What brand recliner should my husband get?

In fairness I have to say we have a La-Z-boy reclining loveseat that we like a lot. Bought it six years ago (along with a recliner chair) and quality is excellent. We have no interest in replacing it; I just didn't like the chair. So even within a furniture line, you can have hits and misses.

Another vote for Stressless. We have several as well and this year acquired another and 2 sofas. I figure I never have to buy furniture again - they wear like iron. Another bonus is that they are fairly easy to move around for cleaning.

There are a variety of models from very modern to fairly traditional and as noted they come in 3 sizes to fit variously sized people.

It's worth noting that most Stressless stores have basic leather colors in stock but they offer a wide variety of leather options to custom order. Earlier this year we had a 10 week wait (chair shipped from EU).

Gray sofas with a blue-ish chair (ignore the dust please)

stressless_1.jpg

stressless_2.jpg

Last edited:
You can't really make a judgement about price until you see and sit in them...

Actually, I can. Not to argue the point too much, but FOR ME, $2500 for a chair is too much money. Perhaps some users here don't have budgets for stuff, we do and I am not RobbieB. :D

Lazyboy’s quality has definitely gone down hill. They are having serious delivery delays. Many people are waiting 7 to 9 months for delivery. Please do check the BBB website. Not the company it once was.

Well, to be fair....there are LOTS of logistical issues for almost EVERY company right now, so I wouldn't ding them on this.

Actually, I can. Not to argue the point too much, but FOR ME, $2500 for a chair is too much money. Perhaps some users here don't have budgets for stuff, we do and I am not RobbieB. :D

Your loss then....:blush: I paid less then half of that for my Fjords on sale...my friend who owns 4 stressless went silent when in sat in my chairs

Now in my case I have a pretty much constant stiffish neck from decades of milking cows. These chairs give the proper neck and back support to be comfortable unlike LB..so to me it's not "just a chair".

Another vote for Stressless. We have several as well and this year acquired another and 2 sofas. I figure I never have to buy furniture again - they wear like iron. Another bonus is that they are fairly easy to move around for cleaning.

There are a variety of models from very modern to fairly traditional and as noted they come in 3 sizes to fit various sized people.

It's worth noting that most Stressless stores have basic leather colors in stock but they offer a wide variety of leather options to custom order. Earlier this year we had a 10 week wait (chair shipped from EU).

Gray sofas with a blue-ish chair (ignore the dust please)

View attachment 40453

View attachment 40454

Out of curiosity, is the "dent" that I see in the ottoman always there?

Your loss then....:blush: I paid less then half of that for my Fjords on sale...my friend who owns 4 stressless went silent when in sat in my chairs

Now in my case I have a pretty much constant stiffish neck from decades of milking cows. These chairs give the proper neck and back support to be comfortable unlike LB..so to me it's not "just a chair".

My loss? Ok. My only point was that some do not (or cannot) spend that amount of $$$ on a chair.

Its a natural product so probably an "indent" from someone's feet. However this proves the chair gets lots of use. Think of it a being broken in like an expensive well worn leather jacket.

I got out of that chair to take the pic - evidence of my size 11's mostly disappears in a few minutes. :cool:

I got out of that chair to take the pic - evidence of my size 11's mostly disappears in a few minutes. :cool:

Ah, makes total sense. :) I am not too OCD about stuff really, but permanent dents in furniture would bug me. I have a chair in my office that my Dad bought in 1950 something...it's still in great shape but isn't super comfortable...but is looks great! :D

My loss? Ok. My only point was that some do not (or cannot) spend that amount of $$$ on a chair.

Grumpy today I see......what's it worth to you to not have a painful neck while trying to watch a movie. This isn't too different then people paying for very expensive beds because of back problems. Or buying a really pricey office chair because of back issues.

Simply pointing out that sometimes it not always a budget issue..I have no idea why that annoys you.

This chair is over 20 years old and has been heavily used - it shows wear but is entirely comfortable still and has a lot of life in it. Money well spent imo.

ol_chair.jpg

This chair is over 20 years old and has been heavily used - it shows wear but it entirely comfortable still and has a lot of life in it still. Money well spent imo.

View attachment 40455

It's simple classic styling, comfortable and stay clean..win, win , win what do you suppose your cost per day has been to own this chair? Minimal I'm guessing.

This chair is over 20 years old and has been heavily used - it shows wear but it entirely comfortable still and has a lot of life in it still. Money well spent imo.

View attachment 40455

Looks very good for it's age! Here is my Dad's chair that has aged very well. He took daily naps in it for at least 35 years. The only "flaw" is the small gashes you can see in the ottoman. Some little arsehole kid (looking at myself) poked holes in it with a pencil when he was 5 or 6 years old.

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 35
What a timely thread. I'm redoing a bedroom to a TV room & wet bar. So I am just starting to look at recliners & couches. Came across this recliner. I LOVED it. Smooth action & very comfortable. But wowzers on pricing. About $4-4500 (with the ottoman)

https://www.americanleather.com/cirrus/

Old Lazy Boy = 17 years. Current = 5 years and falling apart.

Picked up a recliner 2 years ago that has a power adjustable head rest, for those with neck issues it's a feature well worth it. I use my laptop a lot when sitting in the recliner and it provides the needed neck/head support most recliners I've used lack. Not sure of the brand, picked it up at Sam Levitz, best to go to a showroom and test fit one.

Last edited:
Spent an hour today sitting in many many recliners at LazyBoy store.
Overwhelming.

Most of the floor models were rockers and/or swivel rockers. We want neither.
Our needs are basic I guess.
Really love the power recline feature though.
The lever and pushback recliners were hard to operate and Im fairly strong.

Sad to heat the several comments about decline in quality.
Salesperson repeated a few times that there was a 5-8 month delivery time!

I understand Covid and all. Took us 6months to get our Bosch dishwasher earlier this year.

We're going to a local furniture store to check out some other brands.

I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

https://www.stressless.com/en

My FIL falls asleep in something similar every time I am over visiting. And here I thought it was me :dance:

Hmmm….I bought my aging parents two La-z-boy recliners a few years back. Both of them are just about worn out, mom’s worse than dad’s. I was thinking that it’t about time to buy them some new ones. I have no idea how you guy get a La z boy to last 20-25 years, knowing how careful my old parents are to make things last forever, yet seeing their chairs break down.

I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

https://www.stressless.com/en
I have the exact same one in gray being delivered in a few day. It was comfortable in the store but the proof will be after using it a few days at home. I hope I have the same experience as you.

I have a nice all leather (front, back, sides) power recliner for adjusting legs, lumbar, and head. Wish it was a bit larger to accommodate my long legs though. That was the reason I bought the Stressless recliner.

Cheers!

Last edited:
ms gamboolgal and I got His & Hers Lazy Boys when I retired.

She got the exact one she wanted and I did as well. Different models but hers is hers and mine is mine.

We really like them alot and they are super comfortable.

We got the higher grade leather - different types but higher grade. Again we are very pleased and would recommend you take a look at them.

Let me put it this way. Walk into any Fire Station in the country and you'll see a row of Lay-Z-Boy chairs sitting there in front of the television. They get constant abuse by Firefighters for years without breaking. And if and when they do, Lay-Z-Boy repairs them.

I'm 30+ years of proof.

We have Stanton reclining loveseats in the house and RV, and a sofa. All are power recliners and we are happy so far.

Back
Top Bottom