Vacation budgeting

Twize

Dryer sheet wannabe
I would like to know from people already in ER, how much of their budget is allotted to vacationing/travel. Not in $$ amount, but in percentage of their whole monthly or annual budget. Just trying to get an idea of what others consider a reasonable amount. I'm thinking percentage might have less variation than an actual dollar figure. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of international travel, maybe once every 2 years or so. Any input would be appreciated.

We just aim to get the most vacation for the least money.

About 20% annually for trips involving airline tickets (i.e. larger trips and vacations). Weekend-type driving trips (1-2 nights per trip) less than 5%.

We don't budget for vacations. My wife's hobby is finding inexpensive travel, and when she finds a $411 round trip to Europe on a legacy airline, I ask "when are we leaving?" Then my next door neighbor tells me he got round trips for $362.

Hard to say no.

I would like to know from people already in ER, how much of their budget is allotted to vacationing/travel. Not in $$ amount, but in percentage of their whole monthly or annual budget. Just trying to get an idea of what others consider a reasonable amount. I'm thinking percentage might have less variation than an actual dollar figure. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of international travel, maybe once every 2 years or so. Any input would be appreciated.

depends on how one vacations. we vacation (is it really a vacation when you're retired??) exclusively in our paid-for motorhome. each month we allocate approximately .04% to travel expenses and another .04% for maintenance of the MH.

I am not retired yet, but dh is. However, we are expecting our retirement income to be about the same as it is now.
That mean a vacation budget that is about 20% of our gross salary or about 35k per year.
That includes 1 big trip for dh and myself, 3-4 smaller trips and 4 or 5 weekend getaways. It also includes 1-2 girlfriend trips for me, a family reunion (dh’s family-we pay for our adult kid as well) and a trip I take with my mom and sister.
I am hoping as our kids marry (or if) and as they gain more vacation time in their jobs we can take the entire family somewhere each year.

About 20-25% for us most years. We are doing a major remodel this year so need to stick around. Will be a light year for travel.

About 15% for us. DGF had back surgery last year, so didn't spend it all.
Hopefully will do it this year.
We do keep a budget for 18 major categories with some sub categories.

Travel is not really our “thing”. Each year we take a trip to someplace warm in February, a trip to OR to see family, and maybe a week or so somewhere else in the US (usually to a National Park). It comes to about 5% of our spending at most.

We could afford more, but we just don’t have the desire to do it.

Roughly 14% of our income. But that won't stop us from taking an extra, unplanned, mini-vacation. If we want to go, we just go.

No budget for anything, just LYOM. If we want to do something, $20K doesn't stop us since our other expenses are pretty low (inexpensive house & low cost of living area). But most trips are in $5-10K range, 1-2/yr of 10-20 days.

The average over the last 13 years has been about 25%.
A bit higher the last few years, since starting SS.

We do not budget for travel. Two international 7-8 week trips per year. Shorter in country plus the occasional last minute Al in between.

Over 50% of our budget is discretionary. When we have big expenses (e.g., when we redid our backyard last year or eventual new car) that comes out of the discretionary bucket; otherwise it is all travel. First three years of retirement that has been close to 60% of our actual expenses.

Marc

Our monthly spending including taxes is ~$70K. I'd say 15% of that. We'll adjust up to 20-25% in year or two, when pension kicks in.

It really varies for us. We always take one big trip and a few weekends. Most years we spend 5k but some 10k.

about 10%, more or less.

Back
Top Bottom