What are your plans for this New Year's Eve?

New Year's day happens to my B-day. As I get order, Jan 1st is not something I look forward to. So on new year's eve, I will drink to my health and sulk. :(

We are flying to Bangkok on Dec. 31. Leave in the AM and arrive at 10PM on New Years day. So, I expect that we will be in the air somewhere, or waiting in Narita for our connection.

We do a lobster tail dinner every year for NYE, with whichever of our kids are in town plus usually a friend or two of theirs. I splurge on nice champagne for the event. I may make it till midnight to see the ball drop.

I'll be sitting home alone again. Glad I found this site. I'll likely be doing lots of reading and catching up to you! :D

I used to play in a band and NYE was always work- the highest paying gig of the year usually. We encouraged irresponsible drinking because that made everything more fun. :cool: (or so we/they thought) All the party guests had a room at the hotel so that makes it a little less bad?

Between this site and the investment site I found on a thread here, I have lots to keep me productively busy as I wait for the ball to drop.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'll be sitting home alone again. Glad I found this site. I'll likely be doing lots of reading and catching up to you! :D

I used to play in a band and NYE was always work- the highest paying gig of the year usually. We encouraged irresponsible drinking because that made everything more fun. :cool: (or so we/they thought) All the party guests had a room at the hotel so that makes it a little less bad?

Between this site and the investment site I found on a thread here, I have lots to keep me productively busy as I wait for the ball to drop.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Welcome, Randy!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Welcome and Happy New Year

I will be staying home, too many drunks on the road.
We go out, but we're home by 9:30p at the very latest. I'd like to think the drunks haven't taken over the roads until later, more out in force after midnight. When we're on the road most soon to be drunks are still somewhere drinking, and not on the road yet...

Last edited:
DH and I will be doing "crime watch" at our weekend/vacation home. It's a quiet recreational community in the mountains, and the most serious "crimes" we have are typically illegal fireworks and kids knocking over mailboxes. The important thing for us is to be a visible presence to help keep the short-time renters from getting too crazy and causing damage to the community.

DH and I have taken the duty for the past couple of years on New Years Eve since most of the volunteer "watchers" attend the community party. The party is a bit of drinking and a lot of dancing; neither of us drink much and DH doesn't dance so it's not a sacrifice to be on duty. We will drive around the community a few times and probably go to bed before midnight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Change in plans. DW (who has long been the household Social Director) informs me that we are going to her sister's house, thankfully now only 15 minutes away) for NYE. It's not a bad option, we get along well with them, there will be way too much food available, a well-stocked "bar" in the garage, and I even like their dog. There will be one or two other couples there but they're all extroverts so I'll probably spend most of the time with the dog.

We're doing something different than normal. Will be attending First Night festivities about 20 minutes away. There are two things I want to see at 5 and 6 and then we may grab some dinner somewhere and then attend some other events. Plan to be home by 11 to watch the ball drop on tv.

We've been invited to 3 different New Years eve social gatherings which are within 20 minutes of each other, so we may hit one for dinner, one for socializing/dancing from 9-11, and the last to welcome in the New Year, and then get home before 1AM for a family celebration - kids are going off in all different directions with friends, but we like to get together as a family early on January 1st.

We were planning on staying home, but have decided to go to a local neighborhood tavern for an early prime rib dinner at about 4:30pm. Then come back home an watch TV for a while before I head out to the coffee shop to meet up with my pals for our nightly cup. Back home again to wait for the ball to drop, then hit the pillows around midnight.

Our refrigerator/freezer broke down yesterday. The repairman says the part won't be here until Monday. I have 60 people coming for a New Years Day open house tomorrow.

I spent last night throwing out thawed food and made a bolognese sauce in the crockpot for tonight. Much food is in a cooler with ice on our back porch or sitting on my porch table. The ice hasn't melted at all in 24 hours. I am so glad the temperatures are 26-39 today in Texas, perfect refrigerator weather.

Fun times.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

For 20 years, our New Years Eve was a 7PM to 1AM party at the clubhouse with 200 friends. Band, dancing, 2 kegs, and champagne... Lobster rolls, tables full of finger sandwiches, oysters, hot chocolate dipped cherries and like that. Games, karaoke, and everything imaginable, that could be squeezed into one evening. The cost is still $10/person, but we don't do that any more. Hard to stay awake, and a single glass of wine wouldn't help.

Now... sooo happy... dinner with friends, and home by 7:30, bed by 9, to rest up for pot roast and football tomorrow. :dance:

Attachments

• 2015.jpg
    2015.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
We are staying home tonight a DW came down with the flu, or something similar. Saved me from a night out to an expensive club, lousy dinner, and funny hats at midnight.

The couple that invited us to that party are down with the flu also.

I guess I am the only one around here that is not sick!;) (Oh, the dog is fine also).

I'm recovering from the stomach bug...able to eat today but nothing complicated. Mr B is headed to the local Legion for a very short visit to eat the free simple buffet meal they are putting out. He promised to bring me back some ham and roasted potatoes. :D

I'll watch some of the beginning of the NYC based NYE shows if I can manage to stay up that late. Doubtful...

Happy New Year! Sydney and Dubai firew*rks shows are always great to watch.

Last edited:
After leftovers at home, DW and I are bringing a magnum of Anchor Christmas, 2009 vintage, to another couples' house. Just the four of us gabbing and eating appetizers until the ball drops, if we last that long.

Last edited:
Staying home with DW. In 2011 we peaked out with doing New Years Eve in Times Square with friends. Maybe those studies that show your spending going down as you age are correct.

We're tucked in for the evening; we don't make a big deal out of New Year's Eve.

DH just found a "Twilight Zone " marathon on the SyFy channel so I may see very little of him.

I have a date with my couch tonight. I broiled a frozen Maine lobster tail for dinner (thawed it overnight)...quite good. I bought some mini bottles of Prosecco so might crack one of those in a bit when I find a movie. Tomorrow I am going to an ex-coworker's house for lunch at 1:00. I might make it to midnight as I slept in until 8:30 this morning.

Apparently, I need to learn how to use the camera in my cellphone:
img_1537336_0_6ce6559ea6748c99f16bdda8b7e889ed.jpg

And learn how to point it at the bagpiper instead of peoples heads!
img_1537336_1_8133a391844b2117fd7796a34f259f0a.jpg

Still doesn't convey the mosh-pit atmosphere that greeted the new year in San Diego! :)

Went out to dinner earlier, now staying home and taking it easy. Got a nice bottle of champagne, and also a prosecco. Will probably watch the Crab drop in Easton MD on CNN.

What are you doing or did do on New Years Eve?

We are staying home as usual. I'm drinking some CA sparkling wine now and we will eat leftovers soon.

We don't like the crowds and usual parties on NYE. Tomorrow we will attend an afternoon New Years day party at a friend's house. I will take down the Christmas tree in the morning and listing to holiday music for the last time this season.

Back
Top Bottom