Volunteerism and FIRE

Even though I am not retired yet, I have done a bunch of volunteer work over a good number of years, including town government, civic related organizations, and trail and outdoor groups and activities. One of the reasons I need to ER is because work is getting in the way of my volunteering. :)

But seriously, I expect to continue a lot of volunteer work after ER, as does DW. I may step back somewhat from leadership roles though, as someone else suggested. The small 501c3 I currently lead does consume a lot of time.

Around the time I stopped work, the operations manager of a local radio station run mainly by volunteers asked if I was interested in getting involved with them. I'd had a career in radio, presenting and voice-over, and we had been work colleagues before, so she was familiar with me. However, after 25 years or so of getting paid to do it, I had gotten the urge out of my system and didn't feel like doing it any more, paid or unpaid, so I gracefully declined.

I am not a joiner by nature but am slowly starting to get involved with one of the local cat rescue/adoption groups. I have 3 cats (2 of them "foster fails") and began fostering a 4th one today. This one will be going to another home eventually though - I will be accompanying her to adoption events. The organization I'm involved with is particularly well run. I'm looking forward to being a part of their group and helping out. It does indeed feel good to help out.

Even though I am not retired yet, I have done a bunch of volunteer work over a good number of years, including town government, civic related organizations, and trail and outdoor groups and activities. One of the reasons I need to ER is because work is getting in the way of my volunteering. :).

That's great. I admire folks who can work full time and still find time to volunteer for good cause.

Gopher brand litter grabber sticks are $10 at Walgreens and other big box stores. The suction cup tips can fall off it you don't use glue on the tiny screw threads.

One of the trails where I bike is along a storm drain creek, and the trash definitely detracts from the "nature" experience. But, frankly, all one has to do is start in picking up trash. No need for any "organization"...

Post-retirement, I started as above, then needed more dumpster space so I ask to use the ones at the local Forest Service office. They recruited me to help them, but after a couple of years, that felt like a job.

Trail maintenance has been better, I do it on my schedule, and recruit others when they are walking in my wilderness area. That's who is backpacking on those trails, ERs like us.

Volunteers have been the nicest group of people that I've met in ER. Some of them are like who I want to be when I grow up, in my 70s.

I tried to volunteer with two organizations. Out of 3 tries nobody could seem to get a good set of fingerprints for a background check.

I figured the big guy was trying to tell me something ... no wise cracks now. :)

I tried to volunteer with two organizations. Out of 3 tries nobody could seem to get a good set of fingerprints for a background check.

I figured the big guy was trying to tell me something ... no wise cracks now. :)

My goodness where were you trying to volunteer? I'm guessing if they wanted FP they probably want you to pee in a cup. That would be a non-starter for me. Never in my life did I ever take a pee test. I'm not starting in retirement. I can pass one, its against my BS tolerance.
MRG

One was for volunteering at a school. The other was for volunteering at a senior center. Neither the police department or a private firm could do the fingerprint job.

I'm considering becoming a burglar in my spare time.

I planned to volunteer in retirement, but (other than my Admin duties here) I really haven't done any during the first 4+ years of retirement. I just don't have enough extra time for it. There is so much that I want to do in retirement, and I am busily doing it with no time left over.

Maybe some day, after I am out of the "honeymoon phase" of retirement. :)

One was for volunteering at a school. The other was for volunteering at a senior center. Neither the police department or a private firm could do the fingerprint job.

I'm considering becoming a burglar in my spare time.

My volunteer work is at several schools. No fingerprints needed for my volunteer work but at one school someone in the district's administration office wanted to interview me and had me fill out a silly form - and this was after several years of volunteering there. It was a mild nuisance but not a big deal.

From some of the responses to my post, I feel kind of like I must be living in a paranoid part of the country.

I was interviewed at the senior center by one of the full time paid staff. I was asked why I wanted to volunteer. That felt demeaning although I'm sure it was well intentioned. I mentioned I wouldn't mind helping someone out with basic financial stuff and she looked at me like I had some criminal intent. Or maybe I imagined it, but she quickly made it clear that only licensed vetted people were allowed into that area. Oops.

Have any volunteers felt like the paid staff was on a different (superior?) level? I sure don't want to go back to work. Maybe I need a better attitude? :)

F
Have any volunteers felt like the paid staff was on a different (superior?) level? I sure don't want to go back to work.

You're describing precisely why my enthusiasm for volunteering died a quick and painful death. I rarely enjoyed working when I was getting paid to do it - no way was I going to do something similar for free.

I have donated plenty of money, but not my time. I value the latter too much, plus my INTJ personality does not work well dealing with the public.

It would not be so hard if you stopped filing down your finger tips. :cool:

:angel:

I didn't want to develop a habit of sitting around and spending all day on the internet when I FIREd so, in addition to doing some part time consulting and doing a part time MFA degree, I volunteered for:

1. continuing to serve on several law society committees
2. race marshall/ organiser at a local running race
3. fostering kittens for the SPCA
4. editing an annual anthology of short stories and poems for a local writers group (almost done)
5. redrafting the constitution for a local non-profit
6. someone nominated me to represent my class year on a student/faculty/alumni committee

Quite frankly, between the job, the degree and the volunteering, I am busier than I would like to be and am looking to shed a couple of things next year (at least until I have finished the degree). There are a few other things I would like to try, but they will have to wait.

I'm the "volunteer" librarian at our rural elementary school. Being an avid life long reader I try to "open the world through reading" with all the young students. I also volunteer my time and equipment as a "ham" radio operator to our local emergency management. Both are hobbies I love and love to share :)

You're describing precisely why my enthusiasm for volunteering died a quick and painful death. I rarely enjoyed working when I was getting paid to do it - no way was I going to do something similar for free.
I have worked as a volunteer for TaxAide for five years now. I don't think there are any paid positions -- maybe a couple at the national level but certainly none in my state.

It is an interesting group. It tends to draw what I call "tax junkies" - people who for some strange reason like doing taxes. The most successful volunteers we get are bridge players and crossword puzzle doers. Surprisingly, former/current tax professionals do not do so well.

Back
Top Bottom