Trip ideas?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need to start thinking about where we might go this winter. I find that I increasingly need a dose of sunshine in the depths of winter, say Late January or early February. We will be travelling with an 18 month old, and probably won't get away for more than a week. We're not averse to a destination outside the US, but travelling too far doesn't make a lot of sense for such a short trip. We'd also like to avoid breaking the bank. I have been toying with the notion of Florida, but we're not all that much into the cheesy Disneyworld thing, and the overdevelopment of many areas of FL is distressing to see. We've been to Puerto Rico a few times (main island and Vieques). I might be interested in Grenada if it doesn't prove to be too outrageous.

Any other ideas?

Brewer, you're in NJ right? Many cheap direct winter flights from NYC to Italy. How about Umbria or Tuscany in the winter. Pensiones are cheap. Italians love, LOVE babies. The air is crisp, and the sun seductive.

Hop one of the winter cheapo flights from EWR to Morocco.  Skip inland to Fez, and feel like you've dropped in on another planet.  It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world, IMHO. 

I appreciate the thought, but right now the Arab world is probably not somewhere I would take the baby. I did think that Malta was an amazing place, though.

How warm is it in southern Italy in Jan/Feb? How sunny?

P.S. said:
...How about Umbria or Tuscany in the winter. Pensiones are cheap. Italians love, LOVE babies. The air is crisp, and the sun seductive.
P.S. you make winter in Italy sound good, We'll be in N. Italy starting Nov 1, just the 2 of us :D... our babies are out doing their own thing now :) - not that there's anything wrong with traveling with them ::)

brewer12345 said:
How warm is it in southern Italy in Jan/Feb?  How sunny?

To answer your questions, this site may come in handy if you are thinking of going to Italy.

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/climate/city_LIRF/weather-forecast_rome-fiumicino italy

Italy would be a good choice, especially since you would not have to pay for a seat for your child under age 2.  Italy is a very baby friendly country.  My family went there when my baby was under 2 and it worked out well.

brewer12345 said:
I need to start thinking about where we might go this winter.  I find that I increasingly need a dose of sunshine in the depths of winter, say Late January or early February.  We will be travelling with an 18 month old, and probably won't get away for more than a week.  We're not averse to a destination outside the US, but travelling too far doesn't make a lot of sense for such a short trip.  We'd also like to avoid breaking the bank.  I have been toying with the notion of Florida, but we're not all that much into the cheesy Disneyworld thing, and the overdevelopment of many areas of FL is distressing to see.  We've been to Puerto Rico a few times (main island and Vieques).  I might be interested in Grenada if it doesn't prove to be too outrageous.

Any other ideas?

Nope, but I once worked with a world traveler who told me Grenada was
his fav. spot. That was a long time ago though.

JG

brewer12345 said:
Any other ideas?
When our kid was 18 months old we were living in San Diego.

South Mission Bay Park's playground, SeaWorld, The WorldFamousSanDiegoZoo, the trolley, and plenty of stuff for the grownups. Tijuana even beckons if you're adventurous.

Traffic's not bad when you avoid the rush hours.

San Diego is indeed a great place to take a child.

Or how about Northern Arizona? A vast expanse of beautiful mountain forests, lakes, and streams. Visit the Grand Canyon, then head down to Sedona.

WRBT said:
San Diego is indeed a great place to take a child.

Or how about Northern Arizona? A vast expanse of beautiful mountain forests, lakes, and streams. Visit the Grand Canyon, then head down to Sedona.

DW's family lives in Denver and we went to Northern NM in April, so the Southwest is kind of the default option. I'll have to keep AZ in mind.

brew -

Grenada looked pricey to me.  I think Feb would be the best time in your case to visit the Carib.  Prices seem to dip a bit after Dec and Jan.  Have you ever considered the Pac side of Mexico like Puerto Vallarta?

You may want to check in to a cruise to the caribbean. Not sure how much you want to spend though. The winter cruises are usually cheaper than summer cruises, so you might find a steal for $2000 for a week with the three of you. Plus airfare if applicable.

wildcat said:
brew -

Grenada looked pricey to me.  I think Feb would be the best time in your case to visit the Carib.  Prices seem to dip a bit after Dec and Jan.  Have you ever considered the Pac side of Mexico like Puerto Vallarta?

What about the Yucatan side of Mexico? Playa Del Carmen or Tulum (not Cancun :p)

Costa Rica? Belize? Some good packages available but I don't know about the baby-friendliness.

I don't know much about the various Carribean islands, but have a friend who just moved to Bonaire and loves it.

I second the San Diego suggestion. There's a lot of fun stuff to do.

While I was out of town at a conference this week my dear sweet S.O. sat thru a timeshare salespitch in order to get us a free trip to San Diego - air and hotel, so we'll be heading down there when things get really dark and damp around here.

Nords said:
When our kid was 18 months old we were living in San Diego.

South Mission Bay Park's playground, SeaWorld, The WorldFamousSanDiegoZoo, the trolley, and plenty of stuff for the grownups. Tijuana even beckons if you're adventurous.

Traffic's not bad when you avoid the rush hours.

As a resident of San Diego, I must concur. So much fun stuff to do, even if you want to do nothing at all. One thing though, the water will be too cold at that time to go in (well, it is for us anyway). But with an 18 month old, that may not be much of a factor. We do get rain in Feb. and March. January is pretty good.

Laurence said:
One thing though, the water will be too cold at that time to go in (well, it is for us anyway).  But with an 18 month old, that may not be much of a factor.
Gosh, I'd hate to think that the kid would get tired & need a nap.

I can remember many afternoons at South Mission Bay Park: "N-n-n-n-o, D-d-d-dad, I'm n-n-n-not c-c-c-c-cold!" The eyes would be closed and the head would be leaning against the car seat before we'd be out of the parking lot...

Nords said:
Gosh, I'd hate to think that the kid would get tired & need a nap.

I can remember many afternoons at South Mission Bay Park: "N-n-n-n-o, D-d-d-dad, I'm n-n-n-not c-c-c-c-cold!"  The eyes would be closed and the head would be leaning against the car seat before we'd be out of the parking lot...
Heheh, we were making a big batch of salsa last weekend (do it every year) and I had a big bucket filled with water and about a dozen bunches of cilantro (trying to rinse the dirt/sand out). It was just sitting at the corner of the deck while we worked on the rest of the prep (42# of tomatoes to chop, etc.). My daughter decided that the bucket was a fun new toy and started picking up the cilantro and lunging it into the water again. This game lasted fora good 30 minutes and would have continued if she hadn't started shivering from deing thoroughly sodden with cold water. Nap time was lengthy that afternoon.

Acapulco: Decent Flight. Less crowded than Cancun with same climate...
St John(USVI), Grand Cayman, Aruba on the Atlantic side. Be sure to go there before the spring break...

Loved Italy when we visited Tuscany and Rome in 2004.
Just one suggestion if you go, take a toilet seat with you to use at the rest stops on the autostrada (their 4 lane highways). There are toilets, but without seats,
so if you have to sit, you'll need the toilet seat.
We rented a villa in Colle Val D'Elsa (Tuscany) for less than 100 dollars per night - very, very nice ! ! I'm sure the prices are higher now, but still a good bargain can be found. try www.slowtrav.com for lots of info.
And one more thing: the FOOD is awesome there.

bennevis said:
Loved Italy when we visited Tuscany and Rome in 2004.
Just one suggestion if you go,  take a toilet seat with you to use at the rest stops on the autostrada (their 4 lane highways).   There are toilets, but without seats,
so if you have to sit, you'll need the toilet seat.
We rented a villa in Colle Val D'Elsa (Tuscany) for less than 100 dollars per night - very, very nice ! !    I'm sure the prices are higher now, but still a good bargain can be found.     try   www.slowtrav.com   for lots of info.
And one more thing:  the FOOD is awesome there.

Sounds like fun.......dragging along your own toilet seat :)

JG

That brings to mind an experience I had on the Italian Riviera 35 years ago with a stomach virus, a wc stall sans toilet and no paper. It's a very funny story but I'll spare you the gross detail. :LOL: :LOL: You're welcome. :D :D

If you have to bring a toilet seat on vacation, then
you can state... My trip was crappy..

Hi brewer,

I'll put in a plug for the coastal carolinas. Jan/Feb is a fine time for northerners to go to the beach. Its about  55 degrees by noon and you may catch a 65+ degree day or two during the week. Luxury off season rentals  are cheap.

The best part is that there is nothing to do... wonderful, blissful nothing. I like that. Turn off the cell phone and listen to the sea. We do have toilet seats but flushing can be a challenge. 

Look into the Outer Banks, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Southport, and into SC. While you're here, you could be checking out your retirement home.  ;)

Friend of mine from back in the '60s founded the "Birch John" society... :p

John Galt,
Better to be prepared (with the toilet seat) than to have to hold it for 2 hours
until we checked in to our villa ! ! !
Ray :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom