Unrealistic estimates on all the projects I do

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It doesn't really matter, but... It seems like every project I cook up takes 3x longer than expected. You name it, I'm too optimistic in my plans.

I just realized I'm channeling my old w*rk life when all projects estimated by the project managers were too aggressive. :)

No, seriously, does anyone else have this problem? I'm talking about almost everything: trip planning, home improvement, cooking, doing bills or taxes, etc.

Is it slowing down due to age? Or is it just not having the urgency? Or maybe I'm just being more picky in what I do?

My most recent home improvement project was replacing some railing. I started in mid March, figured I'd be done by April 1. Well, I just finished today. LOL.

I've always felt that way. Unless I have outside pressure or a fixed external deadline it will take longer than expected.

It doesn't really matter, but... It seems like every project I cook up takes 3x longer than expected. You name it, I'm too optimistic in my plans.

I just realized I'm channeling my old w*rk life when all projects estimated by the project managers were too aggressive. [emoji4]

No, seriously, does anyone else have this problem? I'm talking about almost everything: trip planning, home improvement, cooking, doing bills or taxes, etc.

I found myself doing the same thing initially. I guess it was the mindset of “I only have Saturday and Sunday to get it done”. I’ve since realized I’m not in any hurry. My last project took almost 4 weeks. Finally finished it last week...

One of the nice things about retirement is that I don't have to set deadlines. I have a couple different hobby projects going that'll get done...eventually. In a way it's nice to have something to do when I want to work on it. If I finish it...then what?

One of the nice things about retirement is that I don't have to set deadlines. I have a couple different hobby projects going that'll get done...eventually. In a way it's nice to have something to do when I want to work on it. If I finish it...then what?

I guess I'm discovering this organically. 35 years of working under pressure, I'm not used to not having a deadline.

Maybe you were a better DIY'er when you were young, than I ever was. But my running joke has always been that I do my best-faith estimate of the time needed to do a job, and then triple it. So I've always been in your "3x longer" camp!

“Or is it just not having the urgency? Or maybe I'm just being more picky in what I do?”

Definitely these points. The projects will get done...eventually, if I feel like it. :cool:

When I was a student or working, I always get things done faster than peers. Whatever I planned, I usually get it done on time.

These days in ER, I don't set deadlines on projects. Currently, I am building a modular garage storage shelves. I am making plans as I build this thing. No deadline. Therefore, it will get done on time.

We've definitely experienced this, even before ER. In our old neighborhood, where there was constant renovation of old homes, a couple neighbors told me the factor was 6x the estimate :LOL:

There were three, general items which caused this. There was the initial estimate, which was 2x off due to optimism and inexperience. Then there was a discovery of some sort that added another 2x. This could be something like discovering rotted wood or faulty electrical work. Then there was the actual work which added another 2x. This could be the wrong tool for the job, second trips to the hardware store, etc. Add it up, and you have 6x.

My first experience with this was when I was planning on finishing my office by Labor Day, 2007. which was just a couple weeks away. It finally (almost) finished in December :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We still experience the 6x factor in ER. Now, however, we at least see it is coming.

My project mantra - "Measure twice. Then make at least 6 trips to Lowes."

Yeah, DW just busted my chops (with love, of course...) for telling her our latest remodel of an investment property would only take another month...that was about 65 days ago...

Of course, naps keep getting in the way...

BTW, new fav bumper sticker seen yesterday:
I just want to:
Drink coffee.
Save animals.
Take naps.

Haha naps are a problem for some. I met a retired guy last week, and he said he takes 3 naps a day! One after golf, one after lunch, and the third before dinner. That's more than our 10-month old granddaughter.

I guess I'm discovering this organically. 35 years of working under pressure, I'm not used to not having a deadline.
+1/ retired from Megarcorp, being a leader when I was working leading a huge team and getting and giving at times huge and impossible deadlines to achieve it, it is ingrained in me to " get it done". When things are not going as planned, I usually take a time out, go to the gym, spend time playing with the pit bulls, or take a long walk on the beach here in FL, to refocus and recharge. Do I miss working? Heck, no! I don't even keep track of what day or time it is.

Last edited:
It's even worse when you are a fully functioning adult ADHD. That means you take on 2-3 projects at a time--none of which are promptly finished. But when the jobs are completed, they're really done well--next month, next year ? ? ?

My project mantra - "Measure twice. Then make at least 6 trips to Lowes."
Yup. We've long said that every project takes at least 3 trips to Home Depot. On rare occasions we've had small projects that only take 1 trip, which is when we know we did something wrong. :D

We need to look at the bigger picture here. Instead of wondering why deadlines are being missed we should be asking why we are even thinking about them. We’re not working.

Deadlines matter when there is a cost or penalty for late completion, like filing for taxes. Otherwise, they are like schedules, a construct built around us to satisfy productivity demands by employers or other interested parties.

During our working lives we force ourselves to maximize our productivity because so much is expected from us. Not so in retirement. Remember what Ben Franklin said: “if you want something done ask a busy person”.

Taking our time now does not mean we are late, it means we are enjoying the ride. About time, I might add ...

I always tripple initial estimates in time and money on all my projects,.

Sort of went through this yesterday. Finally received the two window replacements I'd ordered from Lowe's a month ago. Figured it would take 3 hours. Instead, adopting my new attitude of take it slow, read the instructions (I've built houses but never done a pocket window replacement) and just relax, the first one took over 3 hours and the second one 2. At 68 I'm in pretty good shape, usually get an hour of aerobic 5 days a week and try to keep moving doing stuff as much as I can. However, what with the many trips up and down stairs, and lifting the windows in and out to fit properly, I was worn out after that 5-6 hours. What it made me realize is that the idea of people working past 65 (as in raising SS age) would be a bad idea for those who've spent a lifetime doing physical labor. If I had to do that 8 hours a day my whole life and keep at it I'd never make it.

Back
Top Bottom