Terrible Golfer After 16 Years - Should I give up

I had frozen shoulder from a ski fall a number of years ago. I do not recall that it inhibited my golf swing but I play a lot less golf back then.

I had a frozen margarita. Didn't help my game, but improved my outlook!

I suck at golf, so take this with a grain of salt and a lime, but I can drive with a half swing better than a full swing. Aside from being stiffer than a wedding ----, my mechanics go straight to hell on a full swing. Also, keeping my right elbow tucked in mostly cured my tendency to slice.

We play an interesting course a few months ago where every 4 or 5 holes you were back to the clubhouse... they designed it that way intentionally so they did not need to put restrooms out on the course but I can see where it could also be used by folks who only want to play 13 or 14 holes. For me, 9 holes is not enough but often 18 is too many.

Another benefit of a course like this is that it "drinks well".:dance: No need for the beverage cart.

Interesting subject to me. I started golf about 8 years ago at 49. I was a pretty good tennis player, but am a mediocre golfer (17 handicap).

Don't be too hard on yourself!
What Percentage of Golfers Shoot Under 100? - GolfBlogger | GolfBlogger

Last spring I had a frozen left shoulder and could not swing a club and needed numerous painful visits to a PT to fix it. But worth every penny and grimace so that I can play this silly game.

I have improved this year by slowing my backswing, truly rotating vs swaying and enjoying the good shots and not worrying about the many crappy ones. If things go south I simply quit keeping score and tend to enjoy the time more.

I just re-read your original post. If you have a frozen lead shoulder, you might want to try the Jimmy Ballard swing

In this video, at about :57 he talks about using "half a left arm" or in your case half a right (lead) arm. This is the way I swing and it's a time proven method. Sounds like it would be perfect for you. If you go to Ballard's website and ask, they'll give you the name of the nearest Ballard instructor.

Oops, I just screwed that up. You have a bad trail shoulder. Still, Ballard is a great way to play, and you don't need to get the trail shoulder too high.

I had a frozen margarita. Didn't help my game, but improved my outlook!

I suck at golf, so take this with a grain of salt and a lime, but I can drive with a half swing better than a full swing. Aside from being stiffer than a wedding ----, my mechanics go straight to hell on a full swing. Also, keeping my right elbow tucked in mostly cured my tendency to slice.

I don't doubt it a bit. You're likely hitting the sweet spot with a shorter swing but, not with the full swing.

Plus, the agave 'swing oil' probably doesn't hurt either. :tongue:

Just a few other thoughts, get with a good teacher and stick with them. The best money I have spent on this silly game has been for lessons or what I call brush up lessons every couple of years. I use to shoot pretty consistently in the 80s, if it got any warmer or cooler than that I wouldn't play.

Seriously though, go out and have fun, don't fall prey to analysis paralysis. If I shoot a round in the triple digits, I'm just as happy as shooting a round in the low 80s, and I lie a lot too. The main thing is to have fun, enjoy the outdoors and social interaction with those you play with. I play with a group of about 12 guys who range from single digit handicaps to those who soot in the triple digits, we all have fun, which is the object to this goofy game. Someday we will all transition into the next dimension and hopefully there will be no sand, water, slices or downhill putts, only mulligans, margaritas and hookers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Never ever played golf. Or had the inclination to try.

FWIW I learned to figure skate at age 62.

I got fairly good without ever taking any lessons, much to the amazement of several instructors who watched my shenanigans and first year of spending more time falling down than moving froward. Now six years later I just enjoy doing what I know. Do know many moves I will never get well, yet enjoy the mind and physical games of trying to get them.

The true pleasure is in the doing, however limited compared to many.

There is a 82 year old who skates frequently on hockey skates. His motto is: whenever he feels the urge to try some of the stuff I do, he says it is time to get off the ice, he does not want to fall and break parts.

Never ever played golf. Or had the inclination to try.

...The true pleasure is in the doing, however limited compared to many....

Exactly. I think that is why I enjoy the practicing so much.

I do not golf well. Usually shoot over 100. I'm getting better over the past few years but mostly I just do it to get out and hang with a few of my friends. None of them seem to mind my lack of game as long as I keep moving. So I always have a ball in my pocket and never spend much time looking for a ball.

I will give you one piece of advice that I think contributed to me moving from consistently over 120 to usually closer to 100.

Keep your eye on the ball. I can't stress than enough. We all think we're watching the ball, but I mean really keep your eye on the ball. Watch the club hit the ball. Again, most of the time, I still think I'm watching the ball, but when I really focus on watching the ball and keep my head still until I see the club hit the ball, my game changes significantly. I'm sure there are a number of other things you could do, but keeping your eye on the ball is a critical fundamental that, when I focus on it, improves my game by 10 or more shots.

As to your original question, no, I would not give it up as long as you enjoy getting outside and the social aspects of it.

I'm in the same boat as you. My lowest index was a 2 but mostly played to a 5 to 7. Even though I loved golf and gave it my best for many years, I just didn't get better.

So I'll occasionally go play with friends, but it's certainly not a passion anymore. What's funny though is with zero practice, every now and then I'll shoot under par.

.....Keep your eye on the ball. I can't stress than enough. We all think we're watching the ball, but I mean really keep your eye on the ball. Watch the club hit the ball. Again, most of the time, I still think I'm watching the ball, but when I really focus on watching the ball and keep my head still until I see the club hit the ball, my game changes significantly. ...

+1 One thing I eventually figured out is that with the rhythm of my backswing, at the top of my backswing I was actually partially losing sight of the ball for the blink of an eye.... I slowed down my backswing and that allowed me to focus on keeping my eye on the ball and improved my consistency of shots and scores dramatically.

That said, there are some good blind golfers out there so I wonder how they do it.

Last edited:
Yes, keep your eye on the ball but just as important, keep your head still, as much as is possible. Slow back swing and keep my head still are two of my most important swing thoughts when I start to get a little wild.

Something is def off if you've been playing 16 years and still shoot a 140. How often do you play? If its once every 2 months then I may understand.

First thing is you need to stop going to the course and head to the range a couple times a week. Anyone that shoots around a 140 doesnt belong on a par 72 course. Even a small par 3 course is questionable. Go to the range and hit hundreds of balls each week until you can produce similar results on each shot...whether you slice it or hook it...doesnt matter. If you can do one or the other consistently you can start to tweak things. If you're just spraying the ball in every direction...forget it.

Some users here recommended you change your swing. I couldnt disagree more. No one understands what it takes to completely change your swing. Let me give you an example. When Tiger first changed his swing it took him almost 2 years to rebound and start winning consistently again. This is someone who hits thousands of balls a week and has access to the most high tech swing analyzers. He probably had to hit at a minimum 300,000 balls before he was comfortable with his swing change. Weekend warrior golfers will not do this. Any good teacher will take an amateur and work with what they already have...very minor tweaks. A complete swing overhaul...good luck.

I think you posted that you do play fast. Thats great to hear. Golf is almost unbearable anymore to play. I live in the DC area and unless you're one of the first groups out you're looking at a 5 hour round. This is on a public course. I pretty much only play when I head back to PA to visit family now. At least there you can get a round in under 4 hours but usually around 3.5 hours.

Im not pointing the finger at you but hackers are one of the major reasons why golf is so slow and imo have ruined the fun of the game. Most people struggle to break 100. Even if you are a "fast" player having to walk/drive from one side of the fairway to the other all day...along with hitting 40 yard ground balls...hoping back in cart, getting to ball, pulling different club, etc etc...brings the game to a crawl...no wonder people are leaving the game. Money is another factor though.

The only thing I would say is stay on the range...hit a lot of balls...if you do not become more consistent after a month I think its time to give up the game.

I'm in the same boat as you. My lowest index was a 2 but mostly played to a 5 to 7. Even though I loved golf and gave it my best for many years, I just didn't get better.

So I'll occasionally go play with friends, but it's certainly not a passion anymore. What's funny though is with zero practice, every now and then I'll shoot under par.

Same boat? The OP is at sea on the sinking Titanic while you're out sipping martinis on the Regent Seven Seas.

Some users here recommended you change your swing. I couldnt disagree more. No one understands what it takes to completely change your swing.

I changed mine - took about a year but well worth it

I changed mine - took about a year but well worth it

Sure...it can be worth it...but like I said...very people can devote enough time to make it worth their while...and very few people have the mindset to make the change.

My FIL is a certified instructor. He always talks about how he can get anyone to hit the ball well with a few minor tweaks on the range. After that its up to them if they want to keep practicing with the tweaks he presents. 99% of them go back to old habits. They get on the course, hit a few bad shots and go right back to what they're comfortable with whether or not they're hitting poor shots or not. Like the saying goes "old habits die hard."

Look at Spieth. Why isnt he winning? Butch has him so messed up because everyone convinced him he needed to get longer. He struggles off the tee now and he's not pin hunting like he used to. Hitting the ball far will do you no good unless you keep it in play.

Last edited:
Played 2-3 times a year for 20+ years and have never kept score. Don't plan on it going forward. I enjoy golf somewhat and my motto is "No expectations, no disappointments."

Pb: thanks for asking and all others thanks for your input.

After the round with led to the original post, I got back out there on, of all things, a 2 day golf vacation with DW and friends. I played more to my normal 110-120 with some better contact and better short game. I also played on my home course with a 59 on 9 which for me is not too bad.

I think the problem, as one suggested, is that I do not practice. With my frozen shoulder (due to arthritis - so not going to get better without a replacement which I will not do) I am hesitant to practice. But of course I could at least practice putting which would take at least 5 strokes off my "game". The other thing I could do is just practice more with say a 7 iron and see if I can groove a simple and easy same swing plane to up my chances of getting cleanly back to the ball. I plan to go to the Dome this winter and study using some of the Kirk Junge (Moe Norman) method. A few of my friends in my age group use that type of swing with great results.

Finally I love to drink beer on the course but it does make me even worse.

Pb: thanks for asking and all others thanks for your input.

After the round with led to the original post, I got back out there on, of all things, a 2 day golf vacation with DW and friends. I played more to my normal 110-120 with some better contact and better short game. I also played on my home course with a 59 on 9 which for me is not too bad.

I think the problem, as one suggested, is that I do not practice. With my frozen shoulder (due to arthritis - so not going to get better without a replacement which I will not do) I am hesitant to practice. But of course I could at least practice putting which would take at least 5 strokes off my "game". The other thing I could do is just practice more with say a 7 iron and see if I can groove a simple and easy same swing plane to up my chances of getting cleanly back to the ball. I plan to go to the Dome this winter and study using some of the Kirk Junge (Moe Norman) method. A few of my friends in my age group use that type of swing with great results.

Ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Do I enjoy playing golf?
2. Do the people I play with enjoy playing golf with me?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then don't worry about the score.

swing fluid is critical to my game, of course there is a serious diminishing marginal utility :eek:

but seriously, yes just practice chipping and putting. neither of those strokes require a full shoulder turn and have minimal arm movement

if you can get up and down, or up and up and down every time you miss a green you will break 100 fairly easily, sans penalty strokes

swing fluid is critical to my game, of course there is a serious diminishing marginal utility :eek:

but seriously, yes just practice chipping and putting. neither of those strokes require a full shoulder turn and have minimal arm movement

if you can get up and down, or up and up and down every time you miss a green you will break 100 fairly easily, sans penalty strokes

+1

Putting is likely 1/3 of your strokes, and short game (<100 yds) likely another 1/3. So, practicing those should easily get you below 100. And, when you get there, be sure to celebrate & then come back here and tell us about it. :D

I've been playing golf for over 30 years, though very infrequently until two years ago. I'm the worst player in my group. However, with regular play and practice I have begun to improve. Today I received the "most improved player" award for 2016. So don't give up!

played 9 hoes last evening after w*rk.. a few pars and a birdie

Back
Top Bottom