what is a good brand name for furniture?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need a new couch, loveseat and recliner for the living room and was wondering if anyone knew of any brand names that were preferable to look at in terms of price, quality and longevity? I purchased the set I have now about 8 years ago and the arm rests are collapsing plus the seat cushions that get the most use have settled. I was looking yesterday at a furniture store and they had a lot of brand names I never heard of. one being catnapper. I saw flexsteel and know they have a good reputation. this furniture is not cheap, and I would prefer to buy something that will stand the use over time. thanks

frank

I have Flexsteel and Hickory Chair sofas. Flexsteel is a brand that upholsterers are looking for (used) to put into their houses, and it's moderately priced. My Hickory Chair is 2x the money with its down and innerspring cushions. If I was going for nice upholstery in a really nice house, I'd be going for Sherrill Furniture.

As far as recliners go, they're not all created equal. Mine is a Hancock and Moore--as good as they get. Barcolounger also has a high line of recliners I like. Lazy Boy and other well known recliners are simply junk furniture.

When I go into furniture stores, I seldom see any upholstery I like. So much furniture is of poor quality, and oversized for relatively small rooms in today's homes.

The furniture business is such a bad business that many cities (even large) don't have a decent furniture store. I've been known to get style numbers and upholstery swatches and order direct from North Carolina at good prices.

Like most things, you get what you pay for. We had cheapo recliners once, never again. The mechanisms and cushions broke down way too fast, and they started to look worn way too quickly.

If you want something traditional looking like La-Z-Boy, this won't work for you. But if that's not a barrier, but here's our answer to best recliners - longevity & comfort. They're very expensive, but well worth it IME. My parents have had theirs for well over 20 years, use them daily, and they are still going strong - the (simple) mechanicals and the cushions/leather still hasn't broken down (though an annual leather conditioner application is necessary). They come in every conceivable fabric, color, and many styles (all Scan) and 3 sizes (S,M,L).

Leather Recliner Chairs | Scandinavian Comfort Chairs | Recliners

ambassador575x465.jpg

Last edited:
we get all of our furniture from resale stores - way less expensive than buying new

I bought my sofa, loveseat, easy chair, and ottoman in 2011 on sale. All four together cost less than $1000 delivered. The sofa and loveseat are fine, since I seldom use them, but I use the easy chair and ottoman heavily so it pretty much self destructed. In April I replaced it with this easy chair and ottoman, which cost me over $2000 but is so, sooooooooo comfortable. I love the burgandy Italian leather and it feels so luxurious.

104239.jpg

Last edited:
we get all of our furniture from resale stores - way less expensive than buying new

A BIG +1 for this. I use Craigslist on my furniture/some home furnishings purchases. I avoid sofas/mattresses, but I have bought my dining room set, dining room buffet, a few end tables, a few lamps, a bedroom bed frame/bedroom furniture, pool table, foosball table, ping pong table, air hockey table, and TV entertainment center from Craigslist.

It all started when my sister/BIL gave me their dining room set when they were moving. Only issue is that it had 5 chairs (6th chair had a bad leg). To buy 3 replacement chairs to make a set of 8 (or even just 1 to make a set of 6) was going to cost me about $100/chair, even for the ultra cheapest of the cheapest at WalMart.

I had used Craigslist before a few times, and figured "why not look at furniture?"

In short, it blows anything else out of the water, because not only can you find EXCELLENT condition furniture for 75% off of buying new (or even much more than 75% off, figuring in taxes and buying all new), but even better: your selection is tremendously greater! I found a great modern dining room set that I never would have been able to find in my city, let alone scouring the net for countless hours to check out just a few websites. When you have just maybe 5-6 furniture stores to choose from (all of which have roughly simliar inventory), it pales in comparison to hundreds of people selling in that category, who have a wide array of sources: some from the East coast, some from the West coast, some are 50 year old sets, some are 100 years old, some 20 years old, some modern, some antique, etc.

We bought a nice dark brown leather reclining love seat and matching reclining couch about 5 years ago from Costco and they still look like new and we have not had any problems with them. We also have an entertainment center that we purchased from Costco. I'm not sure of the brands for either, but we have been pleased with those purchases. The only hassle was getting them from the store to the house, but luckly I had a trailer large enough to transport them.

Stickley furniture is very well made (in the USA) all solid wood, I have a living room set. It is very expensive but does retain it's value very well and should last a lifetime plus some.

I've been looking at some of the Amish shops for a new bedroom set, semi-custom (your choice of wood and finish), craftsmanship seems good. Anyone have any experience buying from them?

Agree with Craigslist, if you have the time. Furniture depreciates like a rock, so it is worth buying slightly used. Key is to pick your seller from the spendy side of town, selling good stuff and not trying to squeeze the last nickel out of it.

I still have my Ethan Allen DR, LR, BR set bought in 1984, but the wife did reupholster the pullout sofa about 6 years ago. Survived two moves and two kids.

I have bought a lot of Broyhill furniture . It is moderately priced and lasts forever . We finally got rid of a sofa & love seat that was bought in 1996 and it was still in good shape .It now resides at one of the kids abodes.

I've been looking at some of the Amish shops for a new bedroom set, semi-custom (your choice of wood and finish), craftsmanship seems good. Anyone have any experience buying from them?

The nicest furniture we have by far is a dining room set from an Amish company in Indiana, Fusion Designs by Amish Impressions. I have no doubt it will outlive me by a long shot. Not cheap, but functional and well crafted.

Like most things, you get what you pay for. We had cheapo recliners once, never again. The mechanisms and cushions broke down way too fast, and they started to look worn way too quickly.

If you want something traditional looking like La-Z-Boy, this won't work for you. But if that's not a barrier, but here's our answer to best recliners - longevity & comfort. They're very expensive, but well worth it IME. My parents have had theirs for well over 20 years, use them daily, and they are still going strong - the (simple) mechanicals and the cushions/leather still hasn't broken down (though an annual leather conditioner application is necessary). They come in every conceivable fabric, color, and many styles (all Scan) and 3 sizes (S,M,L).

Leather Recliner Chairs | Scandinavian Comfort Chairs | Recliners

ambassador575x465.jpg

I actually was able to buy an Ekornes stressless chair on sale from a store that was going out of business. It was brand new and about $500 off the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The nicest furniture we have by far is a dining room set from an Amish company in Indiana, Fusion Designs by Amish Impressions. I have no doubt it will outlive me by a long shot. Not cheap, but functional and well crafted.

Thanks, that is one of the companies I've been looking at.

Back
Top Bottom