the 10 worst states to retire in, etc

donheff said:
You piqued my curiosity too. Can you expand on what would make you uncomfortable about these areas? There are a lot of places I wouldn't want to live and I can imagine neighborhoods I couldn't live in but I have always found some people I find copacetic pretty much everywhere I go -- and I am one of those awful secular humanist, east coast, liberals. Even among people who are almost polar opposites of me I find a lot to like (in most, not all) if I don't push religion and politics. :)

I agree with almost everything you wrote except I describe you as "one of those wonderful secular humanist, east coast liberals."

I've enjoyed lived in MA and MD which both vote Dem come election time, but they are very different in character and history.
I'm not sure Id enjoy living in the south or the West but I've had good times visiting colleagues in places like White Settlement Tx. We couldn't be more different politically or religiously, but we agreed the BBQ was good and who doesn't like beer?

Even among people who are almost polar opposites of me I find a lot to like (in most, not all) if I don't push religion and politics. :)

+3

I have lived for the past 7 years in a place where most people are the polar opposite of who I am and I still managed to meet wonderful people and be very happy here.

Let's all join hands now and sing "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore...", then perhaps "It's a beatiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine, could you be my neighbor?

What I am wondering, will all this inclusive tolerance extend to those who do not LBYM and save 25% of their wages?

+3

I have lived for the past 7 years in a place where most people are the polar opposite of who I am and I still managed to meet wonderful people and be very happy here.
Same for me. And here in my neighborhood, like here at ER forum, there's no need to label people or bring politics and religion into otherwise friendly conversation.

So Minnesota is a bad place to retire because of the taxes and the winters?

I guess I can understand that, although its a pretty simplistic view.

Strangely, this winter has been the warmest I've been through here (and with the least snow). It was 50 degrees yesterday in mid-January. They've been warning ice fisherman to stay off the lakes.

Go global warming!!

Attachments

• shhh.jpg
    shhh.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 192
A few year before retiring I made a study of most of the states to find the most suitable ones. I drew up a list of priorities and eventually narrowed it down to NV, AZ & NM (obviously climate was #1 on the list). Then we visited the 5 cities we were most interested in and the list was reduced to 2. Everyone has their own requirements and many magazines have a best & worst list. We didn't find any city that met all of our needs so we decided what was most important to us to lead a happy life.

You summed it up very well!!

How did Pennsylvania ever get on the list? Possibly because retiree pensions and SS are not taxed by PA? I would think that one of the most important critera researchers would look at is property taxes because it is a fixed expense one must pay to stay in their home. Newly built McMansions on acre lots in the most beautiful countryside one has ever seen, in the exurbs of Philly, and the property taxes on a $400,000 to $500,000 home are between $10,000 and $12,000 a year!! This is just one example of the outrageous taxes and charges local governments burden PA residents with. Even a local government employee at a small town municipal building told me recently, "Pennsylvania is the state of taxes".

PA is a strange state. Many residents have no idea how strange.
The east coast megopolis is completely different than the other side of the mountains. Once you get into the rural areas on the western side, property and property taxes are much cheaper. I could never afford the forested 11 acres that I live on now if it was on the Philly side of the mountains.
PA is very friendly to retirees. Pension, IRA, SS and unemployment are not taxed. For the lower income >65 the state lottery provides property tax rebate money.

This thread is about where you get your mail.

Let us distinguish between living someplace and visiting someplace.

The US is a great place to visit almost anywhere! My family traveled the country when I was growing up and those are my strongest memories; they are my gold. I would love to RV the US like Charles Kurault (less the bigamy :angel:). There is a Danish saying: People have legs, not roots.

The issue for me is, would I live in a place? I cannot get along with everybody and vis versa.

So Minnesota is a bad place to retire because of the taxes and the winters?

I guess I can understand that, although its a pretty simplistic view.
There are a lot of pluses also: plenty of lakes, biking trails, state parks, tennis courts (yea), shopping malls, museums, theaters, restaurants, etc.

Strangely, this winter has been the warmest I've been through here (and with the least snow). It was 50 degrees yesterday in mid-January. They've been warning ice fisherman to stay off the lakes.
Go global warming!!
Well, that was short lived. It's now in the teens with chilly wind. I am hoping for snow so that I can do some snow shoeing.

This thread is about where you get your mail.

Let us distinguish between living someplace and visiting someplace.

The US is a great place to visit almost anywhere! My family traveled the country when I was growing up and those are my strongest memories; they are my gold. I would love to RV the US like Charles Kurault (less the bigamy :angel:). There is a Danish saying: People have legs, not roots.

The issue for me is, would I live in a place? I cannot get along with everybody and vis versa.
Gypsy Ed, I suspect no matter where you go you will find people you don't along with and things you don't like. Perhaps some people are like nomads and just aren't the kind that settle down into one place forever. I like the RV option.

I'd argue that this is an equally valid list of the best states to retire in. Of course it's totally irrelevant on a case by case basis, much like the original list.

List of U.S. states by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, the ER solution is now clear to me. :facepalm: Live in Mississippi (where it's inexpensive) until I'm 72, then move to Hawaii so I live another 10 yrs, and have enough $$$ saved to live there. Thanks Nun!

Let's all join hands now and sing "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore...", then perhaps "It's a beatiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine, could you be my neighbor?

I was going to say "+4" but, instead I just put my Mr Rogers sweater on and started typing.

Wisconsin is one of the worst retiree states? Who would have thunk it? I guess that explains why DW and I are high-tailing out of here for the Carolinas as soon as we ER...........:)

Gypsy Ed, I suspect no matter where you go you will find people you don't along with and things you don't like. Perhaps some people are like nomads and just aren't the kind that settle down into one place forever. I like the RV option.
True enough, Mike.

Actually, I am a lot more flexible and tolerant than when I was a callow youth. Mark Twain said, "Travel is fatal to prejudice", and that is true for me. But there is always something, as Rosanna Rosannadana used to say.

They left Arkansas off the list of the Ten Best states. No doubt the people who already live there are very happy about that!

They didn't publish a list of the ten best states............

How could Illinois be #2 on the "worst states to retire in" list? I mean..... after all..... it is such a pretty color of blue. Doesn't that make it just.... well..... perfect?

There are some states I will always avoid. Arkansas is one. West Virginia is another. Also NJ and most of Mississippi. Uncertain about OK, but wary.

This is good news. One less person wants to make WV another overcrowded overtaxed megalopolis.:)

+3

I've moved 32 times in my life, been in 29 countries and 41 states; less than many but, a good sampling. My experience has been that how well I get along with the people in various places is more about me than them. I'm not saying I like them all or would consider retiring in all (or even most) of those places. But, the clear lesson to me over the years is that, at an individual level, we're all a lot more similar than different.

I have lived in 14 different states and visited another 33. The only states I haven't seen are Louisiana, Mississippi and Nebraska. Of all these places, I prefer my current home in Connecticut, where I plan to stay for the rest of my days.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

I enjoyed my years in Baton Rouge, Gumby. I visited Connecticut off and on many years ago. Not a bad place, but Louisiana is close to my heart.

I have lived in 14 different states and visited another 33.

OK, I'll chime in on this one.
I've spent time (anywhere from a few days to a few years) in all of the 50 states, and from a few weeks to a few years in eight other countries.

If you asked me where "the best place to retire" would be, I seriously doubt if I could narrow my list down to fewer than a "top 20".

But I can easily get a dose of any of my favorites by simply taking a vacation trip whenever I like. That's one of the absolute best things about ER, as I see it.

Back
Top Bottom