Are organic foods healthier for us?

I'm mixed with organic, etc. I buy free range brown eggs. They come from a farm about 30 miles away and are cheaper than most grocery store eggs-I buy them at the health food store. I don't think organic veggies are very important. It's probably more important to be choosy about your fat and protein sources, as our environmental mistakes get concentrated at the higher end of the food chain. I look for antibiotic free meat and poultry with a good diet when I can and sustainable wild caught fish, in terms of their fatty acid content. Grain fed farmed fish makes no sense and I'm not fond of the taste. This article, if correct, explains the problem with farmed salmon:

https://authoritynutrition.com/wild-vs-farmed-salmon/

I haven't bought grass fed beef yet-it's really pricey and I'm not ready to spend all my dough. No WF here and I probably wouldn't buy there. I was looking for reef safe sunscreen in Hawaii and Whole Foods had a tiny tube of ORGANIC (really?) sunscreen for $30, and it wasn't reef safe. I bought Waterbabies titanium/zinc oxide large tube for $10. It turns out all those ingredients that end in "-one" are a major culprit in reef bleaching. No need to worry about "organic" zinc oxide, that's a true gimmick!

We live next to a farm that raises goats, corn and pumpkins and a smattering of vegetables for their own market. They seem to do a pretty good business. I grow most of my own herbs, as lots are perennials with few problems with pests, some years tomatoes and squash, sometimes beans , lettuce, and other things in some raised beds. I don't plant tomatoes every year-there can be more chance for diseases and soil depletion. I compost in a bin but never add spent vegetable plants to the compost.

The easiest thing to grow is garlic. I buy a bulb at the store, split it into the cloves and stick them along the edge of the raised beds in October. When it turns cold I take raked leaves and cover them up. In the spring I take away the leaves. I ignore the garlic until July, then pull them out, wash and dry them. They do quite well hung in the dark in the basement. 15 bulbs for the price of one.

The daughter of a friend recently ordered "organic" sand for the kids sandbox. Delivered in bags by UPS. Must have been pricey.

> Are organic foods healthier for us?

Than what? With the exception of water I belive everything I eat is organic?

I do not think everything organic is healthy though. Ie eating wolfsbane or too many carbs.

The daughter of a friend recently ordered "organic" sand for the kids sandbox. Delivered in bags by UPS. Must have been pricey.

I have about 1000 pounds of lead bullets(don't think they're organic :D) that I bought online and the USPS delivered to my door. Those $9.99 flat rate boxes at 70 pounds each It was much cheaper from a caster and paying the shipping.

I have about 1000 pounds of lead bullets(don't think they're organic :D) that I bought online and the USPS delivered to my door. Those $9.99 flat rate boxes at 70 pounds each It was much cheaper from a caster and paying the shipping.

I'll bet that mail carrier left you out of his will.:LOL:

I'll bet that mail carrier left you out of his will.:LOL:

I offered, after seeing her struggle with the first two, to pick up. She declined but I picked half up. Gotta love mail carriers.

> Are organic foods healthier for us?

Than what? With the exception of water I belive everything I eat is organic?

With my science and engineering background (remote as it is) my brain still says "versus inorganic:confused:" every time the topic of organic food comes up.

Luckily I learned years ago not to say it out loud. You can thank my DW for that.

Eat what you want, I choose growing my own or eating organic when possible.

Studies, studies, we don't need no stinkin studies.

True. But that's different than a global statement that they taste better. On that I'm still not buying.

I didn't make a global statement that they usually taste better. That was a personal statement as it reflected my personal experience.

Last edited:
That doesn't ring true for me... The pesticides naturally in food have been tested by regular consumption for thousands of years.
It was also "natural" to die at 45- 50 years old. We all now live in unnatural times.

Back
Top Bottom