Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #2381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I received a summons for jury duty and completed my responses online. The jury selection date is the 11th of January. I have to start checking starting January 8th to see if I have to report. Hopefully I won't get called and if I do get called I'll try to get thrown out faster than a time share presentation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #2382

Today is the first rain we have had in quite a while. We had a rain gutter installed on one side of our home with two downspouts. Unfortunately, the one downspout's water flooded an area because of the lack of drainage grade.
I called the gutter installer and he wanted $400 to fix the problem. I ordered four 10 foot downspouts from Lowe's and they rolled them out to my car in the parking lot.
I installed them , routing the water out to the street. I went out in the rain (with an umbrella) and saw it was working perfectly. Problem solved for $50
Old 12-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #2383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday there was a little snow and a winter storm warning for later in the day and all day long today. I blew off 4" or so on the driveway and ran a couple errands including some fresh gasoline for the snowblower.

I made yummy chocolate truffles with some added expresso. On my third attempt I'm getting confident about the process and tempering chocolate. Sous vide makes it easy. I've just learned about ruby chocolate it's next to try.

When we got up this morning there was another 8" of snow in our area and the snowplow had been through. Another pass with the snowblower.... We went out and walked around our circle, there were a few people clearing their driveways. Now some coffee and truffles watching some weather go by.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #2384

Brought home a new-to-me low-mileage 2017 Honda CR-V LX. Not exactly a Blow That Dough vehicle, though I did pay cash for it. Started getting my old ride ready for sale. It's a 2002 Subie Impreza RS, 5-speed manual, that has only 57k miles on it. I'm thinking it'll sell fast.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #2385

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Started getting my old ride ready for sale. It's a 2002 Subie Impreza RS, 5-speed manual, that has only 57k miles on it. I'm thinking it'll sell fast.
I bet it will! I had a '98, which was the first year for the RS2.5 (as it was known then). With the stupid gold wheels (only choice in '98). I frequently had offers to sell.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #2386

The Conscendo Evolution sailplane that I'd ordered some time ago finally arrived and I spent the afternoon configuring that. The only issue is that the variometer/altimeter sensor isn't being recognized by the electronics, and that after I spent an hour trying to finagle the wire from the receiver to the battery bay, the only place big enough for the sensor. (Sailplanes are notorious for having tight and narrow fuselages in the interest of efficiency and low aerodynamic drag.)

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually. But at least everything else works.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #2387
Full time employment: Posting here.

It’s back to the basic routine for me. Morning workout at the gym followed by tasks at home. Today I rebuilt a bicycle wheel and now heading out to give it a workout. And provided an hour of free consulting to some good friends from work.

That hour of free consulting might turn into a few days of actual work. Don’t really want to work, but happy to help a few good friends who are still doing the 9-5 gig.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #2388

Shoveled some snow, went for a walk, then sat inside and watched a 20 mph wind and 4 foot waves pile up 40 feet of snow and ice along the Lake Huron shoreline which had been bare this morning. Very cool watching the ice/slush balls getting thrown into the air to build the ice wall.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #2389
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Shoveled some snow, went for a walk, then sat inside and watched a 20 mph wind and 4 foot waves pile up 40 feet of snow and ice along the Lake Huron shoreline which had been bare this morning. Very cool watching the ice/slush balls getting thrown into the air to build the ice wall.
Wow...you must have great eyesight if you can see Lake Huron from Toronto.

Who's your ophthalmologist?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #2390
Moderator Emeritus

Snowed overnight. Backed my truck out of the garage. TPMS showed a tire at 15psi. Local shop was too busy to fix it. So I pumped air in it and drove to the nearest Discount Tire, where I got a set of all terrain tires with 3 peak mountain snowflake rating.

Then came home and plowed and shoveled the driveway and cleaned the garage. Now on hold for the last 82 minutes waiting to talk to Vanguard.
Closed Thread