Things to do before I die...

MJ, err, keep up the hard work. :D

Talk about appreciating where you are cause of where you've been.

I've been a short order cook (slingin burgers at 5-6 a minute, a construction worker who slept from 5-7 PM so I had enough energy to chase the girls at night. I spent 6 years as a basic draftsman to earn enough to got to college, then 4 years for first degree.

Got a job in LA making more money than I ever dreamed of. Had been so poor, I hoarded everything I could. Eventually had enough to invest in late 80's. Got rich. Then got hammered by the market and recovered a bit.

I been high and I been low. High is better. :D

OldAgePensioner said:
HaHa,
Your advice is always good value, so...

Alas OAP, the only way to profit from my relationship expertise is to do the opposite of whatever I suggest.

Ha

HaHa,
so me kidnapping that yellow bikini and allowing her to break loose and turn the tables on me was bad. Somehow being tied up by a girl in a yellow bikini seemed pretty cool. :D

It was only when she demanded ransom money that I realized that, yes, once again, HaHa has led me astray. :rant: Only cost me my collection of Donnie Osmond records. So, not bad.

OldAgePensioner said:
HaHa,
so me kidnapping that yellow bikini and allowing her to break loose and turn the tables on me was bad. Somehow being tied up by a girl in a yellow bikini seemed pretty cool. :D

It all depends on what she has in mind. Although Clint's character wasn't tied but asleep (out of control), think about the movie "Play Misty for Me". :dead:

MJ, when she tied me up in the shower, all I could think of was why am I wearing this women's wig and why did she call me Vivian Leigh. Arrrgh, Psycho. Somebody untie me, quick. :rant:

TromboneAl said:
What's that about?
Al, it's ironic that you ask that question after I spent the last 10 days on one of the world's largest roving piles of free food.

Walford's the researcher who discovered that mice live longer on a low-calorie diet.

His fellow Biosphere 2 scientists had to restrict their rations for several months and the initial (physiological) results were encouraging. A few years later he had lunch with Alan Alda on Scientific American Frontiers and demonstrated his nutritional software. I remember Alda asking Walford if calorie restriction was working and Walford said "I think so but I can't claim success, I've only been on it for 10 years..."

Walford died of ALS complications last year. Unfortunately he claimed that the syndrome was brought on by Biosphere's atmosphere contaminants and it's a little difficult to believe that his calorie-restriction lifestyle was not an issue. I don't know enough about the issue to make a decision either way but I'm cautiously paranoid.

The guy lived a pretty amazing life and I think his research is compelling. I carried around 20-30 extra pounds for nearly two decades and I'm surprised how much my health has improved since losing them. Activities that I used to pass up (running) are actually enjoyable now and I've had no joint pains. I suspect the vast majority of Americans have health complications (BP, cholesterol, joint pain, insulin levels, hypo/hyperglycemic, risk factors) that would largely disappear if we'd lose 15-25 pounds.

Optimizing my nutrition and reducing my health risks appeals to my inner analytical engineer, too, but I doubt that'll make me give up ice cream or beer. Walford probably found a tiny grain of truth that's subsequently been surrounded by a feeding frenzy (so to speak) of nuts & zealots. However the first few steps down that path has taught me a lot about diet & balance that seems worthy of further exploration. Just as soon as I finish my second breakfast...

Back
Top Bottom