2022’s Best States to Retire- WalletHub

I can see ranking states based on discrete items like cost of living, tax burden, and a host of other things but an overall ranking is just clickbait. Everybody's priorities are different. My priorities have nothing to do with the ones chosen for that article.

Because everything is expensive?

As mentioned, not all folks look for LCOL Areas, in fact some are very sad and lack infrastructure and services. We would gladly pay more and do for a better quality of life. In fact COL is quite low on our retirement requirements, not completely as we are not gazillionaires, but QOL trumps cost.

As mentioned, not all folks look for LCOL Areas, in fact some are very sad and lack infrastructure and services. We would gladly pay more and do for a better quality of life. In fact COL is quite low on our retirement requirements, not completely as we are not gazillionaires, but QOL trumps cost.

QOL does trump cost...but only if you have the money. Not everyone does.

People with adequate funds can live anywhere.

Because for some people there's a lot more to life than the weather.

And the good news is that technology takes the sting out of winter. Heated seats and steering wheel, remote start, high tech clothing, you can get anything you want delivered, you can have someone clear your driveway, push a button on the wall to increase the inside temperature, etc...

True. Weather wouldn't even be a consideration for me (thus living in NJ all my life) :LOL:

True. Weather wouldn't even be a consideration for me (thus living in NJ all my life) :LOL:

We go away for a couple months in winter. So even though our climate is considered "poor" by many, we don't have to experience the worst of it. Therefore, the weather ranking on a "best place to live" list wouldn't be as much of a factor compared to staying there all year.

I like the weather on the Connecticut shoreline. It's usually not too hot in the summer, nor too cold in the winter. Yes, we get a little cold and snowy period in January-February, but if we didn't, we would have to deal with more bugs in the summer.

I would also caution against statewide data. Connecticut is the third smallest state, at only 50 by 100 miles in area. But the weather in Hartford, which is inland, is a lot different than at my house on the shore about 45 miles south-west. It is often 10 degrees hotter in Hartford in the summer and 10 degrees colder in the winter. Just think of the difference between Barstow and Eureka, California.

Last edited:
I like the weather on the Connecticut shoreline. It's usually not too hot in the summer, nor too cold in the winter. Yes, we get a little cold and snowy period in January-February, but if we didn't, we would have to deal with more bugs in the summer.

I don’t know how similar it is but a very long-term friend of mine lives in Glen Cove (Long Island). He loves it.

I don’t know how similar it is but a very long-term friend of mine lives in Glen Cove (Long Island). He loves it.

Glen Cove is on the other shore of Long Island Sound, about 30-35 miles south-west of me across the water. The weather is almost identical.

Last edited:
These clickbait list articles have had so many threads here it isn't even funny any more.

Since I'm extremely happy being retired in state #47, you would think I must be out of my mind.

But perhaps applying averages across entire states might not be the best way to evaluate your home? :cool:

We are pretty far down on the list too and I am OK with this. We have PLENTY of people and no need for more. :D

I agree these articles are very click-bait like. Almost every single state has very distinct differences in the areas that are "graded" in these articles. As an example...we have 3 hospitals (including a very good heart hospital) within 15-20 minutes of our house. *IF* we moved an hour SE of our location, there isn't a hospital within 30 minutes and that's a big difference. Even the weather is quite different in our state. Looking back, I never thought I would move where I am today but am thrilled to be here.

I once read a book by Charles Kuralt about where to live in different months of the year. No one place is the best to live in every month of the year.

I've never read a "Best of" list that I've agreed with. My priorities are just different than people living in different parts of the country. Many think their region is where they want to live--even if where they live is a hell hole.

I prefer to live outside a major city in a low cost of living place. I don't choose to live in a $600,000 cracker box house in Toronto with houses crammed so close that I know when my next door neighbor flushes the toilet. It's nice when yearly property taxes are extremely low, and where state governments don't get into personal freedoms. And I like to have other towns in close proximity where I can easily travel on weekends. I also don't like flat, dry climates without trees--preferring to live where they have mountains, rivers and forests. And I like to live where people are nice and cordial to each other. I once left a big city that was a traffic nightmare--and prefer where life is not so hectic.

We're not suffering.

I once read a book by Charles Kuralt about where to live in different months of the year. No one place is the best to live in every month of the year.

I've never read a "Best of" list that I've agreed with. My priorities are just different than people living in different parts of the country. Many think their region is where they want to live--even if where they live is a hell hole.

I prefer to live outside a major city in a low cost of living place. I don't choose to live in a $600,000 cracker box house in Toronto with houses crammed so close that I know when my next door neighbor flushes the toilet. It's nice when yearly property taxes are extremely low, and where state governments don't get into personal freedoms. And I like to have other towns in close proximity where I can easily travel on weekends. I also don't like flat, dry climates without trees--preferring to live where they have mountains, rivers and forests. And I like to live where people are nice and cordial to each other. I once left a big city that was a traffic nightmare--and prefer where life is not so hectic.

We're not suffering.

I spent a couple of month in Huntsville (2013'ish) and really enjoyed it there. Most everything you would want in a mid-sized city but without the headaches. Even though I was there for business, it was a great escape from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta which was a city I grew to hate.

No way is Texas 34th on that list. It is much, much lower! ;)

Currently Reside in MN, have lived in TX, MS, CA, HI. I've moved back to MN 4 times and agree with the list based on those state's rankings. It's rated #3 in QOL and #1 in healthcare. We are also consistently rated top of class for staying active, not sure if that has any correlation to health care workers wanting to work in/near an active popululous or if we are just fortunate again.

Sure we have a small state income tax, but I always consider that more a Quality of Life tax, and if people squander that, its more effective taxation than if people engage in the active lifestyle. Its worth paying to have something active to do vs just sitting around. With that said, I like to travel to the places that other people like to travel, and having a solid international airport within a stone's throw is probably considered in that QOL ranking...along with the cold weather pushing us below NH and MA. My ancestors 8 generations ago landed in the Boston area back in the early 1600s and I''m not surprised we never migrated further beyond MN...I guess we recognizer a good thing.

I was surprised to see WA way down the list. Really WA is a large state with great variability of climate.

WA has several things that hurt it badly IMHO:

It starts with the very high cost of housing, continues with increasing taxes (sales tax is 10% in my area and we now have an income tax on capital gains with talk of extending that to other income), and an out of control homeless problem.

Weather-wise: Cold, damp and dark four months out of the year is not an incentive to live here.

WA was a great place to live when I moved here over 30 years ago. Today, not so much.

We here in Texas hope so. Then all those people from other states will quit coming here.:D

REWahoo has a list of many reasons why it's better not to move here.
Yeah, I saw it. Still moved to Texas in late 2018 because our only kid relocated here in the Summer of 2016. Yes, we're the evil from out-of-state. We're surrounded by native Texans in our relatively new housing tract. They haven't shot us yet, so we must be doing something right. :LOL:

These lists are a WoT unless you can create custom cuts of data aligned to whatever your priorities might be…

I spent a couple of month in Huntsville (2013'ish) and really enjoyed it there. Most everything you would want in a mid-sized city but without the headaches. Even though I was there for business, it was a great escape from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta which was a city I grew to hate.

United Van Lines claims Huntsville's the #3 fastest growing city in the U.S. The FBI is moving another 2000+ employees here I assume because it's so much cheaper to live here. Mazda-Toyota's hiring 4,000 people for a new car plant. And 500 engineers are coming to town to work on the replacement for the Minuteman missile system. The U.S. Army Aviation (helicopters) is headquartered here, as is the U.S. Missile Command (nuclear missiles).

We have the Tennessee River on the south end of town and a string of magnificent lakes--best inland cruising lakes in the U.S. And we have mountains too.

Homes are priced very reasonable here--about half the cost of Nashville houses 90 minutes to the north. Property taxes are also ridiculously low.

Yeah, I saw it. Still moved to Texas in late 2018 because our only kid relocated here in the Summer of 2016. Yes, we're the evil from out-of-state. We're surrounded by native Texans in our relatively new housing tract. They haven't shot us yet, so we must be doing something right. :LOL:

Not too many native Texas in my neighborhood, but most implants that I know moved here decades ago. I got here as fast as I could though, 30 years ago.:D

Why is the quality of life rated so low in Hawaii? Residents, can you please explain this logic?

Because everything is expensive?

I can't comment on how the numbers were generated. Certainly, Hawaii is expensive in relation to the nation as a whole and certain states specifically. Having said that, as "coastal" areas are concerned (east and west - not so much southern) Hawaii is right in line in terms of being HCOL area.

Also, if one moves to Hawaii in hopes of finding a j*b, it can be a very lonely experience. Local business doesn't even hide the fact that they hire local for all but retail/minimum wage j*bs. Unless you can bring your own business, you will be on the outside looking in. BUT retiring to Hawaii is different. Yes, it's still expensive - especially housing - but taxes are lower for retirees as are RE taxes. Many folks also can take advantage of subsidized housing though there is always a waiting list.

The "low" quality of life must include quite a few factors which is why I like the almanac I mentioned above. It separates those issues that the current study lumps together, apparently. So, if you are a retiree, you're concerned with good health care, low crime, good public transportation and lower taxes but not so much j*b opportunity, cost of 4 br houses, multiple sports teams, etc.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the low rating, but who knows how it was generated and YMMV.

United Van Lines claims Huntsville's the #3 fastest growing city in the U.S.

The only problem I have with Huntsville is it is in BamaBama. :) There is a reason why Alabama is classified as a LCOL area for the most part. Not Huntsville though. I used to w*rk with Intergraph.

We would not want to live in any of these states, especially rurally, for the most part one would expect a lack of services, as a generalization that is. I am sure folks that live there love the LCOL.

https://www.fcnl.org/updates/2021-11/top-10-poorest-states-us

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom