Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #2021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
Got my first deer ever! With a bow. Long time friend coached me. Shot him at 25 yards. Good times!
Wow, that's awesome, congrats! I tried bowhunting for a couple seasons, but didn't get an animal. Sure have respect for the skill it takes, having to get so close then drawing and getting off a shot without spooking the critter. Plus all the practice and bow tuning required. You certainly earned that meat!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #2022

Went to the gym and made a new gym buddy today, Mike, who shocked me when he said he was 76. I figured more like 66. He said he'd been a marathon runner for 30 years, but was now getting more into lifting to give his knees a break.

Put up a few Christmas lights, just around the three vertical windows near the front door. We usually wait until after Thanksgiving, but this year could use a few extra days of color. Hope the neighbors get more enjoyment than annoyance out of them.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #2023
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you are OK MRG. Ouch for the car...it can be fixed.

We have deer around here in this part of Texas and I had a doe run out in front of me last week around 7:00 PM that I just missed. She was kind of small though and wouldn't have done too much damage as I was doing about 20 MPH at the time.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #2024
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Wow, that's awesome, congrats! I tried bowhunting for a couple seasons, but didn't get an animal. Sure have respect for the skill it takes, having to get so close then drawing and getting off a shot without spooking the critter. Plus all the practice and bow tuning required. You certainly earned that meat!

Thank you. I had good instruction, watched a lot of YouTube videos and did a lot of practice in my yard. Was the 3rd time I sat in the tree stand. Very stressful after releasing the arrow. I saw the deer jump and run a bit but he went out of sight after 30 yards. I stayed in the tree stand. Texted buddy who was hunting 100 yards away and we agree to wait an hour to track it. I was so nervous about whether it was a good shot. My buddy came to me, I put him on trail. He quickly saw blood trail and found deer 40 yards away from shot point before I even got out of stand. Such a relief!
Old 11-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #2025
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got my first deer ever! With a bow. Long time friend coached me. Shot him at 25 yards. Good times!Attachment 36722
Congratulations!
Looks like a great day and you maybe hooked. I have bow hunted all my life and I went today nd will go tomorrow. My son harvested a bow buck a few days ago and it was a great evening to spend together. He arrowed this one on my ranch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5523 (2).JPG (65.6 KB, 246 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #2026
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Congratulations!
Looks like a great day and you maybe hooked. I have bow hunted all my life and I went today nd will go tomorrow. My son harvested a bow buck a few days ago and it was a great evening to spend together. He arrowed this one on my ranch.

Wow! Thatís amazing! Do you mind sharing what state?
Old 11-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #2027
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went for a long drive w/ DW. It was wet and gray, but we enjoyed our quiet time together and it was still scenic in the lower Cascades. We had lunch in a town I'd been curious about. Curiosity sated, we drove back home and I called my parents.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #2028
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! That’s amazing! Do you mind sharing what state?
Montana

My passion is outdoors and love to connect with people like you that have conservation in mind. Hunting isn't everyone's thing so I'm always careful about that subject and who will except it.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #2029

Watching the Space X launch coverage today. Weather forecast is 50/50 at this point, so fingers crossed. They just had Travis Tritt sing The Star-Spangled Banner and showed some scenes of the launch area. Got me a little teary-eyed.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #2030

Yesterday the UPS guy rang our doorbell when dropping a package at the front door. They very rarely do that, but the Ring doorbell notifies us anyway due to the motion.

Unfortunately, the button apparently got stuck when he pressed it, and no amount of jiggling on my part could free it. So the doorbell was constantly going off and I had to disconnect it. Troubleshooting was hopeless.

Looked online and found others had the same problem and the solution in all cases was to get a replacement Ring. I wasn't looking forward to that on a Sunday, but it took less than 15 minutes and they are sending me a new one.

I know about all the potential negatives, but we really like the Ring Pro. Bought it almost a year ago and it has been great until this.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #2031

Mowed the grass for what I hope is the last time this year. Tomorrow I'll prep the mower for storage over the winter.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #2032

With the help of a "tree guy" that I had good experiences hiring before, took a diseased Hemlock down that was growing right on the rocks along the shore of our lake house. Help him drop it and had him cut the "big stuff" with his 20+ inch bar saw. I used my brandy new Kobalt 40 Volt cordless chainsaw (HIGHLY recommend, that thing is a beast on limbs) until the battery ran out, then grabbed my trusty "Husky" 2 cycle saw.

Made two runs with loads of brush and limbs to the transfer station burn pit in my pickup and 16 foot flatbed trailer. Maybe got a bit more than half the brush hauled out, but the trunk is all sectioned, and I'll just work on the rest a little at a time, at least until the snow comes.

He cut a 2" thick cross section of the lower trunk that I am going to make a table out of after I give it the Pentacryl treatment (thank God for YouTube videos!). Maybe I'll post that project in the what we're making thread.

BEAT down now, time to couch and watch football.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #2033

Prepped the lawn mower for winter storage. Put the battery on a maintainer, sharpened and oiled the blade (to prevent rust) fogging oil in the cylinder, piston at TDC on compression stroke, scraped the crud off the bottom of the deck.

Also a minor grocery run.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #2034
Recycles dryer sheets

Tuesday is standing date day with Mom (80 years young). She lives up the lane from us. Today brought over the ingredients for Broccoli and Beef and prepped a couple single servings with her for later this week. Have to make sure Mom has healthy meals ready in the fridge. Kid brother, also retired and living close by, joined in on the fun.

Time got away from us and spent most of the day over there.

Got back to the house late afternoon and headed down to the orchard to continue the endless job of trimming trees.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #2035
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Your shed work seems to go on forever, same as my DIY solar project.

That's OK though. Retirement means you do not have to rush anything, and can take your sweet time.
Tomorrow is clean up day and the sheds go in Thursday and Friday. And then I get to build shelves and a deck!

Who needs a job?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Tuesday is standing date day with Mom (80 years young). She lives up the lane from us. Today brought over the ingredients for Broccoli and Beef and prepped a couple single servings with her for later this week. Have to make sure Mom has healthy meals ready in the fridge. Kid brother, also retired and living close by, joined in on the fun.

Time got away from us and spent most of the day over there.

Got back to the house late afternoon and headed down to the orchard to continue the endless job of trimming trees.

Cherish the time you have with your mom. Mine lived across the country and I only saw her once a year and she died 5 years ago at 102.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #2037
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Tomorrow is clean up day and the sheds go in Thursday and Friday. And then I get to build shelves and a deck!

Who needs a job?
Well, we will want to see your sheds and building skills, when you get started.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #2038
Recycles dryer sheets

We got the last of our replacement windows installed today. The initial install had a hitch when the last window turned out to be 2" too big for the opening. I couldn't blame them, as it was mislabeled with the right measure. Our house is now as tight as a drum.

Time to take the dog for a walk.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #2039

Replaced the main zone circulation pump on the heating system. 3rd time in 2 years I think. I think I got the last early failure replaced under warranty, so I am going to take this one back and see if they will give me another one. But the person who built this house over did everything, and had put a 4th zone in, with circ pump stubbed out for some future need, so this morning I just moved that one on place of the failed one. If the supplier will give me a warranty replacement, I'll keep it as a spare. Also just found out that Home Depot sells them for less than this plumbing supplier does.

Will clean the pellet stove out after lunch, then take the truck and trailer and go get a ton of pellets. Down into the teens tonight....
Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #2040
Give me a forum ...

I have not done it yet, but Wednesday is the day I do the chore of fertilizing the plants all around the house, particularly the veggies.

Because of Covid, we have been home more than in past years, and will continue to be so for perhaps another year. I got more involved into gardening to help my wife, and committed myself to do fertilization weekly with a very dilute solution because of the frequency. The growth of the veggie is quite noticeable with fertilizing.

The last few days, I made several trellises for snap peas. In a couple of months, I hope to have snap peas for stir fry, for soup, for salad, and what other uses I can find on the Web. We also grow a lot more green beans.

The mild winter in the SW is the time to grow edible plants. I think I have convinced my wife to cut back on growing during the horrible summer, which does not give much results due to the heat, yet, requiring huge amounts of water which is wasteful in this arid region.

The veggie garden needs quite a bit of attention to protect it from insects, such as aphids, spider mites, caterpillars, etc... I use neem oil and insecticidal soap which are benign and not harmful to the environment.