Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doing some winter travel to warmer climes. I like off the beaten path and I travel solo, so truly a lone eagle. And in these covid times I mainly drive.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #22

anothercog....we have spent 5 winters in Thailand. No, we do not speak or read Thai but this has never been an issue. We have not found it to be an issue in Malaysia, Cambodia, or Vietnam either.

We have been as far north as Chiang Mai. We prefer the south but tend to avoid Phuket and Ko Samui touristy areas. We like Ko Lanta, some of the less crowded islands like Ko Libong and Lo Ngai. We tend to head south from Krabi...Baan Krut area and south to Malaysia. We avoid resorts and tend to stay in smaller areas. Always a few days in Bangkok though. No matter how often we go we always see or do something that we have not experienced before.

We find it incredibly easy to get around once you understand the system. We have done air, rail, bus , ferry, van, etc. Air in SE Asia is incredibly inexpensive and frequent.

Thai people are wonderful, so welcoming. Our first visit was last minute. It was early Jan, lots of snow on the ground. We had not made any plans. Saw an advert for inexpensive air. Ten days later we were landing in Bangkok. Enjoyed our time so much we simply kept going back to the area. The only downside is the long flights and change of plane. We were in Mexico last winter, home this winter. We are very much hoping to get back to Thailand next winter.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am not a snowbird, but like to think of myself as a lone duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sooner than you think, you will become an old lone duck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Then it'll quickly go from 'duck & run' to 'duck & hobble'.

An old lone duck can get by in its old age by feeding off the bottom of the pond.

An old lone eagle is in big trouble when he can no longer soar.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #24

Our summer home is in northern Michigan, but we spend winters in west-central Florida. We are not really "flockers", but we do like a home-base that stays the same from year-to-year, which is one big reason we ended up buying a small house here. We are not in a retirement community, or anything like that..........our house is in a very small neighborhood (4 houses on our road), and we are some distance out of town. DW and I have made some good friends down here, and we now look forward to seeing those folks every winter (with COVID, we still see most of them this winter, but our meetings are less frequent, and outside). Another thing is that I like to fish, and it takes a while to find the really good fishing spots. Now that I have discovered some of those here, I enjoy coming back and fishing them again in the future. And there are many other things about this area we both like as well. It works for us, but I know some folks prefer more variety, and that's fine too.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Not a snowbird.
An artist, some 50 years ago made a painting, which she said represented me. She labeled it, ls99 "The Lone Eagle". Thus, an Eagle I am.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, we are "reverse" snow birds. (Pre Covid) we would return to the midwest to visit family and friends and LIVE in the old family homestead for 1 to 3 months in the summer. So we definitely "flocked" since we knew hundreds of folks in the area. Funny, but we have become more "popular" as guests or eat-out companions since we've moved "away." Folks know we're only available for a short time each year. I guess there are hidden advantages to every aspect of life - even moving away. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We discovered that our flock was too timid to travel south this year. So I guess we are Eagles ? Hotel California all the way...
Old 12-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #28

Lone. We've done several islands in caribbean (2018); several other islands in caribbean (2019); Argentina/Chile/Brazil (2020); and are scheduled for Puerto Rico next month to avoid hassles of multiple border crossings in this climate.

FWIW, so far, we've done no more than five weeks on each "January" trip....
Old 12-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I prefer the term unencumbered.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #30

Snowbirds: Are you a lone eagle or do you prefer to flock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Lone. We've done several islands in caribbean (2018); several other islands in caribbean (2019); Argentina/Chile/Brazil (2020); and are scheduled for Puerto Rico next month to avoid hassles of multiple border crossings in this climate.

FWIW, so far, we've done no more than five weeks on each "January" trip....

Sounds like we have similar tastes. FWIW, we spent a week on Vieques off PR and enjoyed it. Itís the kind of place where you might have to wait for a horse to move out of the way of your jeep in which the top hasnít worked for years on the way to one of several beaches youíll have to yourself. Take the boat over, not the rickety plane. Same for Culebra.

What were your favorite Caribbean islands, pray tell?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Sounds like we have similar tastes. FWIW, we spent a week on Vieques off PR and enjoyed it. Itís the kind of place where you might have to wait for a horse to move out of the way of your jeep in which the top hasnít worked for years on the way to one of several beaches youíll have to yourself. Take the boat over, not the rickety plane. Same for Culebra.

While 2017ish will hopefully respond soon also, I will say we enjoyed Viequez and Culebra on our Puerto Rico trips

We have liked all the Caribbean islands we have visited. Our favorite is probably St. John but most recently we visited Bonaire abs Curacao. Both very different and a lot of fun.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We discovered that our flock was too timid to travel south this year. So I guess we are Eagles ? Hotel California all the way...
You can check out, but you can never leave
Old 12-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:

Have to divide into diving/nondiving

Nondiving attractions, so far, Dominica is at the top of the list.

Diving is tougher. Once upon a time (early 90s), we had an excellent week of diving in the Los Roques archipelago of Venezuela. But, I don't know what it is like today, and am hesitant to find out.

Otherwise, the usual Caribbean suspects: Little Cayman for the walls; Cozumel for the gentle drift diving and the splendid toadfish at night (and decent above water activities, once you get out of the strip area); Tobago for the variety of fish species and fairly intact Speyside reefs; and St. Vincent for the macro opportunities....
Old 01-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #34

Ours would be Cuba or St. Lucia.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Have to divide into diving/nondiving

Nondiving attractions, so far, Dominica is at the top of the list.

Diving is tougher. Once upon a time (early 90s), we had an excellent week of diving in the Los Roques archipelago of Venezuela. But, I don't know what it is like today, and am hesitant to find out.

Otherwise, the usual Caribbean suspects: Little Cayman for the walls; Cozumel for the gentle drift diving and the splendid toadfish at night (and decent above water activities, once you get out of the strip area); Tobago for the variety of fish species and fairly intact Speyside reefs; and St. Vincent for the macro opportunities....

I hadnít thought of Dominica but just googled it. Is it slower-paced? I think Iím done with the more traffic-hammered islands.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
DW and I supposed to be traveling the world right now to celebrate the first year of FIRE. Since that ainít happening, we at least bailed on a Minnesota winter and have migrated down (with our two cats!) to Savannah for the winter. We are renting in the gorgeous historic district, where entertainment is as easy as going for a walk to gawk at endless 200+ year old homes, 22 squares, the beach nearby or various colonial historic sites. We get takeout from some delicious restaurant or other when the mood strikes. It can be chilly but weíve also had sunny days in the high 60s. We feel our decision is working out great.

Yet, I donít really feel like a tourist here either, since I grew up in this area and my mother lives here. DW and I are committed snowbirds now and are already talking about future years. We might explore a different state or country each year or settle into this spot for a while and maybe get to know some folks. My parentsí continued good health might be a determinant.

I am curious what others do? We are mid 50s and I suspect we will tilt toward exploring a variety of locales for a while. We have no interest in purchasing more real estate but many people we know from Minnesota aim every year for the southwest coast of Florida, mostly to second homes there. Heck, so many Minnesotans go to Naples every year that it sounds practically like a suburb of Minneapolis! They have lots of relationships in both places, which also seems appealing.
Markola....we are in similar paths. I am writing you tonight from Savannah. Moved from L.A. (after 22 years of work) to SAV. Like you I grew up in Georgia and married a lady (34 years ago) from SAV. We moved here last year to tend to her parents. You are in town and we are on the Island. If I can help point you in any directions just PM and let me know. Ive been the lone wolf while DW is quite involved in the area. I have many opinions about SAV and have really enjoyed our surroundings. I prefer the spring and Fall! We are on the water so our life centers around rivers etc. But, I am in town several times a week. We just came back from a trip to Kiawia. Month before we hit Sea Island. All within a 2 hour drive. I can only imagine you're comparisons to Minn.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #37

Thanks. I hope you got my PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

This is our first year snow birding in SW Florida. So far we really like the weather and fishing. Activities are limited due to COVID and I think we would really enjoy a lot of them. We would be flockers in normal times.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

We enjoyed our solitude when we were working but realize that we like the occasional flocking (pre COVID). We are in our early 50s and retired 5 years ago. We normally travel south of the equator in the winters to get more sun, but like everyone else, enjoying what the US has to offer despite the shorter days.

We have a condo on Hutchinson Island Florida but normally rent it out for the winter so we are now cruising on our boat around Florida. We like the solitude (and safety) of anchoring out, but also miss the social aspects that come with cruising. We plan to meet up with fellow boaters who have been isolating as well, for a couple of weeks or so, then we will be ďflyingĒ solo again
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:18 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We fell into flocking. We had rented a condo in Naples a number of years ago and some friends who snowbird to Sarasota invited us to visit with them on our trip home. We liked the area and there were a number of people from the same area of Vermont who we know that were here, so we decided to rent in Sarasota for the following winter and later bought a condo here.

Fast forward a few years and there are 7 couples who live in the same area of Vermont who are now in the same neighborhood in Sarasota... we've lost a few men over the last couple years so we now are 4 couples and 3 widows. Most of us were/are golfers so we frequently golf together, occasional game nights, dinners out (pre-covid), shows, etc. We don't spend as much time together as it sounds but it is nice having a core network of friends that travel back and forth.
US News & World Report rated in 2020 #1 best place to retire - Sarasota FL. You picked a good place! We spent a weekend there. St Armands Circle is a nice place to drink and eat with a variety of options.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote