Two Years FIRE....lived and learned a lot!

EpicRider

Dryer sheet aficionado
My FIRE update after almost two years of retirement. I started my military retirement in July 2016.

- My FIRE journey officially began in Nov 2016 after spending about "two weeks" in my first bridge career attempt. I will not get into all the details, but I had accepted a management level federal position after retiring from the Marine Corps and to put it mildly....it was not the environment I was expecting. In hindsight, I probably should have stayed longer and it might have eventually worked out, but I also think it was my real "wake up" to chose a different path after 26 years in the military and I have no regrets with the life experiences I have had since I walked away from any full time work. I embraced change!

- FIRE life experiences have been mostly amazing; sometimes slow but even then the freedom to do nothing is awesome! I have a difficult time fully embracing doing nothing for very long, but it is nice to have a flexible schedule most of the time.

- FIRE Budget; all good. We have continued to monitor monthly expenditures and consciously simplified when we retired...the big ticket items of home, healthcare and living expenses have all been tracking with expected costs. However, local property in Colorado keeps creeping up and this impacts property taxes and other living expenses. Military retirement healthcare is also creeping up but is still an incredible value for those willing to serve 20 or more years in the service.

- FIRE Hobbies; best part! I have been truly blessed with the many outdoor opportunities available in Colorado and have been able to participate in some extended camping, hiking, climbing, mountain biking and mountaineering. I recently participated in my first glacier climb this July 4th and successfully summited Mt. Rainier (emmons-winthrop route) as part of a "self-guided" Colorado Mountain Club group! These are the type of life experiences I imagined would be part of my best case FIRE plan and only reinforce the importance of striving for the best health possible throughout your journey to FIRE.

- FIRE travel; best part #2! My DW of 28 plus years and I have had an amazing time working on some "bucket list" travel. So far trips to Mexico, Vancouver, Alaska and throughout the midwest have provided some lifelong memories and brought us closer than we ever expected at this point in our lives. Mileage may vary, but we have been surprised at the amount of fun we have spending time together and planning our trips!

- FIRE future; still developing. So far, we are content. We don't have as much as some, but we feel very blessed with the options we do have since choosing a simpler path for our future. We both "walked away" from additional money in order to focus on other priorities. Our lives still have moments of chaos and other challenges but we are definitely less stressed and more focused on the small moments available more frequently when you are not working for the weekends or holidays. We discuss thoughts of returning to work; part-time or full-time related to a "passion" vice just working but we have not pursued this option very much. As mentioned, it is hard to give up the freedom of "time".

I still really enjoy this forum and appreciate all the life advice provided by the many members! FIRE is not perfect and does not guarantee dreams will come true but it can provide you the space and time to make special memories that will exceed your wildest expectations. :)

Attached a few photo-moto pic's: Mt. Rainier (Camp Schurman); Mt. Wetterhorn Peak & one of many Utah camping overlooks....

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_53da.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_53da.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Wetterhorn Climb View.jpg
    Wetterhorn Climb View.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 180
  • fullsizeoutput_52a6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_52a6.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 185
Congratulations, EpicRider! Nice update - should encourage folks that are on the fence to stop with the OMY!

Congrats on the FIRE journey!!!
I retired out of the Army Reserve (15 active/15 reserve). Even at 60, benefits are great. Medical care allowed me to retire at 60. I retired just over 1 year ago and it's been a great ride!

Nice update. That’s what I like to hear. In two years, I will be like you!

We have those REI backpacking chairs, and we are the envy of fellow backpackers when we pull them out and set them up after a long day on the trail. It's the small things, right? ;)

Love the photos - congratulations on a fantastic start to ER!

Attached a few photo-moto pic's: Mt. Rainier (Camp Schurman); Mt. Wetterhorn Peak & one of many Utah camping overlooks....

The snow camping photo is fantastic!

Interesting to read the rest of the "post-FIRE" perspective too, thanks for posting.

I am envious. I love to travel, but DW has way less interest in traveling than me. She likes to go to one particular country, and says we should go again some day. I am chomping at the bit to go all over the place.

When I FIRE at the end of this year, I suspect I will just have to go many of these places myself (to her disapproval), otherwise I will never get there. If it was me, I would be gone months and months every year.

Thank you for your service. I have great respect for our brave marines. (My DS started his service in the Marine Corps, where he met his future wife. After graduation from the USNA, he commissioned into the Navy, as he felt it would be easier on his future wife.)

That is great, congratulations. :)

I retired after 20-years of Active Duty in the US Navy, in 2001. Our dream was to move out into the woods, build a farmhouse and raise livestock.

Retired life can be amazing :)

My wife, I think she got bored. She has decided to run for office in the state legislature. So I am driving her around while she does the 'door-to-door' campaigning this summer.

Thanks for your service :)

Congratulations, OP! I'm glad you are enjoying retirement.

When I FIRE at the end of this year, I suspect I will just have to go many of these places myself (to her disapproval), otherwise I will never get there. If it was me, I would be gone months and months every year.

I was in the same boat my first year of retirement so I went on a group adventure tour of New Zealand. We had a great group and the tour and scenery were amazing.

https://flyingkiwi.com

Back
Top Bottom