Join Early Retirement Today

What to do in retirement
Old 07-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

What to do in retirement

We've met a lot of retired folks who say "how did I ever find the time to go to work?". Others are probably wondering what they are going to do all day.

We know someone who was a high level executive who lost his job due to a re-org and found himself "retired". He thought about finding another position (he had been defined by his job), but decided to just consult with others in his industry and help out a few start ups. After a few months of doing this, for free, he decided that a real job would be too stressful and he was enjoying retirement more than he thought (more golf, cooking, etc.). He continues to consult on projects that interest him, but never for a fee. "If they pay me, they will start imposing deadlines, and expect email responses 24/7."

So, whether you know what you want to retire to, not from, or will figure it out in the next few months, there are lots of good resources to help you find your next passion.

BTW - we sold our house and most of our belongings and have been living and travelling in a motorhome since May 2016.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You should NOT let anyone “talk you into it,” especially a bunch of strangers online. Giving up a well paying job is a big life milestone and usually irreversible. IMO you should NOT retire until you’re comfortably FI (evidently check) and you really can’t bear your career anymore (only you can draw that line).

Aside from not reaching $ FI, not knowing “what you will do all day” in retirement can be a serious issue. Yes, some people naturally transition into an active, fulfilling life after work without a plan, but not everyone. The more wrapped up in your work (nothing wrong with that BTW), the less certain you can be. Some unprepared retirees fall into (some degree of) boredom and depression without the structure and/or social aspects of work.

“What will I do all day” was the final hurdle before I retired. In his book, How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free, author Ernie Zelinski talks about creating a "Get-a-Life Tree” - example below, not mine. For me, completing that exercise was very helpful - an epiphany. The idea is simply to brainstorm about all the things you used to like to do, currently like to do, or think you would like to do, plus fitness activities you enjoy. He challenges us to keep going until we’ve identified 50 activities. It only took me about 10 minutes to identify about 40 activities with a few follow up adds over the next few days to surpass 50. Made me realize how many other things I’d enjoy doing, and I retired a few months later. And I haven’t had to refer to it after all, but it satisfied my concerns about retirement life.

It only takes a few minutes of your 700,000 +/- hour life so I highly recommend it for anyone who has any doubts about what they will do all day...

Amazing post. Thanks for sharing you thoughts and book recommendation. I have made the list and am starting to really think this through in detail now. Much appreciated.
dmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I left the field seven years ago when I "retired" a year ahead of my poorly planned escape. I'd spent 14 hours on a call helping fix a client's DB on a rare work from home day. My office was open to the rest of the house and DW got to hear the nonsense. Especially when my VP decided, without any information, this was a hardware problem and why hadn't I called in the vendor?

That night I saw in my wife's eyes I never wanted to. I knew my job was full of things some technical some emotional but it was becoming more insane and it was hurting her! I saw fear and anxiety in her eyes and I knew I could change that. Working for a paycheck was optional. I gave my notice a few weeks later.

We didn't have the assets you do. It is a personal choice, perhaps only second to when is the best time to start SS.

I wish you the best and to find where you stop the merry-go-round. It stops irregardless if you give permission or not.

ETA: I said poorly planned because it was. I wish I had the advice @Midpack gave you. For me it was a process not an event. There's a number of great things that can happen post retirement. Me I lost 70 pounds and a bunch of prescription medications. My BP is normal now, I sleep the best I ever have. DW is down 50 pounds we walk daily and before Covid-19 were at the gym 3-4x weekly.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

OP -
may be a good idea to asking yourself - what is the purpose of living? what is your life goal? why are you in this universe?
If your answer is "work", then you just answer your own question; if it is not, its a good time to digging deep.
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote