Unrealistic estimates on all the projects I do

We've definitely experienced this, even before ER. In our old neighborhood, where there was constant renovation of old homes, a couple neighbors told me the factor was 6x the estimate :LOL:

There were three, general items which caused this. There was the initial estimate, which was 2x off due to optimism and inexperience. Then there was a discovery of some sort that added another 2x. This could be something like discovering rotted wood or faulty electrical work. Then there was the actual work which added another 2x. This could be the wrong tool for the job, second trips to the hardware store, etc. Add it up, and you have 6x.

My first experience with this was when I was planning on finishing my office by Labor Day, 2007. which was just a couple weeks away. It finally (almost) finished in December :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We still experience the 6x factor in ER. Now, however, we at least see it is coming.

I call DW the eternal optimist when it comes to projects. I’m well aware of the 6X issues and DW never includes even 2X. The 6X is so true, especially with an older home. And now that I’m retired, I’m certainly not going to be rushed. My worse trait is getting things to done. For example, I might paint a room and weeks later the outlet covers still won’t be back on. Finishing the final details just has always been a problem for me. When we hire a contractor, which DW never thinks is appropriate because she thinks I’m her Dad who literally could do anything and she doesn’t like spending money, I remind her that one of the benefits to hiring someone is that the job actually gets completed.

I've never failed to have all materials needed for an hour plumbing repair job on hand only to find I needed two more trips at least to the hardware store & finish up the next day.

I've never failed to have all materials needed for an hour plumbing repair job on hand only to find I needed two more trips at least to the hardware store & finish up the next day.
All my projects are 3 trip mimimum

Finishing the final details just has always been a problem for me. When we hire a contractor, which DW never thinks is appropriate because she thinks I’m her Dad who literally could do anything and she doesn’t like spending money, I remind her that one of the benefits to hiring someone is that the job actually gets completed.
I dunno, Jerry. You'd make a great contractor! Ask around and you'll find that finishing the job is a big complaint against contractors (on bigger jobs). You'd fit right in. :)

I'm lucky to have a Lowes and Home Depot only 5 minutes away. Way too many trips! I am actually hampered in my volunteer activities in that I work with a group that helps repair a remote camp. I'm used to running to a store. Not possible there, so we have to plan ahead and get materials. It doesn't work too well for me.

My project mantra - "Measure twice. Then make at least 6 trips to Lowes."

Same here except to add don't do anything tricky when Home Depot or Menards are not open. This is particularly true with plumbing issues.

We need to look at the bigger picture here. Instead of wondering why deadlines are being missed we should be asking why we are even thinking about them.

Deadlines matter to DW when I shut the water main off to the house 3 hours ago to change a valve in the shower and a 3rd trip to Lowes is in order because somehow I managed to bollix up a relatively simple job. :D

Deadlines matter to DW when I shut the water main off to the house 3 hours ago to change a valve in the shower and a 3rd trip to Lowes is in order because somehow I managed to bollix up a relatively simple job. :D

see my tip for plumbing at least the bollix happened when Lowe's was open for business...

My project mantra - "Measure twice. Then make at least 6 trips to Lowes."

Guilty as charged. I am in the process of building myself a desk out of a butcher block type cabinet top. What should have been a project that took about 3 days...well so far I am on month 3. I should have the stain done next week...maybe. :D

I think retirement does it. There are few things that I *must* do by a certain time and I resent being told to do anything otherwise.

I call DW the eternal optimist when it comes to projects. I’m well aware of the 6X issues and DW never includes even 2X. The 6X is so true, especially with an older home. And now that I’m retired, I’m certainly not going to be rushed. My worse trait is getting things to done. For example, I might paint a room and weeks later the outlet covers still won’t be back on. Finishing the final details just has always been a problem for me. When we hire a contractor, which DW never thinks is appropriate because she thinks I’m her Dad who literally could do anything and she doesn’t like spending money, I remind her that one of the benefits to hiring someone is that the job actually gets completed.

Haha, that's great! My wife, too. Our 100 year old, 4200 square foot house she said would be done in one year. Her Dad said 30 :LOL::LOL: We did it in 6 years, so the 6x was even accurate for long term :)

About bollixing up a job...

I have a friend who always reminds me: "Don't break into jail" when approaching a project, especially if it ain't broke. Love that expression. :LOL:

Winter maintenance on my 2002 BMW (made a list of things to do) took 3X as long and 3X in dollars for parts and fluids. Seems like everything I touched was connected to something that also needed repair or replacement. :blush:

But one thing about retirement, I was not pressed to complete the project this winter.

I try to only take on jobs that I can do a small portion at a time, and walk away from when I'm bored, or my back hurts, or it's time to do something else. If it has to be done by a certain time, it's time to bring in a pro.
Also, DW needs to understand that the mess may not be cleaned up every night, because if I have to clean up, and then find the tools and get started all over again, I won't have time to do any work on the project.
If living with my stuff is too onerous, we'll call in the pros.

I once had a long talk about retirement with my uncle. He always had projects going on in retirement - albeit slowly. His main point was that projects take a lot longer as you get older.

So I knew it was coming when I retired, and I expect my projects to take longer than they should.

Same here except to add don't do anything tricky when Home Depot or Menards are not open. This is particularly true with plumbing issues.
Back in winter of 1979, I learned NOT to start a plumbing project, no matter HOW simple, at 6 PM on a Sunday :(

I finished replacing the shocks on my RV last weekend, last shock took 3 plus hours, started the project in august ladt year each shock was at least 3 hours due to access and frozen fasteners.

2X+1 is the formula I use when I'm a producer. Engineer tells me a game feature will take them a day to make, I schedule 3.

Back
Top Bottom