The Art of Off Peaking

I find the best time to go to Costco is about a half hour before they close. Of course, I’m not shopping, I’m buying the things I need and getting out of there, so a a half hour is plenty. We also like this restaurant nearby that has lunch pricing until 3:00pm. We go around 2:30 and have what is for us an early dinner. Typically, we’re one of only a couple there at that time. Also like the early movies, but that’s only on occasion because there are not many movies out that we’re interested in.

Something does not compute... :LOL:
What doesn't compute? The pass is from the end of the summer camping season to the beginning of the next one.

Off-Season Senior Citizen Pass - $75

This pass offers free nightly camping or moorage from Oct. 1 to March 31, and Sunday through Thursday in April. There is a $10 per-night fee for utility sites. Passes are available for $75 for Washington state residents 62 years and older.

Washington State Resident is defined as a resident of Washington state for at least the past three consecutive months. Dual-state residency will not be considered.

Last edited:
On our lake the weekends are a zoo. Meanwhile during the week there's rarely another boat in sight. I really feel for the poor schmucks that paid a fortune and work their tails off to make their mortgage payment. Then they race around in their boats for a couple hours on the weekend.
My entire life is off peak at this point. Spend less and avoid crowds. The joys of ER.

I find the best time to go to Costco is about a half hour before they close.

I'll have to try that sometime.
My preferred time is when they open. Around here, they let people in at least ten minutes before opening time, although the registers don't open until 10 am. I can almost always be one of the first few people at the register, so it's q quick shopping trip for me. The only drawback is that it's a 30 minute drive to get there.

April-early May, Sept-Oct. Certainly Airlines consider peak season to be around mid May to the end of August.

September can be still be darn hot some places.

When we were in Bruges in early October one year it was absolutely packed. It’s hard to beat the crowds in Europe.

I think you have your time periods correct. A friend of mine works for the airlines and flies international routes. He says August is always the most crowded month in Europe.

Menards on a weekday morning. The few other people in the store are either contractors or employees. Contrast that to a weekend, where one has to deal with parents who think it's cute to let their kid push the shopping cart through the crowded store.

If you pay 75$, how is it free in the end ??

Just semantics.
OK, I'll give you that. But camping in Washington State parks is relatively expensive - about $35 a night.

I find the best time to go to Costco is about a half hour before they close. Of course, I’m not shopping, I’m buying the things I need and getting out of there, so a a half hour is plenty. We also like this restaurant nearby that has lunch pricing until 3:00pm. We go around 2:30 and have what is for us an early dinner. Typically, we’re one of only a couple there at that time. Also like the early movies, but that’s only on occasion because there are not many movies out that we’re interested in.
Oooo... I never thought of off peaking dining! I typically eat out 1x a week with the family and it on peak Friday night.

Off peak Costco shopping? No such thing here. Long lines and a shortage of parking at 10 AM on a Tuesday or Wednesday. That was a major disappointment after I retired!

Funny. I was at local Costco at 11 am yesterday (Wednesday) and had to text DW to ask whether no one had a job anymore. Parking lot was jammed. I agree that right before closing is generally a pretty good time though I like to take my time (probably one of the reasons the place is so congested). And around 230-330 when everyone is out picking up kids.

We have gorgeous trails near our cottage and they get busy in season. Three years ago, the area got a TripAdvisor rating as one of the top 3 places in the province to visit. Problem is it is an isolated area at the end of a 60 mile dead end road with a village of a few hundred people. Talk about a recipe for congestion. So the shoulders become the only option for locals and long time visitors.

We love Europe in the shoulder seasons too.

Big fan here. We are joining another couple for dinner today and they suggested 7pm. We said 1pm. So by 3:30 we can be home having a nap and just nosh for supper.

Beside there is an at-home hockey game tonight making traffic unbearable (for us).

I did several short trips this Summer on a Sunday - Wednesday schedule.

Spent hours on a beach where the nearest person was at least 100 yards away. Walked trails where we went 5-10 minutes between seeing other humans.

Avoided huge amounts of traffic from those leaving on Friday and returning home on Sunday.

One disadvantage is trail running. Sure, it's nice to have clear trails, but if something happens where I'd need help, it could be a long time before someone else comes along. I was to the point of researching personal locator beacons, but I decided to just not go on remote trails by myself.

Off peaking works quite well on my local, not too remote ride/run.
I start the Sunday morning ride at dawn or a little sooner using an LED light setup when the days are shorter. It is not at all uncommon to go three hours without being passed by a car or seeing anyone else on the trail section of the ride. Just me and the wildlife.

Conversely, I run during the heat of the day throughout the super hot summer months here, I rarely see another trail user. Yes, I have heard the crazy comment a few times :).

If you must drive through the Los Angeles area on your way from Point A to Point B, Sunday mornings are a good time to do it. Most people that work run errands on Saturday and are sleeping in or making pancakes at 9 AM Sunday. No commuters for competition either. I find if I leave the South Bay at 5 to 5:30, I will be east of the most congested areas by 10:30 or so. Westbound, you need to be on the Grapevine by 11 or so.

I think most retirees do off peaking naturally.

On travel - well, I prefer good weather. So I don’t usually travel somewhere when weather is yucky which rules out the low season. But shoulder season can be good.

What are the off peak times to visit Europe?

Well, since you put it that way :D

Never go to Europe in August as the entire continent is on holidays. This includes a lot of the wait staff and service people "on the clock." June & July are almost as bad, with most schools around the world out for the summer.

Thanksgiving to before Christmas is cheapest everything, but the weather may likely just suck. Jan/Feb/Mar have pretty much same suckiness factor (unless skiing or in the south of Europe).

April - May & Sep - Oct are best bets for a combination of reasonable weather, slightly off peak prices, and smaller teeming hordes of tourists.

Signed,
Teeming horde of two currently in Koln :dance:

Just like in the US, most of Europe is just too darn hot in August with less air conditioning! The northernmost latitudes would be best.

What are the off peak times to visit Europe?

2 am to 6 am ??
:LOL:

I did several short trips this Summer on a Sunday - Wednesday schedule.

Spent hours on a beach where the nearest person was at least 100 yards away. Walked trails where we went 5-10 minutes between seeing other humans.

Avoided huge amounts of traffic from those leaving on Friday and returning home on Sunday.

Love that one. Better rates at the hotels on those nights as well.

Bike/ped trails around here are packed on weekends, and weekday evenings with commuters and such. I am looking forward to some good 10 am Tuesday rides!

Speaking of "off peaking", Google maps has a feature that will show how busy some places are. Depending on the location, it might even show "live" and compare it with the history. It also has a line that shows the "peak" time, so you can also reference that with a time you want to go. I have used this to find the best times for the grocery store, Costco, and most restaurants. As an example, the best day for the Costco nearest me is Wednesday.

I attached a screenshot for reference.

Attachments

• Google.jpg
    Google.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom