Uh oh a job offer has come my way! Might be coming out of retirement...

johnnyfuego

Recycles dryer sheets
What to do, what to do. A little background info - before my 28 years as a firefighter, I was a thru freight brakeman/conductor for the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) railroad. I enjoyed it, but was furloughed several times, so after 6 1/2 years and 87,000 miles of riding the rails all over Texas, I changed career paths to become a ff with more job security and now I'm retired with a great pension. It has been a great 18 months.

This week, after just inquiring for grins and giggles on a posting on indeed.com, on my birthday no less, I was offered the position of switchman at a local power plant, to be cross trained as an engineer. The opportunity just fell in my lap straight out of the sky. It is fairly simple work. In a nutshell, we just receive the arriving coal train off of the adjoining UP railroad, take the train to the power plant, position the first three cars for unloading with the locomotives, then the power plant personnel take over with the automatic coal car unloader. We go to the yard office and hang out until they are done, then, if needed, set out cars that need repair (bad order), then take the unloaded train back to the UP main line and turn it back over to the other railroad to take back to Powder River Basin in Wyoming for reloading. Then it's back home for a day or two or three, depending on how much time the trains take to make their way back. I'm told there are relaxed easy going crews I will be working with and they are all in their 50's and 60's.

Seeing that I need 4 more quarters to reach 40 to be eligible for SSA benefits, I think this is a great opportunity to do so. I am hoping to do them a great job for a while, then transition to more of a part time position as a floater filling in here and there, if all goes well. The pay is not bad, with a guaranteed 40 hours and overtime after 40. The 'shift' is 12 hours max, and usually less than that. After working 24 hour shifts for all those years, 12 should be a piece of cake. The benefits are good too, but my benefits are already in place from the AFD, so maybe I can negotiate for more money in lieu of bennies.

The cool thing about all of this is anticipating a fun and relaxed atmosphere without the pressure of 'having' to work, since my financial situation is quite healthy. I can always walk away.

What say y'all?

Sounds like this is a good opportunity. If you don't like it, you can always re-retire... but it sounds like a good fit and good way to get some more SS quarters.

Your doing this because you want to, not because you have to. That should answer your question. If it is something you want to do, then the rest is just gravy. I'd go for it!

It sounds like a great opportunity to fill out the quarters for the SS benefits.

AFAIK, if you earn over $5200 in one year, you will receive '4 quarters of credit'. So give it a try. If it does not agree with you, you should at least try to put in that $5200 amount of effort. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/QC.html

Sounds like a great deal to me... and I would do it just to get to 40 qtrs... might as well qualify for SS...

And if you can do it part time, that is even more grave IMO... I would love to get a PT gig to get out every now and then... I can be lazy and just do the gym and come home...

Why not? Sounds like you're excited about giving it a try.

You were looking at Indeed for grins and giggles? Sounds like you are open-minded and have options of your choice.

4 quarters of credit (> $5200 wages in a month or two) for a lifetime of SS benefits....

Sounds like a great opportunity as you mentioned.

The way you describe it, it sounds like something I would do.
For a year or so, why not?

Seeing that I need 4 more quarters to reach 40 to be eligible for SSA benefits, I think this is a great opportunity to do so. ....

What say y'all?

I say the 4 quarters to reach SS makes this a horse of a different color from all the other posts about people not being able to decide if they should accept a job offer after they retired. For those, I always think "Why did you retire? Do you know what 'retired' means?".

But if you've got a reasonably low stress way to reach the 40 quarter gate, heck, I might even do it for 'free'.

And you get to drive a real train, and get paid for it?! Heck, a lot of retired (and not retired people) pay big bucks to drive little trains on table top! :) OK, probably not that much fun for you, since you have 'been there - done that', but you seem good with it, you have little to lose, you could always quit if it turns out bad, but that seems unlikely.

edit/add: Make sure you understand how/if your SS and pension are affected by some of the rules we hear about here, WEP and something else that escapes me right now.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Sounds like a no brainer to me also. Finish getting your quarters of coverage for social security and continue or not depending on how well you are enjoying it.

Sounds like you did not pay into Social Security during your years as a fireman. You are likely going to get hit with the GPO/WEP (never understood which applies when) and receive a much reduced SS check. You might want to make the calculation to see how much you will receive. Not sure if this affects Medicare, but that is something also worth researching.

You sound excited about the idea - so that's a huge plus. And a year for a lifetime of SS? No brainer.

I'd say go for it. After I retired the first time I also stumbled into a nearby low stress job that I stayed with for about 5 years. When things went south at the job site I had the freedom to quit and I did. Even if you take a hit on the SS because of GPO/WEP it still may be worthwhile.

Most importantly, the job is optional and you can walk away whenever you want. I found that makes a huge difference in attitude.

I'd say go for it. After I retired the first time I also stumbled into a nearby low stress job that I stayed with for about 5 years. When things went south at the job site I had the freedom to quit and I did. Even if you take a hit on the SS because of GPO/WEP it still may be worthwhile.

Most importantly, the job is optional and you can walk away whenever you want. I found that makes a huge difference in attitude.

I agree with this... AFAIK, they do not take 100% of SS away from you, so getting to 40 qtrs will put money in your pocket...

I agree with those who say "go for it!" - you sound like you would be having fun doing it, and there is great joy in getting paid for having fun. :)

Go for it , what is the worse thing to happen . You re retire . Just no stress please ...................

Thanks for the input folks! I'm still jumping through hoops. The drug screening is out of the way and tomorrow is the physical assessment. Not so much a medical physical but completing job related tasks, flexibility, etc, at a physical therapy center. Today I called human resources with AFD as well as my pension office to make sure there will be no conflicts. They gave me the green light.

I do need to educate myself more about the WEP. It ticks me off to be penalized for success and striving and having the good fortune of having a great pension system. The pension fund administrator said he sees it all the time with other retired firefighters.

One thing about the power plant location, there is a fairly large lake that is next to it, used for cooling and it is well known for being a 'bass factory'! Perhaps I can take my boat from time to time and hit the lake after getting off of the train doing what I have been doing in retirement - fishing!

Good luck! I retired last year at 46 and have enjoyed every minute of it. I had no intention of going back to work and then......A friend of mine is starting a new company and wants me to join him as an advisor in a similar role as my last job. Although i wasn't looking to get "back into it", the new gig will be part time (20 hours or so per week) and I can set my own schedule. I thought about it for 2 months and finally said yes. I will not be getting a salary but I will get a share of the company so I will make money if the company is successful. Will keep you posted.

FIL was a switchman (in the local train-building yard.) It was a relatively tough job, especially as he got older. Climbing aboard and jumping off got to be difficult as his body broke down. One fall probably cost him his life, though the effects were not seen until many years later - so it's debatable. He retired at 60 and was physically spent.

I mention this only to suggest that OP assure personal safety and insure work conditions compatible with a long life following re-retirement.

Other than that, I would say "go for it" if for no other reason than to assure SS benefits! Heck, to get SS bennies, I'd w*rk as a greeter or a hash slinger for a year! Naturally, YMMV. Good luck!!

I'd do it, if for nothing else than the extra security...belt and suspenders dontcha know...

Thanks for the input folks! I'm still jumping through hoops. The drug screening is out of the way and tomorrow is the physical assessment. Not so much a medical physical but completing job related tasks, flexibility, etc, at a physical therapy center. Today I called human resources with AFD as well as my pension office to make sure there will be no conflicts. They gave me the green light.

I do need to educate myself more about the WEP. It ticks me off to be penalized for success and striving and having the good fortune of having a great pension system. The pension fund administrator said he sees it all the time with other retired firefighters.

One thing about the power plant location, there is a fairly large lake that is next to it, used for cooling and it is well known for being a 'bass factory'! Perhaps I can take my boat from time to time and hit the lake after getting off of the train doing what I have been doing in retirement - fishing!

The WEP provision is due to the way the Social Security benefit formula is structured. The calculation is to find the average monthly wage over 35 years inflation adjusted. Then for the first 885 per month you get a 90% replacement, 32% between 886 and 5336 its a 32% replacement, and 15% above this. So if you just have the 10 years your likley to end up with a benefit in the 90% bracket, thus called a windfall. Few know that SS benefits are means tested this way obviously including politician but it is well documented on the SS web site.

In the 10 year total I assume you considered the integration of railroad retirement (tier 1) and social security.

Back
Top Bottom