily for work.

40+ years of gulf coast weather fried my brain - I had to move

It's funny here, I actually find it more tolerable on the coast than central MS during the summer. The gulf breeze helps a lot. But when it lays down, it can be tough. Other than the summer months, I enjoy the climate here. But I wouldn't mind escaping the heat for a few weeks in the future.

....For us, one of the biggest challenges of seasonal migrations is the difficulty building a network of friends......

Same for us in Az. Had our condo for 14 years, spending a week there on occasion. We've spent 3-4 months there the past 2 winters and know hardly anyone in our complex. Met a few people in the workout room. Met a few people when we spent a few days in the driveway while we had our hardwood floors put in. Certainly not to the friends stage with anyone.

When we come back to Il, we pick back up with our Il friends as if we never left.

I have friends at my high-country home. Some are full-timers, others are weekenders. People are more relaxed up there.

I do not socialize with the neighbors at the main home, but visit with the neighbors up at the 2nd home more. Perhaps it's because we all feel that we need to look out after the properties for each other. Neighborhood Watch by default.

We have been lucky in that we have a pretty good network of friends at all our places. Canmore through skiing and my not-for-profit board and Arizona through people we met on bike trips to Europe. Americans are really friendly and it hasn't been difficult. Actually DW's best friend lives in Scottsdale and that has opened a whole new friend network. Being socially connected makes a seasonal place a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom