Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of the people I worked with live just blocks away from me or less then a half mile. A few text once in a while but never have any face to face with any of them unless we meet in crossing.
New life and new acquaintances now so different paths of life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #22

In my last role, I was the regional executive for Japan and Asia, and was on the global executive committee. Out of the 8 or 9 people that were on the exec committee while I was, two are deceased, one ascended to the CEO role a couple years after I left, and one more is still with the company. All the rest have moved on. Some of those have retired early like me. Others are FI but chose to work in smaller roles to reduce their stress levels. Of my local execs in Japan, all have moved on. I have helped several of them get new jobs after they’d left the company. I speak or text with several of them a couple times a year. But chances are pretty good that Ill never see any of them again. The EC was Europe based, and my day to day Japan and Asia team were mostly in Japan with a few scattered about Asia and AU/NZ. Its just too far to go visit them for lunch.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I have small circle of maybe 6-10 friends that we met through work (DW and I both worked at the same megacorp) and we make an effort to see them often. Wonderful people, we a lot in common and enjoy each other's company immensely. 4 in particular are probably our best friends on the planet. 2 still work there, but respect limiting work talk and no complaining.
I've been retired almost 5 years now and still see a small group of former work colleagues on a regular basis. Some are retired and some still work. When we get together work talk is limited to who has retired, moved, divorced, etc. Actual talk about work is almost non-existent.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #24

Nearly all of the people I worked with over the course of my 30 years working with the same company were kicked out the door like I was at some point. Older, high-cost employees in a business-hostile state (California).

A few planned well and have very comfortable retirements. Some planned well but ended up divorcing, with assets split up. Others lived paycheck to paycheck, and most of them lived off of their modest pensions until SS kicked in.

We were roughly in the same salary ranges, a few a bit higher during periods of time when they were managers. But the net result in retirement is all over the map.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I still drop by work frequently because I work(ed). in a grocery store and shop there. I just retired this year on September 1st. In doing so, I left one toe in the door as in I told them I would work one day a month until i work out my decision on my 401k. The managers make way more than I do, but to my knowledge invest almost nothing. The others who work there don't invest much either or don't make a whole lot to do so. When I drop in, I'm constantly reminded of what I don't miss and am eternally grateful for having started my investment journey 25 years ago. No one at work ever asks me how I did it or for advice. At first, I was surprised by that but after reading Robert Kyosaki, he said that he had rich, middle and poor friends and the ones struggling never asked him about investing. Pretty much only the wealthy ones discussed it. The last time I read on it, 78% of people are living paycheck to paycheck. I do feel bad to some extent that people don't do better investing-wise, but I can't help anyone who doesn't want any help. And I have tried to help a few friends or coworkers but they are not interested.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even though I don't hear from the folks at mega-corp anymore, I'll admit I often think about some of them and how the economy and pandemic may have affected them... I do keep up with what's going on with my old company through public announcements and the retirees website. I keep reading about staff reductions, benefit cutbacks, industry troubles, etc.... Not a lot of good news.

In addition, I suspect a lot of them have lost ~50% of the value in their 401k's over the past few years because of the investing "mindset" and culture there... I won't go into that here.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We've kept in touch with a few of our old colleagues. Some turned into real friends over time, & others not so much. Sometimes, all you really had in common was work. I get together with 4 former colleagues fairly frequently (well I did until covid- now we call). DH & I keep in touch with one couple and a male friend with whom he did business when he had his insurance agency.

I'm motivated to keep a larger friend group- of all ages as I don't want to outlive ALL of my friends as my DGM did. My DM's friends are dropping like flies these days. It really weighs on her, as she is still a social butterfly. I don't want to have that happen to me. I'm no butterfly- quite introverted really, but I do need human interaction regularly. DGM & DGGM both lived to 101, & my Mom is now 84 and not slowing down. She drives to Houston from KY every year before TG to be a snowbird, staying in her winter quarters.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Most of my current friends are old work friends, but very few are still working. I retired 14 years ago, and one couple (same age as me) had retired a couple of years earlier. I also have a few older friends that retired about the same time. A couple of my age peers retired at a more normal age 60 or so. I talk to these people regularly, play guitar with a couple, camp with a different bunch, and get together with another one whenever possible. Work was a good place to make friends. I've only got a few good friends that I met outside the work environment.

Interesting that so many of you didn't make real long term friends on the job. Of course, I stayed in the same company (basically) for over 20 years. But we did a lot of extracurricular activities at the workplace. Annual crab, beer and dancing parties, softball and soccer leagues, and actual Christmas parties in the early days. It all faded over time, but there was time to build some decent relationships before it all went too corporate.

We may have all come from the same company, but we seldom waste any time talking about the old job. Ancient and unimportant history.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Most of my current friends are old work friends, but very few are still working. I retired 14 years ago, and one couple (same age as me) had retired a couple of years earlier. I also have a few older friends that retired about the same time. A couple of my age peers retired at a more normal age 60 or so. I talk to these people regularly, play guitar with a couple, camp with a different bunch, and get together with another one whenever possible. Work was a good place to make friends. I've only got a few good friends that I met outside the work environment.

Interesting that so many of you didn't make real long term friends on the job. Of course, I stayed in the same company (basically) for over 20 years. But we did a lot of extracurricular activities at the workplace. Annual crab, beer and dancing parties, softball and soccer leagues, and actual Christmas parties in the early days. It all faded over time, but there was time to build some decent relationships before it all went too corporate.

We may have all come from the same company, but we seldom waste any time talking about the old job. Ancient and unimportant history.
I was at the same place for 34 years from age 19 until retirement so I made a lot of long term friends that were also friends outside of work. We played on the same sports teams, went to each other's weddings, saw kids being raised, etc. I'm still in a band with the spouse of someone I sat beside my first few weeks on the job almost 40 years ago.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If I die next week, they were right to blow it all while alive.
I think they were right to blow it all whether you die next week or not, if you are dead it won't matter to you either way.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, I got to know hundreds of people through my w*rk over 36 years. I'd say 2 of them became "lasting" (as in I still communicate with them regularly after ER 15 years) friends. The others, for the most part, I would enjoy running into them and sharing coffee (not too likely here in Paradise, but you never know.) Same with 500 classmates from HS (20% now gone) I had two close friends from HS and I married one of them The other passed a year ago. Most of my close friends were made through church so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Same here. I retired in 2013, DW in 2008. We worked for the same employer. We both still consider some former co-workers among our closest friends. We got together off the job for many years and continued to do so after retirement, although Covid-19 has put a crimp into that.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Same with 500 classmates from HS (20% now gone) I had two close friends from HS and I married one of them The other passed a year ago. Most of my close friends were made through church so YMMV.
We moved a lot in my school years. I went to 5 high schools. Not a recipe for lasting friendships. I am FB friends with one or two. Same with a few old church camp friends. Had some good friends from college, but after marriage that all went away. So nobody lasted from the early days. If it wasn't for my work relationships I'd be a hermit. (No offense, Hermit).

And I have made a real life friend from ER.org. Hopefully we'll be able to get back together at FloydFest post-Covid.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #34

i met three of my closest, best friends at work...one was there when i started in 1978, the other a few years later. two are retired, one hasn't wised up yet. we talk, text or email almost daily. we're going out to b'fast with the working stiff and his wife on saturday.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The pandemic of 2020 affected my two previous employers. One big manufacturing plant closed and an old friend I know was suddenly unemployed after almost 17 years. The other place I worked for let over half the people go for good. That job entailed retail support. My current job was in a grocery store, so we were not affected and I just retired this year. 2007-2009 reminded me that living simply is best. Big lay offs from 2001 to 2003 taught me a lesson, too.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote