The best thing about retirement in one picture

jpz62

Confused about dryer sheets
I just passed my one year anniversary of retirement and I am loving it. I just want to thank everyone on this site for your valuable insight and wisdom on this part of life. After reflecting on my first year, I wanted to capture the joy in one picture and post it. Again, thanks to everyone on this site!!

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 204
that's a lot of keys!!
It is so nice to be rid of the clutter of our work life.
Enjoying every day :)

Congrats on your 1 year retire-versary. :dance:

I LOVE the image! That is the picture of freedom. :D

I still have 18 months to go before retirement, but I was thinking the other day about "things" I can unburden myself of when I retire. One of the major ones is the long list of passwords I have to maintain for all the various programs and platforms at w#rk. Our IT guys (quite rightly) insist that we use different passwords for everything, and they have to be changed every 60-90 days to boot. Because I w#rk at home some days, I have to keep track of the same list of passwords there.

In my case I only need one security key fob to access all areas at w#rk, but I consider the passwords to be my "digital key fobs" and I can't wait until I can leave them behind.

Unfortunately I won't be able to post a similar picture of "before" and "after" when I unburden myself of them! :LOL::cool:

Last edited:
That does summarize pretty well. For me, I would say this is fitting as I need to remember when to roll the trash to the curb. :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 554
With 2 houses and 4 cars, I have to keep two key chains. One day, I'm going to figure out what all those keys actually go to. I also have keys to my fifth wheel camper and boats kept in a safe--so I don't lose'em.

I am still about 8-10 years out but can imagine a world without piles of stupid emails that have been forwarded so many times that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is being communicated.

I just passed my one year anniversary of retirement and I am loving it. I just want to thank everyone on this site for your valuable insight and wisdom on this part of life. After reflecting on my first year, I wanted to capture the joy in one picture and post it. Again, thanks to everyone on this site!!

Perfect visual for un-complicating life!

Dayum that's a lot of keys you have there, O Royal Keymaster! I had to shed only one key when I left my old company, a small desk key. Still, it felt good to get rid of it anyway.

My eventual goal is no keys at all (at least physical). I use an electronic door lock for my condo, and have a card key at w$rk. I carry around one bike key, one stairwell gate key, and one mailbox key at present (and a car key on the weekends)....way too many!

I am still about 8-10 years out but can imagine a world without piles of stupid emails that have been forwarded so many times that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is being communicated.

Don't worry...they will still come in. Sure, they may not be w*rk related, but they'll be there. Before unsubscribing from *all* emails from the Veteran's Administration, I was getting 5-8 emails A DAY from them. :cool:

For personal emails, Unsubscribe is your friend.

I was a high school principal. Too many doors to count!!

I have only one key ( to the door of my apartment). last week, I went with the nanny to pick up my son from school and when I got home realized I had forgotten my key. After a bit of to do, called my Wife to take a taxi home from work to open the door, I realized I could open the door with a CC! Now I don't carry the key and chain any more.

With 2 houses and 4 cars, I have to keep two key chains. One day, I'm going to figure out what all those keys actually go to. I also have keys to my fifth wheel camper and boats kept in a safe--so I don't lose'em.

assuming you're not renting out the second home why not have both homes keyed the same? everything fits on one ring.

I was able to ditch 2 work related keys on retirement and so my daily key ring consists of only 2 keys. I also keep my car key on a separate key ring now as we walk or bike to most things and I rarely need the car keys! After years of long distance commuting this is one of the best parts for me!

Down to 4 keys. 2 for the house and 2 for the cars.

Wow! That's a lot of keys, what were they all for? All I have for w*rk is three: one to my office door, which I never use, and two file cabinet keys, which I use every day only because I keep my personal stuff locked in there. (I do have a few paper files in one cabinet, but they're old; everything from the past 5 years or so has gone digital, including pay stubs and reviews.)

And I'm working on my personal keys too, HNL Bill! I've got a Kwikset smart lock that does have a key, and our newer car only requires that the key is in your pocket to open and start, so I need to carry it, but I can keep my keys in my pocket the whole time I'm out. The one I probably will never be able to get rid of is my post office box key. I can't see the USPS modernizing that part of their business in the foreseeable future.

This post got me thinking. Both of our cars have the transponder, so was curious how many traditional keys I had. Well, I have 3 on there. One for the house, one for the truck bed cover and one for the trailer hitch. I don't think I have really had too many keys in my life.

The "house" on the other hand has way too many keys. One for the mailbox "vacation bin", one for the fence gates, one for the natural gas box (I don't even know what that is?), one for the irrigation control box (that is inside the house?), two for the tornado shelter, a couple for fire/lock boxes, and probably a couple others I am forgetting.

Love it! I took some serious time off when I was in my mid 30s and went down to 0 keys. Happiest period of my life. One that I plan to repeat when my kids are grown.

Back
Top Bottom