This Is How Terribly Short Your Life Is

Interesting on the mowing the grass. Yesterday, DS said, 'Dad I finally get why you like working in the yard.' This after he had helped me by pulling a few weeds. He said that it allows one to focus on something simple and take one's mind off the stresses of life. Turns out my DS is becoming wise. From the time I started cutting grass at about age 8 I have always enjoyed it for many reasons. Certainly, DS is correct that removing one's mind from the stress of life is one aspect but there are many others. Small things well done, tending plants, working in the dirt with one's hands, being outside, physical labour when one's primary occupation doesn't involve same, making something look appealing, etc. Finding satisfaction in small things is part of mindfulness and practicing thankfulness and gratitude. I don't look forward to the day when I can't mow the lawn, appreciate the smell of cut grass or stretch out in the sun on the turf. Soon enough I'll be under it! (Or in my case, just spread around as fertilizer).

I'm not crazy about yard work (at all), but I don't mind cutting the grass. One of the things I did when I retired was to get rid of my riding mower. Now I cut about an acre with a power push mower (no power assist), some of it hilly. Why? Well, I figured it was sort of a 'forced' exercise. Sometimes I regret the decision, but usually not. I just listen to a podcast w/ear protection on top and enjoy the day (somewhat).

This is why everyday I am thankful that (a) I had a college major and career job that I enjoyed and (b) it was lucrative enough that I could retire at 60 and choose not to work. Any time I have left now is just a bonus. :)

I'm glad they didn't jump into the "follow your dream and the money will follow" b.s. that so many carpe diem videos propose. The message was more of a "be aware of the cost and benefit of your choices, that making yourself miserable today and solely living for tomorrow has a very high price". I can't argue with a message to think about our choices and decisions, being thoughtful is generally better than being mindless.
I did this and had a very happy and enjoyable life. The career path I chose was what I wanted, the money was enough to take care of my needs with some to save, colleagues were of like mind and interesting, and I had a lot of time to travel and enjoy myself. I could have retired years earlier than I did but I was having a good time. At one point I left and spent 10 years in another job for the money that was fun at first for the novelty and the respect given. However, eventually the money couldn't offset the drudge and the problems many complain about when going for the money so I went back to my dream for the next 20+ years before retiring. My experiences taught me that living a life that is enjoyable every day while preparing for the future is better than being miserable at a job until you retire.

Cheers!

When I see high production value videos, I'm left wondering who pays for them... what's the business model? Not curious enough to dig. I like that if more people thought this way, wages would be pushed higher.

The logic is very flawed, but agree with the sentiment.

I’m told every 1 million views generates about $500. So this one’s 1.5 million views has earned it $750. I can’t verify that except that I heard someone knowledgeable say it. Maybe there’s also value to a film maker’s portfolio in advertising their services.

This video exactly points out why I started taking SS early; 62. My remaining years are going to be restricted on what I can do by my health and physical ability. Waiting until 70 to take AND enjoy the benefits of SS funds also comes with being unable to do those things I would want to do now. Now I kayak on the ocean, ski the mountains, work on landscaping projects, ride motorcycles, hike, fish, etc. As time goes by, it's less and less likely that my health will allow me to do those things past age 70. When I'm old, sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair, I do not want regrets of things I could have done back when I was able, but put off for a few more bucks in a bank account that can't buy me those experiences my body no longer can enjoy.

This video exactly points out why I started taking SS early; 62. My remaining years are going to be restricted on what I can do by my health and physical ability. Waiting until 70 to take AND enjoy the benefits of SS funds also comes with being unable to do those things I would want to do now. Now I kayak on the ocean, ski the mountains, work on landscaping projects, ride motorcycles, hike, fish, etc. As time goes by, it's less and less likely that my health will allow me to do those things past age 70. When I'm old, sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair, I do not want regrets of things I could have done back when I was able, but put off for a few more bucks in a bank account that can't buy me those experiences my body no longer can enjoy.
+1000. I ER'd at 52 and did the hiking, riding, all the hobbies I didn't have time for before starting at ER a totally different life in the Oregon forests which I've enjoyed immensely. This all came to abrupt halt at the end of last year at age 69+ when I developed a serious autoimmune disease that put the paid to all my outdoor activities. I wouldn't trade the last 17 years of bliss for all the money in the world.

I'm not crazy about yard work (at all), but I don't mind cutting the grass. One of the things I did when I retired was to get rid of my riding mower. Now I cut about an acre with a power push mower (no power assist), some of it hilly. Why? Well, I figured it was sort of a 'forced' exercise. Sometimes I regret the decision, but usually not. I just listen to a podcast w/ear protection on top and enjoy the day (somewhat).

I'm all in on the exercise aspect of DIY. Mow or walk mindlessly on a treadmill? It's a nobrainer. This week DW and I mowed and redid our lakehouse drive way. Cut sod and expanded it with a 12 ton topper of crushed stone. All by hand with a mattock, two shovels and a couple of rakes. It's great to be the old geezers nobody will mess with.

When I retired at 60, while I was really enjoying my work, I said to myself, I have spent 25 years getting ready and 35 year executing, and now I will spend 25 years reaping the rewards.

Now that I am 17 years into it with 8 years to go, I really appreciate those that retire even earlier! Why take the chance? We just bought our final retirement condo and are enjoying every minute of it!

Excellent point!

It does seem a good idea to consider taking SS early if your main pursuits involve physical activity. We are guaranteed to have that ability for physical activity reduced as we age. Soto me it does make sense to trade off a lower but earlier SS payment if it helps one pursue those things one will not be able to do when older.

I'm all in on the exercise aspect of DIY. Mow or walk mindlessly on a treadmill? It's a nobrainer. This week DW and I mowed and redid our lakehouse drive way. Cut sod and expanded it with a 12 ton topper of crushed stone. All by hand with a mattock, two shovels and a couple of rakes. It's great to be the old geezers nobody will mess with.
Great work! Totally agree. One of my pet peeves has always been the gym rats with the great muscles who can never find the time to help me break rocks. Probably going to have to use the wrong muscle groups! :)

For some reason, this made me think of a calculation I did a few years ago. A friend of mine, who lives in DC, in a rowhouse that was converted to condos, had a small backyard. The mowable part was probably around 10x15 feet, at the most. He just hit it with a weed whacker. Yet, he griped about having to "cut the grass", and mentioned that he couldn't even fathom the idea of being out in the suburbs or more rural areas (like where I live), because of all the grass cutting. I simply told him that "you get used to it" and "it's not that bad" and so forth, but he didn't want to hear any of it.

Anyway, I think I was around 42 at the time. I probably started cutting the grass when I was around 10, when Granddad taught me how to drive the lawn tractor. Being out in the boonies, we don't have an HOA breathing down our necks, so we can sometimes let the grass go a bit before cutting it. On average, I'd say 10 cuts per year, at 2 hours per cut, is an over-estimation. But, let's use that. That's 20 hours per year. Over the course of 32 years, that would have been 640 hours of my life. Or roughly 26 days and 16 hours.

So, at the age of 42, not even a month of my life had been devoted to cutting the grass. Even now, at the age of 50, that would only be 800 hours, or roughly 33 days and 8 hours. As I've gotten older, I've learned I like cutting the grass less and less. When I was a kid, it was exciting, like being one step closer to driving a car. But now it just seems repetitive and dull. Plus, now that I've moved, I have a much larger yard. I let the grass go about 4 weeks without cutting, and as a result it took almost 7 hours to cut it all.

Still, to put it in perspective, even if it took me 70 hours total to cut the grass this year, that's about the equivalent of 11 weeks worth of commuting back and forth to work for me. And, I know I'm not going to cut it 10 times over the course of the year. Last year I think it only got cut 5-6x, and later in the season when it was drier, it didn't take as long.

So, whenever I'm having trouble finding the ambition to cut the grass, I remember this little math exercise, to put it in perspective. Even though it drones on and seems to take forever, in the overall scheme of things it's such a tiny portion of my life.

Another statistic I just figured out. With my current commute (75 minutes round trip on a good day, 5x per week), in about 2 1/2 years, I will have spent the same amount of time driving to and from work as I did cutting grass for 40 years!

Now that, more than anything else, makes me want to retire!

Growing up, I spent a lot of time cutting the grass at my house. It was tedious and time-consuming, but I had to do it.

Here in CA, my house is so close to my neighbor's, that the little bit of grass to be cut gets done by gardeners. When I travel back East, I see such large yards, and they're beautiful to look at, but oh my, the weekly maintenance must be a PITA. Especially some of the medians along the highways are all grass, it just looks like a lot of work.

Thought it was interesting that the sample person in the video had 525,600 hours left. That’s the number of minutes in a year. (Which I know because of that song from Rent.)

I retired at 57 in 2003 due to a disability that caused chronic pain. No fun
At age 60 I was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. Had immediate surgery followed by chemo and radiation? This cancer had a 5-year survival rate of 10%. I believe the survival rates are a little better today.

My point is that you never know what the future holds so if early retirement is your goal then by all means do it. Remember the old cliche "No one on their death bed ever said they wished they had spent more time at the office".

+1000. I ER'd at 52 and did the hiking, riding, all the hobbies I didn't have time for before starting at ER a totally different life in the Oregon forests which I've enjoyed immensely. This all came to abrupt halt at the end of last year at age 69+ when I developed a serious autoimmune disease that put the paid to all my outdoor activities. I wouldn't trade the last 17 years of bliss for all the money in the world.

Wow! Our sentiments exactly. We do virtually all the w*rk on our own homes and we love to bike and kayak. We definitely have slowed down, but we want to enjoy as much as we can now, even if there is some chance we won't die in a nursing home with oodles of money. :facepalm:

Unfortunately this video reminded me that 2020 (and perhaps beyond that) has been stolen from me :( I was on the move a lot pre-covid and the plan for the future was to lead mini-lives (aka 3 months long staycations in different countries) out of a carry on. I didn't know that until I gave it a shot but I'm definitely a minimalist vagabond at heart. I also love meeting new people. Now I'm stuck in NY living between my sofa, TV/computer and the grocery store. The sad part is that there's absolutely nothing I can do to live the life I want to live.

Happy wife = Happy life.

My current wife and I made a vow to pay each other $1,000 cash if one of us is the first to lose their temper and/or raises their voice.

I am behind $6,000 after 10 years of marriage. She has yet to pay me. The $1000 payment is a great anger management tool.

The $6,000 really means nothing compared to the happiness my wife gives to me. She uses this money to buy new clothes for herself.

I do not focus on how terribly short my life is because I am more focus on the quality of our lives. Time is meaningless if you are happy.

Best thing I did career-wise is acquiring multiple job skills by going to school after work. When I was unhappy at work, I had sufficient job skills to easily get a better job. Similarly, my first wife wife was toxic, and I ended up with a divorce. I married a perfect 2nd wife who is 20 years younger than me. My young wife puts up with me and has yet to lose her temper. I know she is happy because she always smiles and people compliment her for her youthful looks.

Melissa Etheridge The Shadow Of A Black Crow 4th Street Feeling

sometimes life chooses for you

good luck on your choices

sorry You-Tube went rogue

To me, this video was also a good reminder of why it's important to enjoy your life WHILE living it instead of saving and waiting until it's nearly over. My parents didn't have that option because they owned a grocery store and couldn't afford to hire help to take time off. When they were finally able to retire, my mom had less than five good years before her poor health put a kabosh on all my dad's travel plans and turned him into an unpaid home health aide. If you hate your job, find one you enjoy or at least hate less. If you want to travel and you can afford it, do it now while you're healthy. If you hate mowing the grass, pay someone to do it now.

Unfortunately this video reminded me that 2020 (and perhaps beyond that) has been stolen from me :( I was on the move a lot pre-covid and the plan for the future was to lead mini-lives (aka 3 months long staycations in different countries) out of a carry on. I didn't know that until I gave it a shot but I'm definitely a minimalist vagabond at heart. I also love meeting new people. Now I'm stuck in NY living between my sofa, TV/computer and the grocery store. The sad part is that there's absolutely nothing I can do to live the life I want to live.
My retirement target was March, 2020 but I am still working mainly for the reasons listed above. My state just started to allow more businesses to reopen this weekend, but who knows when international tourism will return or what it will look like when it does. So for know, I'm in One More Month (OMM) mode. It's not too bad since I get to work from home which has allowed me to start to see what my spending will be like in retirement (no commute, eating more at home, etc.)

Regarding the video, they say the fun stops for 2/3rds of us at age 65 which doesn't seem accurate to me. I agree that the fun does start slowing down, but my own estimate as to when I will no longer be able to enjoy activities that require some degree of physical fitness, walking on old cobblestone streets for example, is 70 - 75. My parents were pretty active travelers (by car) into their late 70's, but they were done taking overnight trips when they turned 80 or around then. Therefore I hope to have ~15 "good" years after I retire to do those things which I have always wanted to do.

Retired last year at 54 because I didn't enjoy working and was getting hard to keep up with IT. Since my 40s haven't particularly enjoyed work much, was just doing it for the paycheck. Looked forward to international travel and weekend dinner parties with friends. But also lived relatively below means so when splurging it was a treat rather than the norm.

Am now taking care of an elderly relative, paralyzed on one side due to stroke. It's actually more fulfilling than any period of work life and am fortunate to be financially stable enough where money isn't a major concern (though COVID could impact my investments). Don't feel trapped into taking care of relative but do look forward to another phase in life after this phase.

Really

If you are contemplating whether to ER or not and especially if you fall in the OMY category, this clip might push you off the fence. Runs about 5 min., worth watching even if only for the thought provoking content.

Well, that's 5 wasted minutes of my life that I can never get back. I don't live in statistics.

Regarding the video, they say the fun stops for 2/3rds of us at age 65 which doesn't seem accurate to me. I agree that the fun does start slowing down, but my own estimate as to when I will no longer be able to enjoy activities that require some degree of physical fitness, walking on old cobblestone streets for example, is 70 - 75. My parents were pretty active travelers (by car) into their late 70's, but they were done taking overnight trips when they turned 80 or around then. Therefore I hope to have ~15 "good" years after I retire to do those things which I have always wanted to do.
I tend to agree with this. There is some truth the saying that 'Youth is wasted on the young'. I think that as one gets older, if fortunate, one tends to develop a deeper appreciation of life and living. 'If only I'd known' is such a familiar sentiment. It seems that out of necessity much of the 20 to 40-something years are occupied with family and work. So far the older I get the more clearly I can see what is truly important. Current trends towards teaching mindfulness and gratefulness are on the right track IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom