Ten weeks in, what next?

I relish no longer having to act, communicate or frame my thoughts in a certain way which was not natural to me, but which I adopted and maintained for decades as a means to an end.

In retirement, you can be who you want to be, not who you needed to be in order to make a living.

I relish my leisure time, especially those naps after lunch.

My volunteer work is hiking trail maintenance so it is done when and where I choose. Having grown up on the Great Plains where trees only grew near intermittent streams, I now use a crosscut saw to cut dead trees that have fallen onto the trail in heavily wooded wilderness areas, where chain saws are not allowed. With my background, that is something I could not have imagined.

Best wishes to those who are headed towards finding what they like to do in retirement. I hope you find something that is beyond your imagination.

Ten weeks in myself. Financially don't need to work, but for some reason thought I should. Started my own consulting company but it is slow going.
Decided for the time being that physical fitness would be my real job. Always wanted to row crew, took it up last month. Fantastic workout to start the day, dropped a few pounds already. This morning I was floating on the lake in my shell feeling the sun and water and being glad I didn't waste this day by being in an office somewhere.
Not sure if I will go back to work or not. Not easy for me as I have worked every year since I was 15, as I'm sure have most of you.
Now thinking my next job may be to pick up my PhD, I have a strong interest in research in a particular area.

Still am not used to the feeling that I should be on the office treadmill for some purpose, like I am not being productive. I feel odd hitting the grocery store in the middle of the day and the new identity aspect is still not resolved. It is a new world out there.

Still am not used to the feeling that I should be on the office treadmill for some purpose, like I am not being productive.

Perhaps they have medications to cure that?:LOL:

I got over it but admittedly it took a while.

We are in our 4th year of retirement and are still working out our travel bug while we still have our health and our desire to do so. I expected to need more than this when I ER'ed and volunteered 2 days a week during tax season but I even found that too onerous so haven't repeated it after the first year. (not that I am ruling out doing volunteer work in the future).

Retirement means different things to different people and it is not unusual to take time to find out what suits best, and the beauty of it is that what works today to bring fulfillment may not be the same thing you need tomorrow, but trying out different scenarios can be very enjoyable.

This is so very cool, discussing this stuff. My biggest fear is definitely the idle hours stretching out in front of me with nothing to fill them with. I love being by myself, and now I'm going to be with my beloved, all day, every day...

Then it sounds like your challenge is figuring out how to get plenty of "alone time" after retirement! I was a little concerned about that too, but luckily my beloved also needs and enjoys his own alone time. So, it was easy for us to work that out by establishing a routine that works for both of us and allows each of us plenty of alone time.

After almost 4 years of retirement, I am enjoying it so much. There really isn't time to complete everything I want to get done. I still have the same household chores as before, and the laundry and grocery shopping still need to be done regularly as always. To that, I have added a rigorous (to me) gym schedule because after an overly sedentary life, I think it is crucial for me to work on improving my physical capabilities as I age. In addition to chores and the gym I have enough time to engage in my favorite solitary activities daily, and also I spend time with my beloved each day.

I think that the reason I have adjusted so well to retirement, is that I am fundamentally extremely curious. I suppose many INTJ's share this curiousity with me. There are so many topics and ideas that I want to explore during my life, and dealing with the petty day-to-day requirements of a j*b would just get in the way of doing that. Also I am not the type of person to just sit and stare at a wall if not entertained, and really, I doubt that you are, either. At any rate, life is my bowl of cherries and I plan to get the most possible out of it and hope you do too.

As you probably gather, my preference and intent is to never work again. YMMV and that is just fine! Wouldn't life be boring if we were all identical clones of one another.

We are in our 4th year of retirement and are still working out our travel bug while we still have our health and our desire to do so. I expected to need more than this when I ER'ed and volunteered 2 days a week during tax season but I even found that too onerous so haven't repeated it after the first year. (not that I am ruling out doing volunteer work in the future).
Like you, I thought I would need more in retirement than I do. I halfway expected to volunteer, but so far I just don't have the time for it.

Retirement means different things to different people and it is not unusual to take time to find out what suits best, and the beauty of it is that what works today to bring fulfillment may not be the same thing you need tomorrow, but trying out different scenarios can be very enjoyable.

Well said!

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your responses.
The next step is to find something that offers exposure to youthful energy. I am not sure what this should be, but only ten weeks in...I have time.

PTO, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Docent at the Arizona Museum of Natural History for the Gold Panning/Dino Dig exhibit (Gold Panning/Dino Dig Pit - Arizona Museum of Natural History - Mesa - Arizona - myVolunteerPage.com)

Volunteer coach for youth sports.

volunteer for the Arizona parks Arizona State Parks: Volunteer Programs

Now please throw me a bone, what OMY again?

Last edited:
PTO, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Docent at the Arizona Museum of Natural History for the Gold Panning/Dino Dig exhibit (Gold Panning/Dino Dig Pit - Arizona Museum of Natural History - Mesa - Arizona - myVolunteerPage.com)

Volunteer coach for youth sports.

volunteer for the Arizona parks Arizona State Parks: Volunteer Programs

Now please throw me a bone, what OMY again?

Very good ideas, thanks. I will look into these as soon as my schedule as a literacy volunteer becomes stable. The museum is a very interesting.

OMY One-more-year. An affliction where the afflicted postpones a big decision like retirement one year at a time. Why does this form of procrastination choose a year increment? Scientists have not uncovered that yet.

Only 18 weeks into ER. Mornings are great, but the afternoons are starting to test my mental state. I get up around 5am to start my day and enjoy my coffee, news and checking-in different forums online. However after lunch time I have to admit I'm starting to get a little bored. ....

Uh....after lunch is nap time, bud ;)

That, plus stop getting up at 5 am - you're retired and can sleep in (you have earned the privilege). Besides, if you keep getting up at 5am you'll make us other ERs look like a bunch of slackers. :D

That, plus stop getting up at 5 am - you're retired and can sleep in (you have earned the privilege). Besides, if you keep getting up at 5am you'll make us other ERs look like a bunch of slackers. :D

5:00 AM? Heavens no I am not going to sleep in that late. Maybe in the winter. But then again, Arizona does not practice DST.

I'm about 6 weeks in to ER. I've found that pulling the plug at MegaTechCorp was a lot like getting out of a bad relationship - you need to get completely away from it for a while and let go, then make some adjustments and settle into a new life where the relationship feels like a thing of the past. I feel that transition occurring - I'm finally getting used to not dreading Sunday nights any more, and it's sinking in that the w*rk stuff that used to matter doesn't matter anymore, and I'm not just on vacation.

I've rarely been bored or felt unfulfilled since I pulled the plug, whereas both of those feelings were very prevalent when I was w*rking. The days go by quickly, and I've had plenty of things to do, even though I haven't settled into a routine - just doing whatever I feel like doing.

Great info! it has been 5 weeks for me,since my ER. I was so structured in my megajob...and I find i am still in my ER (it sounds like you are too..with your list!). I definitely need a calendar MORE these days,as every day is different..with a preplanned event. I am still 'scared' of nothing concrete and planned to do,on a weekday...so there is always at least one planned event. This is either a gym class,or a coffee get together...or a hiking group...etc etc. some of these 'events' are via Meetups...which i love. I am waiting for all of this to start to seem 'normal'...as it still feels like I am 'waiting' for something. I need to learn to just 'relax'. I do wish I shared your 'no more worries about money', as I am still watching mine very carefully. As you see, I still need to 'Control'.

I'm about 6 weeks in to ER. I've found that pulling the plug at MegaTechCorp was a lot like getting out of a bad relationship - you need to get completely away from it for a while and let go, then make some adjustments and settle into a new life where the relationship feels like a thing of the past. I feel that transition occurring - I'm finally getting used to not dreading Sunday nights any more, and it's sinking in that the w*rk stuff that used to matter doesn't matter anymore, and I'm not just on vacation.

I've rarely been bored or felt unfulfilled since I pulled the plug, whereas both of those feelings were very prevalent when I was w*rking. The days go by quickly, and I've had plenty of things to do, even though I haven't settled into a routine - just doing whatever I feel like doing.

The 'bad relationship' metaphor is striking. I cried often on the final day. I had not broken a relationship off like that in over 30 years. Your words ring true.

Sundays are very different...as are Fridays.

I predict that you will soon fall into some sort of routine. It may be a few items per week or a full (or semi-full) schedule.

I do find the need to overcommit my time but I am resisting.

Great info! it has been 5 weeks for me,since my ER. I was so structured in my megajob...and I find i am still in my ER (it sounds like you are too..with your list!). I definitely need a calendar MORE these days,as every day is different..with a preplanned event. I am still 'scared' of nothing concrete and planned to do,on a weekday...so there is always at least one planned event. This is either a gym class,or a coffee get together...or a hiking group...etc etc. some of these 'events' are via Meetups...which i love. I am waiting for all of this to start to seem 'normal'...as it still feels like I am 'waiting' for something. I need to learn to just 'relax'. I do wish I shared your 'no more worries about money', as I am still watching mine very carefully. As you see, I still need to 'Control'.

I try to make scheduled activities all about new relationships ( ..and fostering a few older ones but that seems to be a given) Then its off to new relationships. How are you going to to replace those valuable office relationships?

The money thing is a state of mind thing. I convinced myself that either I had enough or I had to go back to work. Decide and go. We decided that we have 'enough'. We monitor but try not to worry. We have a written plan to help us if worry becomes an issue.

I have friend who retired at 56 and intends on reentering at 61. Crazy talk as far as I am concerned. If you take 5 years off your work ethic it too 'new and improved'. Retire...if you need gifts for the grandkids then work st Walmart over Christmas!

Congrats to you 2RE!

I'm not far behind at 8 weeks RE'd. Still plenty on the todo list but they are all minor things. Still, a minor thing has become an all day, or 2, project, so they should last another month or 2. After that I have old hobbies I can see if I still enjoy, with the coming of winter I'll be house bound for a good while so I'll need something to do. The DW still works part time so escaping to warmer climes is not an option at this point, but is in the planning stage.

I have thought about looking for PT work as xmas help, this would fill a couple months of cold time as well as seeing what it's like working with customers.
I like the volunteering idea and will look into that as well.

I do still fret a bit over $, unfortunately only history will tell. The best laid plans etc etc...

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread, & to those of you sharing your routines, ideas & thoughts. I retire 010314 and reading your responses has eased some of my jitters!

Cheers, Cassie

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread, & to those of you sharing your routines, ideas & thoughts. I retire 010314 and reading your responses has eased some of my jitters!

Cheers, Cassie

From the OP: The subject of the post was "Ten weeks in". It was a point of time post. I may have forgotten to mention a few stumbles along the way. I will admit a (mild?) obsession with a first person shooter. I may have also neglected to articulate any minor bump in the marital bliss area. Finally, it is possible that I overlooked mentioning a nagging need to overbook my newfound resource: free time.

By ten weeks I had my head screwed on straight. Looking back now it was still slightly crooked...but that is for another thread.

Back
Top Bottom