The Best "Simple Things" in Retirement?

I used to list my "goals for the next year" as "accumulate sufficient financial reserves to achieve financial independence", or, in latter years, "prepare for retirement". They still didn't get it.

Maybe they didn't even read your review, of they would have "got it"! :D

For the me post part, I can choose the people that I will be around.
Being able to go shopping on weekdays.
Occasionally, I like to have a day where I basically do nothing.

- No more putting in face time at meetings in which key decisions had already been made without my input or knowledge.

- No more overseas "firefighting" trips to fix screwed up projects micromanaged by the GM and his stooges.

I love finally getting enough sleep for the first time since I was in grade school, yet I still seem to have all the time I need for family, friends, and hobbies/passions.

1. Laying in bed in the morning. I wake up early still but then I lay there until I feel like getting up.
2. Drinking coffee and sitting around for at least an hour.
3. I don't do anything (hardly) that requires an alarm clock.
4. Doing yoga during the day.
5. Doing my shopping when the stores are not busy.
6. Spending extra time with my parents.
7. Being able to help with my grandkids during the day.

I have been retired almost four years, and it has been awesome.

I'm enjoying going to lunch a couple times a week with a couple new biker friends.
we pick a place & chew the fat over lunch, never in a hurry.
life is good now that I've been retired for a year.

Catching a sunset from a nice/new vantage point is my favorite "simple" thing to do. Along with taking a walk through nature.

no two sunsets are the same.

Weather report tonight is snow overnight and into rush hour in the morning:).

Tomorrow morning I will be drinking my coffee, reading the paper, and smiling because I don't have to deal with it:dance:.

Tomorrow morning I will be drinking my coffee, reading the paper, and smiling because I don't have to deal with it:dance:.

For perhaps five years after retirement one of our favorite morning routines was watching the traffic reports on TV and gloating that we did not have to participate.:dance:

I enjoy doing the same. Now I just worry about the kids having to drive in it!

It is -20F outside right now, wind chill. We are supposed to get up to 7 inches of snow tonight through tomorrow with 35MPH winds.

I will wake up around 7, read the newspaper and drink coffee for an hour or two. Then, DW and I will make breakfast. Since tomorrow's highs will be in single digits w/blizzard conditions, we will work out downstairs in the home gym instead of going swimming at Lifetime Fitness. Only downside is that we will have to skip walking the dogs. The car will stay in the garage all day. And, even better, our son has returned home to stay while looking for a new job, so he will get to shovel off the snow from the driveway!

We have plenty of coffee for the morning, a nice bottle of Chianti for the afternoon, and good books to keep us occupied. Occasionally, I will tune in to the local weather report just to giggle about not having to be out in the weather. Simple things indeed. Life is good. :)

For perhaps five years after retirement one of our favorite morning routines was watching the traffic reports on TV and gloating that we did not have to participate.:dance:

I am 8 years into ER and I still enjoy watching them here. And the women doing those reports o our local cable TV station are really cute! :D

It is -20F outside right now, wind chill. We are supposed to get up to 7 inches of snow tonight through tomorrow with 35MPH winds.

I will wake up around 7, read the newspaper and drink coffee for an hour or two. Then, DW and I will make breakfast. Since tomorrow's highs will be in single digits w/blizzard conditions, we will work out downstairs in the home gym instead of going swimming at Lifetime Fitness. Only downside is that we will have to skip walking the dogs. The car will stay in the garage all day. And, even better, our son has returned home to stay while looking for a new job, so he will get to shovel off the snow from the driveway!

We have plenty of coffee for the morning, a nice bottle of Chianti for the afternoon, and good books to keep us occupied. Occasionally, I will tune in to the local weather report just to giggle about not having to be out in the weather. Simple things indeed. Life is good. :)
I love your username

How about no annual reviews at work!!

And how about *not* reading about people's annual reviews on an early retirement forum thread labeled "The Best Simple Things in Retirement"? :D

I have an additional simple thing to add. Here in Georgia, they are forecasting snow late Friday and into Saturday and as you might guess, the good folks around here will FREAK OUT and ransack all the grocery stores. Well...we just got back from traveling yesterday and we had very few groceries. I thought about going to restock during my normal Thursday early afternoon time frame but realized that it could be VERY crazy at that time. So...since I am retired, while everyone else went to work and school, I went at 8 AM. The shelves were very well stocked and more importantly NO ONE WAS THERE! :D

I made a comment to the cashier about how crazy it will get and she said that yesterday was one of the worst days she has ever seen. It was senior day, school started back today *and* the mention of snow was made. I am VERY happy that I went this AM!

Now, I am watching the birds, having some coffee and contemplating a mid-morning nap since I had to get up early. ;)

And how about *not* reading about people's annual reviews on an early retirement forum thread labeled "The Best Simple Things in Retirement"? :D

I have an additional simple thing to add. Here in Georgia, they are forecasting snow late Friday and into Saturday and as you might guess, the good folks around here will FREAK OUT and ransack all the grocery stores. Well...we just got back from traveling yesterday and we had very few groceries. I thought about going to restock during my normal Thursday early afternoon time frame but realized that it could be VERY crazy at that time. So...since I am retired, while everyone else went to work and school, I went at 8 AM. The shelves were very well stocked and more importantly NO ONE WAS THERE! :D

I made a comment to the cashier about how crazy it will get and she said that yesterday was one of the worst days she has ever seen. It was senior day, school started back today *and* the mention of snow was made. I am VERY happy that I went this AM!

Now, I am watching the birds, having some coffee and contemplating a mid-morning nap since I had to get up early. ;)

Ha! I am up in SC and it is the same thing with snow. People go crazy over nothing. Saturday is the big 17th Annual Millrace Massacre and Iceman Championships! The river is high and a little snow won't stop this whitewater kayak competition. I will be there.

This afternoon brought to mind another of my simple pleasures -- not having to leave the vacation home on Sunday afternoon/evening to get back to the main home to prepare for w*rk.

We get to relax here tonight, then head back to civilization tomorrow after a leisurely morning. Or maybe we will stay another day...doesn't matter to me.

Earlier in my retirement....being in my kayak on Lake Champlain (VT) on a beautiful afternoon, looking at the Adirondacks across the lake and thinking: "Right now there's some poor SOB stuck in traffic on the Beltway, stressed about the fact that he's going to be late for some stupid meeting that he supposed to be at. I used to be that poor SOB but now here I am in my kayak on Lake Champlain."

ALL of the above! I'm still in adventure mode but I look at it each day of being very lucky person. Lol

Catching a sunset from a nice/new vantage point is my favorite "simple" thing to do. Along with taking a walk through nature.

no two sunsets are the same.

I definitely knew it was time to go when I could not longer appreciate even the most beautiful of sunsets. It was as if I had died inside...

Maybe they didn't even read your review, of they would have "got it"! :D
Of course not. Nobody read those. It is just a check mark in the corporate bureaucracy.
I definitely knew it was time to go when I could not longer appreciate even the most beautiful of sunsets. It was as if I had died inside...
Yes you did not reframe to remain positive. I did so was not ready to retire but it was time. I wanted 25 years of retirement, and preferably 35.

I came across an old Word file which contained a funny employee evaluation form. I never had to use one of these back in my working days. Did you? :D [I bleeped out some of the bad language. Moderators, if you need to bleep out any of the less salty language, please do so, with my apologies.]

EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM

Name ___________________________________ Title ________________________________
Department ______________________________ Supervisor ___________________________
Date Employed ___________________________ Date of Last Evaluation _________________

Knowledge ___ This son of a bitch really knows his ****.
___ Knows most phases of his job.
___ Knows just enough to be dangerous.
___ Stupid bastard; couldn’t hit his ass with both hands.
___ F***ker is brain-damaged; a coffee cup has a higher IQ.

Accuracy ___ Does excellent work, if not preoccupied with sex.
___ Pretty good; only occasionally blows it out his ass.
___ Doesn’t give a s**t if his output is right or wrong.
___ Does s**tty work and constantly f***s up.
___ Couldn’t count his balls and get the same number twice.

Rate of Work ___ Fastest mother***er I ever saw.
___ Fast son of a bitch, if he thinks he’ll get a raise.
___ Does a lot of work, at salary-review time.
___ Works only if kicked in the ass every five minutes.
___ Couldn’t do less work if he were in a coma.

Dependability ___ A very dependable little c**k-sucker.
___ Usually dependable, at salary-review time.
___ Conscientious, only if sex urge is satisfied.
___ Can depend on him to be the first one to leave at 4 PM.
___ Completely incompetent; totally f***ing worthless.

Co-operation ___ Extremely co-operative; alias, “Office Brown Necker”.
___ Brown noser in good standing.
___ Co-operative only if his ass is kissed frequently.
___ Thinks it is his job to piss off his coworkers.
___ Doesn’t give a s**t; never has, never will.

Appearance ___ Extremely neat and orderly; even combs his pubic hairs,
___ Neat and orderly, at salary review time.
___ Needs to be introduced to toothpaste and deodorant.
___ Sloppy, dirty, filthy, smelly bastard.
___ Flies leave fresh dog **** to follow him.

Leadership ___ Carries chain saw around and gets good results.
___ Constantly pisses off the troops.
___ Occasionally gets told to get f**ked.
___ Only the janitors obey him.
___ Couldn’t lead a pack of starving wolves to fresh meat.

I have read and I understand my evaluation. I will attempt to correct all deficiencies.

Employee signature ______________________________________________ Date _______________

1. Waking up and relaxing (maybe check emails, facebook or reading) before getting out of bed. Maybe I'm just lazy but I was never a morning person and now I don't have to be!

2. Doing errands and going places without feeling rushed.

3. Simple day trips and drives, exploring and finding fun out of the way places.

4. No more business attire and weekly dry cleaners! (Cotton is just fine in Florida)

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

1. Realizing that all of those small things that I knew I wanted to do (Usually minor projects, organizing, just cleaning up an area, etc.) that I always thought "Yeah, Like when you are going to have time to do that?"... are now not only do-able, but many are perfect little distractions for my ADD side. Even the stuff I love doing, I don't want to do for 6-8 hours at a time.

2. Trying to get out every weekday after lunch with our 2 dogs for a 1-2 mile walk/hike. We live in a rural area with lots and lots of conservation/Land Trust trails in woods, meadows and around lakes and ponds. Oddly enough, also enjoying the challenge of doing this in the middle of a New England winter. Learning about dressing in non-cotton layers and ice spikes for my boots. Also download a map my hike app for my phone and try to make at least 2 walks a week a "power" walk and maintain a 3-4mph pace. Our dogs love me even more now and have learned to recognize when I am putting the hiking boots on.

3. Weekdays, I set my alarm for 9:00. Am not, and never have been, a morning person and am perfectly capable of sleeping until 10:30-11:00. But by setting my alarm, I at least give myself the option and have to make a conscience decision to stay in bed past 9:00 (So far have just hammered the snooze button 4-6 times!).

Back
Top Bottom