Uh oh a job offer has come my way! Might be coming out of retirement...

I retired at 55 being FI, - I spent a year traveling and enjoying life - After about a year and 1/2 I got a 2year job offer in Dubai and decided to take it - it was the most enjoyable 2 years I had in the last 15 years of my working life. I then accepted a couple of more 2 year contracts in Asia, and as of the last few days, I am in negations' for another 2 years. (still fun and exciting)

The moral of the story is to do what makes you happy - I have got many friends who are retired - some enjoying the peace and quite, others enjoying the wanderlust and other who dabble in the work life - do what is going to make you happy and make the most of it.

My wife retired "Public Safety" in Orange Cty, CA. Because she gets the county pension, even though she's also eligible for Social Security, she gets nothing from SS.

Don't have a problem with it, but if she chooses to start her own business, she still has to pay the full SS tax with no benefit, but will get Medicare at 65.

Am I wrong or is there something I'm missing. OP might want to double check this himself expecting to get SS on top of his pension.

My wife retired "Public Safety" in Orange Cty, CA. Because she gets the county pension, even though she's also eligible for Social Security, she gets nothing from SS.

Don't have a problem with it, but if she chooses to start her own business, she still has to pay the full SS tax with no benefit, but will get Medicare at 65.

Am I wrong or is there something I'm missing. OP might want to double check this himself expecting to get SS on top of his pension.

Yes I believe you are missing some info. The O.P., if I understand correctly has nearly 40 quarters of work where SS taxes were paid in non gov. work, in addition to his years in gov. work. With 40 quarters or more , he would be eligible for partial SS , subject to the windfall elimination provision , and government pension offset. If your wife accumulates enough quarters of SS payments, and self employment qualifies , she will be able to collect SS.

Link to ss wep page www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Last edited:
It must not be in the cards. The manipulation of the type of switches used at the power plant are already aggravating an old fireground injury from years ago with AFD. A little bit bummed but its ok. I'm not going to turn a shoulder subluxation/impingement injury with a 1% impairment rating into a blown out shoulder. My boss and I are discussing options, but I have decided not to tempt fate. I'm leaving with my head held high, as they liked me and they were already liking my work ethic, and I liked them as well. I also leave in good conscience as I was totally forthright about my old injury, impairment rating, and workmans comp claim from the get go.

I again want to thank you guys for your thoughts. I'm glad the door was opened up for some discussion about SSA, WEP, etc. I hope it helped others that are as confused about all of that as I am. I'm sure something else will come down the pipe just like this did. As for the '1st and short 2nd' railroad career, at least I can look back and say 'ah, but at least I've got the memories!'.

Lastly, please keep my little town of Bastrop in your thoughts and prayers. I already know some people involved in yesterday's horrific train/bus collision in Biloxi yesterday, and I am still waiting for word of who else I may know and their condition. All will be affected physcologically for sure, including the train crew of course. I know because I have seen hitting a car with my own eyes, from the conductor's seat of a locomotive. This too gave me incentive to become a firefighter to help others. Yesterday, before knowing about the accident, I was going to take a selfie with the locomotive in the background and give the 'big reveal' on Facebook about the new job. I am very thankful I was too busy to be able to do so...

My bad. keep the town of Lockhart in your prayers and thoughts as well. One couple from there passed away. Retired school administrators from their school district. All passengers on board are retirees...

If it is something you want to do, do it. If you need to do it financially, do it. If you are looking around on Job boards and "applying" for giggles, you are probably not really ready for retirement. Been there, done that first time I retired. I do not risk looking at anything that might tempt me to "un-retire" anymore."

Back
Top Bottom