Were The Hippies Right?

Eh, I think a primary driver to the 'eco friendly' movement has been price drops. In part by producing "eco friendly" products that arent as good as people think they are. "organic milk" from other countries where the word "organic" doesnt mean much, and its dried and reconstituted here in the US. Ick.

I just got some organic bug stuff to spread on the lawn. Made primarily from cedar. Didnt do squat.

I think everyone loves the hippy ethic, as long as they dont have to be inconvenienced or pay extra for the pleasure. And nobody steals their weed or turns them into the cops ;)

Mwsinron said:
How many of those people in the pictures died of drug overdose. Ya hippies had it right all along...

Too mean-spirited, Mwsinron. Simply inappropriate for how this thread was evolving.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Unc, bein' as how you are an old Husky, do you remember Old Smiley applejack? ::)

Nope - I do vaguely recall applejack tho. Also something called logi -beers on 45th street in my senior year caused memorible hangovers.

heh heh heh - the hippies/boomers were/are? the mainstream - a multitudeneous group as it were.

unclemick2 said:
Nope - I do vaguely recall applejack tho. Also something called logi -beers on 45th street in my senior year caused memorible hangovers.

heh heh heh - the hippies/boomers were/are? the mainstream - a multitudeneous group as it were.

Unclemick,
Let's not forget Cold Duck for those special ocasions. Then there was Mary Jane and a cold beer while hanging out with the guys with maybe some Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young playing in the background. We could hang out for hours (come to think about it we didn't watch TV or talk about it) If I did that today I would be asleep in 5 minutes.

_______

Why couldn't the lifeguard save the hippie? He was too far out, man!

boont said:
"Why do you say they are not?"

There is a difference between being inspired by something and getting off your butt and doing something. Washington, Jefferson, and Tom Paine were inspired by John Locke, but John Locke did not win the American Revolution.

As Abbie Hoffman said at Vanderbilt University in 1989, "...in the nineteen-sixties, apartheid was driven out of America. Legal segregation- Jim Crow- ended. We didn't end racism, but we ended legal segregation. We ended the idea that you can send a million soldiers ten thousand miles away to fight in a war that people do not support. We ended the idea that women are second-class citizens. Now, it doesn't matter who sits in the Oval Office. But the big battles that were won in that period of civil war and strife you cannot reverse. We were young, we were reckless, arrogant, silly, headstrong and we were right. I regret nothing."

We are in Iraq, but not with 500,000 men like Vietnam. Bush doesn't dare go to a draft. The country wouldn't stand for it and are already forcing an exit to Iraq. I credit most of that to our generation. We won.

boont

You know I never thought of it that way - the the tens of millions of people who practice Buddhism; Taoism; and Hinduism in their everyday lives in India, China, etc aren't really doing anything.

And thank God for a white male such as Abbie Hoffman that saved us downtrodden. As usuall others (M.L. King - civil rights; Gloria Steinem - women's rights) took or got the credit but we know the truth.
Thanks for the insight.

Am I the only one who thought SoonToRetire's answer was hysterical on this board?

Mwsinron said:
How many of those people in the pictures died of drug overdose. Ya hippies had it right all along...

Only two, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. Jerry Garcia died of a heart attack due to sleep apnea and the rest are still alive.

Tiger said:
Only two, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin.
And Janis' biggest problem was Southern Comfort, a decidedly pre-hippie drug of choice.

Mwsinron said:

I attended a major U.S. university from 1968 to 1972, the heart of the hippie movement. During that time, drug use was so common it was more the norm rather than the exception... Of ALL the people I knew in college, I knew maybe about three or four who DIDN'T do drugs. And yet in spite of this, (with only one exception) all of these people grew up to be normal, hard working, members of the community. One guy I know used to sell about 10 pounds of dope per week. Now he's so conservative that he wouldn't let his kids watch HBO until they turned 17! .... Another guy I didn't know but read about became President of the United States.

The one exception was a fellow who OD'ed in his late twenties.

ScaredtoQuit said:
I attended a major U.S. university from 1968 to 1972, the heart of the hippie movement. During that time, drug use was so common it was more the norm rather than the exception... Of ALL the people I knew in college, I knew maybe about three or four who DIDN'T do drugs. And yet in spite of this, (with only one exception) all of these people grew up to be normal, hard working, members of the community. One guy I know used to sell about 10 pounds of dope per week. Now he's so conservative that he wouldn't let his kids watch HBO until they turned 17! .... Another guy I didn't know but read about became President of the United States.

The one exception was a fellow who OD'ed in his late twenties.

All very true the one difference is the potency and addictiveness of today's drugs.
http://www.drugwatch.org/DWNews_V3_N1_1999.htm
Strength — In 1974, potency in marijuana averaged .85 percent THC (THC produces pot's "high"). In 1996, the average THC level reached 5.01 percent, with some samples exceeding 29 percent. Worldwide competition to grow super-pot has produced a popular strain called "sinsemilla," which averages 10.48% THC. Today's strong varieties commonly cause disorientation, memory loss, hallucinations, panic anxiety, and sometimes psychosis.

I don't think there was anything with the addictive power of crysal meth. in those days.

dex said:
All very true the one difference is the potency and addictiveness of today's drugs.
Strength — In 1974, potency in marijuana averaged .85 percent THC (THC produces pot's "high"). In 1996, the average THC level reached 5.01 percent, with some samples exceeding 29 percent. Worldwide competition to grow super-pot has produced a popular strain called "sinsemilla," which averages 10.48% THC. Today's strong varieties commonly cause disorientation, memory loss, hallucinations, panic anxiety, and sometimes psychosis.

I don't think there was anything with the addictive power of crysal meth. in those days.

Well, that would certainly explain some of the differences in the younger generation. By the way, now that I'm older and wiser I'm not saying drug use in the sixties was good... just agreeing that in the long run it wasn't so devastating. Could be wrong today though.

could be that drug use helped to break a long time pattern of societal neurosis. though, like any drug, once the function is served, it's time to put it away.

while western consciousness seems to have expanded some on a rather large scale, i'm not so sure that there isn't still plenty of work to be done.

this is not yet a nation that treats all members with equality. this is still a nation that thirsts for blood. this is a nation that elected a president who aggressively acts with first strikes.

even with the generation of the 60s now in power, we have not attained the 60s concepts of peace & love. and that frustration might sadly, in part, explain some of the crystal meth.

dex said:

I blame capitalism.... All of those marketers trying to come up with a better product. It's always about bigger, better, faster, cheaper.

We are all just pawns in a big marketing machine. Even the hippies were affected.

dex said:

Sinsemilla is just an unfertilized female plant; i.e. sans seeds. It was available in the 70s. In fact, if you grow your own, just kill all the male plants, and you'll be left with "sinsemilla". Arguments about the relative potency of pot are nebulous, at best. Are you buying dirt weed, or primo? You could get either back then, and undoubtedly can now.

I remember crystal meth and crack (used to be "rock cocaine") from back then, too.

The stereotypical "hippie" was interested in "mind-expanding" substances, like pot, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, peyote/mescaline, or MDA (now MMDA, or Ecstacy).

Outside of meth the biggest difference between the drugs of today and those of the 60's/70's is that the drugs of choice these days are prescription drugs. In the 80's I did a lot of travel to Asia and had problems sleeping so I took sleeping pills, one of the pills I took was Rohypnol but I stopped because it left me feeling hungover. Rohypnol is now know as roofies and it's one of the most popular date rape drugs.

I have been smoking weed for about 30 years and I see no change in the potency over the years excluding the grading from street quality to primo.

I can't help but laugh at the arrogance of the "hippie" generation I see here, conveniently ignoring the many problems the next generations have inherited from them. Take a look a the children of today, the "norms" they embrace, the grasshopper attitude so many people have (rather than the ant, putting away for a rainy day) and the negative savings rate the nation has, the way many corporations now operate, the life is cheap attitude (abortion), common politeness not so common, chivalry considered sexist and the castration of many things considered masculine.

The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime) and the left's attitude of win power no matter what the cost in Iraq (remember the recent comments about "this will win us seats"?). The "let government take care of us so long as someone else pays for it" attitude of so many entitlement programs (Bush is no better in this regard with the prescription drug program). Gun control without regard to statistics which show how many crimes are prevented due to guns and the fact that criminals will have guns with or without gun control. The "if it feels good do it" attitude without regard to your fellow man. The thought that a Prius is environmentally and/or economically a good choice when the non-hybrid version of this car actually costs less over the long haul and has less environmental impact. The hypocrisy of "leaders" like Gore who preach conservation yet practice just the opposite (and then have the gall to purchase "carbon credits" from their own companies!). The price over quality attitude. Offices where cussing is the norm and the "f word" becoming acceptable part of every day speech. Spitting on soldiers. Civil rights "leaders" turning into opportunistic race-pimps. The drug culture.

Yup... the hippies had it right. Gag.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I just got some organic bug stuff to spread on the lawn. Made primarily from cedar. Didnt do squat.
It did exactly what it was designed to do. To not kill bugs! ;)

missionfinder said:
I can't help but laugh at the arrogance of the "hippie" generation I see here, conveniently ignoring the many problems the next generations have inherited from them. Take a look a the children of today, the "norms" they embrace, the grasshopper attitude so many people have (rather than the ant, putting away for a rainy day) and the negative savings rate the nation has, the way many corporations now operate, the life is cheap attitude (abortion), common politeness not so common, chivalry considered sexist and the castration of many things considered masculine.

The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime) and the left's attitude of win power no matter what the cost in Iraq (remember the recent comments about "this will win us seats"?). The "let government take care of us so long as someone else pays for it" attitude of so many entitlement programs (Bush is no better in this regard with the prescription drug program). Gun control without regard to statistics which show how many crimes are prevented due to guns and the fact that criminals will have guns with or without gun control. The "if it feels good do it" attitude without regard to your fellow man. The thought that a Prius is environmentally and/or economically a good choice when the non-hybrid version of this car actually costs less over the long haul and has less environmental impact. The hypocrisy of "leaders" like Gore who preach conservation yet practice just the opposite (and then have the gall to purchase "carbon credits" from their own companies!). The price over quality attitude. Offices where cussing is the norm and the "f word" becoming acceptable part of every day speech. Spitting on soldiers. Civil rights "leaders" turning into opportunistic race-pimps. The drug culture.

Well your kind has had the run of the country for over 6 years now and have screwed it up in every possible way you could imagine. The Right wing has ran up an incredible debt with nothing to show for it but thousands dead and maimed in a needless war. We have lost the respect of the world and are a laughing stock for electing an imbecile like Bush Jr.- Your way does not work and most of the country knows it now. It's time to throw in your right wing towel and turn the country over to the Democrats.

Your post.........Gag.
img_512614_0_8e260c3b7f1cee8327ad8cfcfa3a7925.gif

missionfinder said:

Let's play Right Wing Bingo.

Did he miss any?

missionfinder said:

Ouch. I take it that you are a child of today. Of course you must know that most baby boomers were not hippies. As in all generations, there is quite a mix. So you have someone like me: pretty much was a hippie type in my youth, I smoked my share of weed, I believe politeness is of value, I like manly men, am disturbed by the way some corporations operate, I lobby for national health insurance and I put away money for a rainy day. I don't consider life cheap, but odds are I differ from you on the abortion issue. My and DH own guns but believe in gun control. I protested the Viet Nam war but I never would have dreamt of spitting on a soldier.

The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime)
As a former student of criminal law, there are many crimes where punishment is based on your intent and what you think. For example, the punishment differs for first degree vs. second degree murder vs. manslaughter, even though in all cases the person is dead and the only difference among the crimes may be what you thought.

There, that felt good. So I did it.

unclemick2 said:
Boone's Farm gave me the runs.

heh heh :p ::) :LOL: :LOL:
Boones Farm Apple.......As I recall it was $1 a bottle.........Then I became sophisticated and moved up to Mad Dog 20 20....

missionfinder said:
I can't help but laugh

You're just having a real bad day, correct? Or, if this is a parody, it's actually a pretty darn good one. And, if it's not a parody...

I wonder what else makes you laugh. (Actually, on second thought, I probably really don't want to know what makes you laugh).

Anyhow, I'm curious about your asset allocation. And, what do you think of a SWR of 4%?

Back
Top Bottom